Author Topic: What have we gotten ourselves into?  (Read 5782 times)

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
Re: What have we gotten ourselves into?
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2010, 10:50:08 PM »
lol at the idea Americans are too liberal  :rofl_2: Most of Europe is doing just fine without the death penalty and Guantanamo Bay.

:(

Hmm... I can't believe that we project ourselves that way to the ROW since we've been very conservative since 1980-Reagan. It's been a long-time, too long, since we've been a liberal society, which is why this country is in the crapper.

Don't worry, nobody outside America is buying it. We know it's only the 'land of oppurtunity' if you're born into the wealthiest 10% of the population and don't wish to do anything remotely outside the norm. For example, if you want to drive through Alabama with 'Hillary for President', 'Nascar sucks' and 'Man-love rules' written on your cars, you will not find it a very 'free' country.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HPZpYKCpwY

Freedom of speed doesn't exist in the USA (period)

You'll lose your job--and health care--over things you do or say outside the office or post on your Facebook page.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2010, 11:56:19 PM »
lol at the idea Americans are too liberal  :rofl_2: Most of Europe is doing just fine without the death penalty and Guantanamo Bay.

Hmm... I can't believe that we project ourselves that way to the ROW since we've been very conservative since 1980-Reagan. It's been a long-time, too long, since we've been a liberal society, which is why this country is in the crapper.

Don't worry, nobody outside America is buying it. We know it's only the 'land of oppurtunity' if you're born into the wealthiest 10% of the population and don't wish to do anything remotely outside the norm. For example, if you want to drive through Alabama with 'Hillary for President', 'Nascar sucks' and 'Man-love rules' written on your cars, you will not find it a very 'free' country.

Only if you're born into the top 10%? That's news to me, as I'm from immigrant parents who came with about $200 in their pockets and eventually worked their way up to upper middle class. Stop lying. America IS the land of opportunity for those hard-working and not b**ching about everything all the time.  :)>>>>
Then we will fight in the shade.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2010, 12:17:13 AM »

Only if you're born into the top 10%? That's news to me, as I'm from immigrant parents who came with about $200 in their pockets and eventually worked their way up to upper middle class. Stop lying. America IS the land of opportunity for those hard-working and not b**ching about everything all the time.  :)>>>>

Immigrants who come to America with $200 in their pockets depress wages in America. And that's a big part of the conservative dream.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2010, 02:21:20 AM »
lol at the idea Americans are too liberal  :rofl_2: Most of Europe is doing just fine without the death penalty and Guantanamo Bay.

Only if you're born into the top 10%? That's news to me, as I'm from immigrant parents who came with about $200 in their pockets and eventually worked their way up to upper middle class. Stop lying. America IS the land of opportunity for those hard-working and not b**ching about everything all the time.  :)>>>>

Immigrants who come to America with $200 in their pockets depress wages in America. And that's a big part of the conservative dream.

Most of these immigrants are hard working and have had their share of spankings and hence eventually they end up paying more to the governement via taxes and good citizenry than half the uncaned bastards who kill good people, steal from good people and end up in jail and live off of good people's taxes.  :rofl_2:

sorry, just felt like jumping in - that statement above really doesn't have anything to do with anything.

As to Scott. you're a guy. and so am I. I have no idea how to handle girls at whatever age and I am not looking forward to it. But with your son, you realize that as a parent with 30 odd years of experience over your kids you know what's best for them. if they don't believe in church/god later on so be it but right now they go to church and will go cuz you said so. and if your son grows up to be close to the man that you are (cept taller), he will thank you for all you did very soon.
i am sure you can apply some of that logic to your daugthers too but i can't speak for whatever hormonal stuff goes on in girls .. especially at 8.. heck, I was a little kid essentially till I was 16 and only later on did i even bother questioning my parents even to myself .. cuz or else.. you know.. 'Somebody gonna get a hurt real bad'.

Here's something you should watch Scott:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn5jlrxcpkI it's 8 minutes but well worth it

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn5jlrxcpkI[/youtube]
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 10:00:45 AM by pawan89 »

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2010, 08:19:30 AM »
Well, money is no object as we only spanks the 8 & 4 year old.  But like I said, it is not often.  Maybe once every few weeks we break out the paddle.  Breaks my heart every time.

