Author Topic: Glad to have found you!  (Read 1484 times)

Offline sydneyguru

• Tennis Player
Glad to have found you!
« on: February 12, 2010, 07:31:39 PM »
Just found this forum and glad that I have!  I'm an old geezer who has loved the game for decades.  Played it recreationally in my teens and early 20s.  Gave it up to have a family, and only last month returned to the court.  I have followed the game all these years and have studied and learnt much.  I now have an opportunity to put into practice what I know.

My wife is encouraging me, and I feel blessed to have my health!!

I started a bit aggressively and am nursing some injuries.  I now know what I can do and what I can't.  Working on the body both on and off the court.

Loved the Australian Open.  Looking forward to continuing to learn and grow in my game.  At the present, on court, I'm somewhere in the beginner level.  My goal is to play intermediate competitive tennis in both doubles and singles.

Cheers!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Re: Glad to have found you!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 07:54:17 PM »
Welcome to the forum, good luck on getting back into tennis.  :cool:

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 02:28:29 AM »
Welcome to the forum  :) Enjoy your time spent here and good luck getting back on the court!
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 06:34:33 AM »
Welcome to the forums and welcome back to the game!  I always enjoy hearing good come back stories.  It's always a shame when someone puts down the game but it is always nice when they return.  :)
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline sydneyguru

• Tennis Player
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 05:52:48 PM »
Thanks!  My wife (second) is encouraging me which is beautiful!  I do have to stop talking about it so much, otherwise, she might withdraw her enthusiasm.   :innocent:

Over the years I have toyed with the idea of getting back on the court, but the time never seemed right until last month.  A series of events occurred and voila, here I am.

Love reading all of the stuff on the internet.  Not yet able to get a coach, but I am working hard on the basics, and my body of course.  Terribly out of shape (which my wife keeps reminding me of).  That's an area that I can work on regardless.

Love the forum!!  Thanks so much!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 07:39:25 AM »
Keep getting out on the court and it will help you get in shape for sure!  Do you have a few people you can get out and hit with?  Sometimes coming out of hibernation can make it tough to find people to hit with.   Hopefully that is not an issue for you. :)
Scott Baker

Offline sydneyguru

• Tennis Player
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 04:07:14 AM »
Actually, finding people to play with has been a stumbling block -- now that I think about it.  I've wanted to find someone for years, but never knew quite where to look.  I used to be more shy than I am now -- that didn't help either.

A couple of months ago, my wife and I were in the city shopping at a book store and the lady behind the register said something about tennis (or I asked about books on tennis, or....).  That started it.  It took several more visits for action to really take place.  That sparked a ferver inside of me the likes of which I hadn't known for quite sometime!  My wife is probably tired of me talking tennis -- it's all I can think of now.

My first weekend with the group was disasterous!!  I was so bad that the organizer of the group said that they were still evaluating me!  I was on probation and knew I needed someone to help me back into the game.  I then put up an ad in our intranet at work and found 1 person!  That led to a few more.  So, now I do have people to practice on -- and then, in another week or two, it will be back to the group.

I started too quickly and without consideration for my body (totally out of shape), so I have been nursing a couple of injuries.  My right calf is all healed, and my 'tennis elbow' is nearly there.  I have a brace and am working on my upper body strength.

Thanks for the encouragement!!

<b>

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 09:54:19 PM »
Welcome here SG!  Are there nearby clubs that you can join and/or check to see if there are other players near your level to hit with?  You can talk tennis with folks here and stop boring your wife with all that tennis excitement!  Check out our tennis journal section. 

Offline sydneyguru

• Tennis Player
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 06:47:14 AM »
I actually said something to my wife today about boring her -- and she said she enjoys me talking about it.  Nice of her to say that!!  I do believe she meant it.   :))

I have found a group that meet on Saturday afternoons.  However, I'm "on probation" (my term for 'we're evaluating you').  I do have some work-mates to hit with, but that seems to come and go.

The truth of the matter is that my game is not good enough to join a club.  I'm still in the mode of 'catch as catch can' with finding someone.  Parts of my game are 2.0, some are 2.5 and some are 3.0.  I'll need to be mostly 3.0 with some 2.5 to play in a club (my personal evaluation based on what I read about the NTRP).  I do a lot of virtual tennis so that when I can put foot to the surface, I just replay what I imagined.  That seems to be helping.  I'm not at a point where I can hire a coach.  Last night, my wife said to me, "you need a coach".  We both agree that the budget needs a boost before that can happen.  And, it WILL happen.

The sad part is that this week's date with my work-mates was called off.  Boy, was I depressed!  But, it did give me time to work on my endurance and upper-body strength.  The last of those has been a weak point my whole life.  So, even if I don't get any court-time, I'm still working on what will make my game strong.

Yes, I can talk tennis here.  This is good.  It's also good to talk to my life partner -- she is an avid fan of the game -- Fed Express is her favourite male player.  I don't remember her picking a fav female player.  She and I talk strategies and analyze the shots of the pros.  My strengths are game strategies, shot selection and footwork (a fairly good point in my on-court game).  She says that she's learned a few things from me.

I believe my court smarts is in good shape.  And, with that practice, I can make 3.5, or better.  My goal is to play intermediate level, competitively.  I figure that intermediate is 4.0 - 4.5.  Anyway, once I get to 3.5 (most likely), I'll be in a position to join some club and play that competitive game.

I went to the Journal section the other day, and read a bit.  I think my posts there would be weekly at best.  Seems pretty paltry for a journal.  I'll give it some thought.

Cheers,
<b>

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 01:37:21 PM »
A late welcome from here too. I have learned that it is always possible to find a compatible group of players anywhere at any level. Sometimes it takes a bit of time, trial and error but the long term result is very satisfying.

Offline sydneyguru

• Tennis Player
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 02:47:39 PM »
Thanks.  And, yes, you're right.  Now that I have gotten up off my behind, I did find my work-mates.  And, my wife knows a lady who plays, so she is another resource. They will come out of hiding, won't they?   ..-)

That long-term result is what keeps me going. I'm determined!!

<b>

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 07:53:17 PM »
.......and by the way, in one of my groups there are people in their 80s. I have played with 90 year olds too.
I have a harder time with those younger than me, however.
I'm expecting that  there are still many good tennis years ahead  :)) .

Offline sydneyguru

• Tennis Player
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 08:43:54 PM »
I like your enthusiasm.  I think the future looks bright for all of us 'senior' players. :innocent:

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 06:04:15 AM »
Welcome from me as well  ;-()
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline sydneyguru

• Tennis Player
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 02:47:29 AM »
Thanks.  I had an interesting match last evening -- my best effort to date.  I have a journal and I'll be making an entry either today or tomorrow.  Nevermind the score, it's the effort and my progress that is most important to me.

<b>

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2010, 10:08:35 PM »
Thanks.  I had an interesting match last evening -- my best effort to date.  I have a journal and I'll be making an entry either today or tomorrow.  Nevermind the score, it's the effort and my progress that is most important to me.

<b>

I like that attitude!
Scott Baker

Offline sydneyguru

• Tennis Player
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 05:30:57 AM »
Thanks.  If I was concerned about the score, I would have given up before I got started.  Actually, I have been in other situations where the score mattered, and I found myself compromising my game just to get the score.  To me, that's a bad way to learn good habits!  In fact, I have to completely ignore the score and go for improving my shots, positioning, stance, etc.

<b>