Scot are you saying you spank the kids Maybe once every few weeks.If you ask me thats way to much.Money is no object.Its not about how much one has,but taking off the kids if thay did wrong(i take it thay do get pocket money).Once when i hit one of my kids,coz he set fire to a bin inside the house.As luck would have it i came in & put it out,but it burnt a hole into the carpet that we had just layed.Apart from that our kids never got spanked unless real bad like that.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2010, 12:37:24 PM »
We spanked when they were little.  All that "time-out" stuff didn't work with our kids.  You have to see what works for you.  Spanking worked for us.  Heck, when we tried the "go to the corner for time-out", later our kid said he was thinking of other things to get into while he was standing in that corner!   So when they were smaller, we spanked.  When they became teenagers, we 'contracted'.  Meaning,

Example:

If you took out the trash on Monday and Thursdays without us having to remind you - THEN you could play your playstation from xxx time on Mondays and Thursdays. 

Things like that.  We signed it and we made them sign it and placed it on the Refrigerator with a check mark.  But the thing about that - parents HAVE to follow through.  You can't feel sorry for them when they "oh, I just forgot this one time" crap.  And you have to find something they really LIKE and would hate when you take it from them.  In today's society you guys have so much more than we had back in the day.  Now you have cell phones, computers, cable tv, guitar rock, all that stuff that they 'can't live without'. to 'contract' with them. 

As far as holding money - heck we didn't have any to withhold from them in the first place back then! :rofl_2:  Our kids didn't get allowances.  They got fed!  We were strugging in the early days so if they had food to eat - heck, that was their allowance.   :rofl_2:

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2010, 12:42:20 PM »

Lol, try living in Europe. One story of working class to middle class doesn't make a country socially mobile. America is lagging behind the rest of the world in healthcare and education, because access to the best of it is limited to the rich. And without healthcare and education, life is going to be pretty tough. I have nothing but respect for people who've worked their way up the ladder in the US, because it is extraordinarily difficult over there to do so. Try living in a country where the quality of education and healthcare you receive as a child is almost irrespective of your parents wealth, then go back to the US and proclaim it the land of oppurtunity.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2010, 01:42:52 PM »

Lol, try living in Europe. One story of working class to middle class doesn't make a country socially mobile. America is lagging behind the rest of the world in healthcare and education, because access to the best of it is limited to the rich. And without healthcare and education, life is going to be pretty tough. I have nothing but respect for people who've worked their way up the ladder in the US, because it is extraordinarily difficult over there to do so. Try living in a country where the quality of education and healthcare you receive as a child is almost irrespective of your parents wealth, then go back to the US and proclaim it the land of oppurtunity.

Upward mobility for Americans is something you read about in history books. I don't want to hear about what it was like 30 years ago. Not since the Guilded Age have Americans been so locked into their SES. If you're rich today, you're going to be rich; if you're poor today, you're going to be poor; if you're middle class today, you may be poor tomorrow.

Migrating from an assbackward country in which your life's savings is $200 isn't indicative of anything. Only that America is the land of opportunity for those who live in countries in which your life's savings is $200. Of couse, self-righteous know-nothings like FFF will go about thumping their chest and JUDGE those who are losing everything--*downward mobility* which is a byproduct of conservativism, depressed wages, busting labor, etc..--as nothing but malcontents who are "b**ching about everything all the time."

:2x4 your head:

Offline britbox

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2010, 06:21:05 PM »
Does she definitely believe in God?

Dude, she's 9.

That's about how old I was when I stopped believing in God.

Weren't the christmas presents up to scratch that year?

Offline britbox

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2010, 06:30:22 PM »

Upward mobility for Americans is something you read about in history books. I don't want to hear about what it was like 30 years ago. Not since the Guilded Age have Americans been so locked into their SES. If you're rich today, you're going to be rich; if you're poor today, you're going to be poor; if you're middle class today, you may be poor tomorrow.

Migrating from an assbackward country in which your life's savings is $200 isn't indicative of anything. Only that America is the land of opportunity for those who live in countries in which your life's savings is $200. Of couse, self-righteous know-nothings like FFF will go about thumping their chest and JUDGE those who are losing everything--*downward mobility* which is a byproduct of conservativism, depressed wages, busting labor, etc..--as nothing but malcontents who are "b**ching about everything all the time."

I think depressed wages is a byproduct of globalization and it won't get any better. It's coming full circle.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2010, 06:54:42 PM »
Only if you're born into the top 10%? That's news to me, as I'm from immigrant parents who came with about $200 in their pockets and eventually worked their way up to upper middle class. Stop lying. America IS the land of opportunity for those hard-working and not b**ching about everything all the time.  :)>>>>

kick, I just got back from another march for health care--my 5th in 12 months. A lot of "health" insurance companies have a big presence in Chicago, so we are the epicenter of the grassroots movement.

Let me lay down some knowledge on you. Try not to piss yourself laughing.

Harvard Medical School
*uninsured have a 40% higher risk of death than the insured
-Keep in mind, the Three Stooges here (Dmast, swish, and monstertruck) will have you believe that only deadbeats and derelicts go without health care, probably their own fault, too. But often, their only crime is that they lost their job and had a health condition at the time, known as the pre-existing condition, which precludes them from obtaining health care after having lost their job since health care in the US is employer based. (See how the conservatives keep Americans scared s**tless.) These are the conservative knuckleheads who will be quick to agree that the system is broken, and something must be done, but when they are in control of the congress and presidency, their intentions are clear: F' it, we're making to much money!

Business Week
*Aetna's net income for 2008 was $1.38 billion and for 2009 $1.27 billion
-And that's after clearing all their expenses, including the $2.8 million a year they piss away lobbying congress, i.e., paying off congressmen and senators. This is just 1 company, and they're not even the most egregious. I only have their blotter because the march took place in front of their downtown offices. Can you imagine? Making money off selling health care!

*Aetna's CEO made $24.3 million in 2009 and has $194.5 million in options (United Health Group's CEO made $1.6 billion in options in 6 years!); the top 4 executives made $40.5 million

*In 2009, Aetna and the other top 5 insurance companies made $12.2 billion, a 56% increase over 2008

*Aetna announced they will eliminate 350,000 members from national accounts and 300,000 from smaller group accounts
-That means, while raking in billions, 650,000 more Americans will be without health care in 2010.

Anyway, it's great to see someone else take an interest in the US Health Care saga, even if you live in the UK. :H
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 07:03:31 PM by Babblelot »

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2010, 06:59:58 PM »

I think depressed wages is a byproduct of globalization and it won't get any better. It's coming full circle.

It is, and that's not incongruent with anything I've said. It's all the same. The profit motive will always chase the lowest wage, whether here or abroad. And the people be damned. 

Offline britbox

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2010, 07:15:32 PM »

It is, and that's not incongruent with anything I've said. It's all the same. The profit motive will always chase the lowest wage, whether here or abroad. And the people be damned. 

There is a double edge it - because the people losing their jobs in the west may be damned but the recipients are obviously benefiting.  Market forces buddy.  It's a very gradual redistribution of power and wealth.  The western world will only decline economically - the game is up.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2010, 08:36:07 PM »

There is a double edge it - because the people losing their jobs in the west may be damned but the recipients are obviously benefiting.  Market forces buddy.  It's a very gradual redistribution of power and wealth.  The western world will only decline economically - the game is up.

Market forces? As in free-markets? It has nothing to do with what the markets can do for themselves. To get to the state we're in, the "market forces" we're structurally determined. There's your free-market theory.

Which leads to the conservative dream of redistributing wealth from America's middle class to the poor of the ROW with the ultimate goal of establishing America as second world country, in which there is a wealthy ruling class and a poor working class. In other words, a plutocracy, not much different than Mexico. Maybe you're new to the program, but it has nothing to do with "market forces" and everything to do with concentrating wealth and power. Get it now?

The big problem here is that the conservatives have effectively convinced Americans to vote against their best interests for decades. When the knuckleheads here finally wake up and smell the coffee, I'll be right in the thick of it.  ;-()
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 09:13:18 PM by Babblelot »

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2010, 08:45:58 PM »

What the hell do you know about LACK of social mobility? Do you have some special insight into what's going on with all 300 million Americans?  :ZZZZZ) :ZZZZZ) :ZZZZZ)

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2010, 08:53:55 PM »

What the hell do you know about LACK of social mobility? Do you have some special insight into what's going on with all 300 million Americans?  :ZZZZZ) :ZZZZZ) :ZZZZZ)

Go get your dinner. Mommy's calling. Bed time is in a half hour. Make sure you brush your teeth.

Offline TheEternalCowboy

• Tennis God
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2010, 09:33:05 PM »
So in summary, Scott, your daughter is acting up because of the lack of a single payer health care system. 

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2010, 09:57:04 PM »
Go get your dinner. Mommy's calling. Bed time is in a half hour. Make sure you brush your teeth.

It's laughable that you think you're the mature one here.  :whistle:

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2010, 09:57:26 PM »
So in summary, Scott, your daughter is acting up because of the lack of a single payer health care system. 

:rofl_2: Actually, its the bankers fault.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2010, 07:24:53 AM »

That and that he should spank his children with Adam Smith's invisible hand.