Author Topic: Kingskid Journal  (Read 5180 times)

Offline kingskid

• Tennis Enthusiast
Kingskid Journal
« on: March 05, 2010, 01:06:16 PM »
I suppose it's fitting that I keep an online journal since I keep a "in real life" journal as well.  :)  

Let's see...what's my history with the game of tennis?  I took a Summer class once while in middle school but just like all the other interests I had when I was young, it wasn't cultivated or encouraged by the coach or my parents (they worked 2nd shift and couldn't be there for me).  Despite enjoying the lessons I ended up quitting pretty early on because I had to walk over to the high school by myself and it seemed like no one cared anyway, so why should I?

And then I met Scott my freshman year of college and it was tennis this, architecture that, lifting weights this and tennis that.  He was (and still is) SUCH a driven guy.  Whatever he gives his full attention to it is receiving his absolute best and completed to the highest degree possible.  That's why I do my best to keep his full attention on ME!!  :wub:  So I loved tennis b/c he loved/loves it so much.  We took a semester course of it and he, of course, received an A and I think I got a B or something close to it.  But I still didn't PLAY or have real interest in tennis for myself.

Like I said in my introduction, every time I would watch a match Scott has played I had this tugging feeling "MAN, I KNOW I could do this and I want to."  But it was never a good time for me with working, Scott's tennis, kids, kids and more kids.  NOW THOUGH...now is my time!  I called a local club and asked if they could possibly squeeze me into some lessons that were already in process and they did.

My first lesson was last Sunday and it went as well as could be expected for a real beginner.  The pro had us do about ten minutes of body motions only so we could have our brains/body feel and see what it should be doing when we are going through each stroke.  It was kinda goofy but I get it. Then we bounced the ball and balanced it a little...bor-ing!   :ZZZZZ)  But then we got to practice hitting the ball, which I loved! Oooh, the pure thrill when the ball hits that sweet spot and soars across the court!  It didn't even have to go in...in fact, it went across the courts and nearly hit the other pro, but who cares...I hit it!  

Gotta scoot for now - more later though!  
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 03:23:18 PM by kingskid »

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
Re: Kingskid Journal
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 02:34:37 PM »
Fun to read both parts of your post!
Hitting with a pro is always encouraging because he/she feeds the ball so well. In addition, they keep harping on the bad mistakes. Eventually one corrects just to get some peace.
Group classes are not as good tennis wise but they do have their social aspects. I gave up going to a class some years ago but each of the four groups I regularly play with now syarted with a social connection from there and I'm glad I went.

Offline sydneyguru

• Tennis Player
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 04:47:41 PM »
Loved reading your journal entry.  And, loved even more that you have found an outlet for that passion.  It's a bit sad that no one cared.  We all need that when we embark on a journey of exploration, learning, and accomplishing.  KEEP AT IT!!

I, too, have that thrill of getting on the court and hitting the sweet spot, or aceing my opponent, or, getting that shot in that I never got in before.  That's what keeps you coming back.

If you read my journal entry, you'll see that I'm on the other end of the age spectrum.  Getting back into the game was the key for me, and it sounds like it's one of the best things you've done for yourself.  Congrats!!

Look forward to reading more about how you're doing.

<b>

Offline kingskid

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 03:00:34 PM »
Ahhhh...two tennis sessions in ONE day.  SWEEET!!

I went to my Sunday a.m. beginners lesson at the club and I did okay.  I got a better feel for a two handed backhand and definitely felt the success of it.  I thought I preferred the one handed, but Scott said he'd advise I stick with two hands for better control for now.  And he was right.  There were only four of us today so we each got plenty of play time. We practiced serving with our arms already back with the elbow pointing behind us, which was actually smart for me b/c it took out the thought process of winding up.  It's just tough to remember all the components all at once.  We also practiced hitting one from the baseline, coming forward then to hit the second at the service line and then ending with a volley. I had a different pro this time too, that makes the third in three sessions.  Unfortunately, just about the time I get warmed up and hitting a little consistent - it's time to go!

So when I got home I chatted Scott up about possibly going to hit outside while the kids played at the park.  Took a quick drive over to the courts and even though they were still banked in with snow, the courts were semi cleared, well two of them were.  I definitely hit more OUT than in, but I was fairly consistent with getting them over the net.  Overall I had a lot more fun hitting with Scott than in my lesson and I cannot wait for Tuesday when we can hit the courts again after work.  I'm achey right now, so I can imagine that tomorrow will be interesting crawling out of bed.  Tennis is a GREAT workout.  Much better than what I've been giving myself at the gym!

{impatiently waiting for Tuesday} Big Grin

Offline kingskid

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 09:14:09 PM »
So, Scott and I hit at the beginning of the week and if I remember correctly (my memory doesn't serve me well anymore  :confused1: ) I pretty sure I was exhausted and left the courts having not hit very well at all.  My right arm was uber weak and it felt like my wrist wouldn't do what my brain was asking it to.  STUNK.  P-U

Today we went out again.  Three of the four courts had people on them and the only one left had a puddle.  Psh!  A week ago we were playing with big banks of snow surrounding the courts. so no problem!  Our neighbors even joined in the fun with us. Guys went one way and girls the other.  It was just for fun btwn us girls and she was more clueless than I am, so it was the blind leading the blind on our court.  I am happy to report though...there were hardly any balls winging over into the other courts and even though I still cannot place my backhand very well...it has some good force behind it.  I'm not following through very well and charging the ball too much.  That's the biggest thing in my head right now.  My feet start moving before my racquet does and I often find myself having missed the ball entirely or I am crowding it and looking like a complete spaz attempting the hit anyway. :)~

The best part was about an hour into hitting the clouds loomed overhead, a few cracks of lightening and then a HUGE peel of thunder ripped across the sky.  LOL  :rofl_2:  Zman and all the girls came screaming onto the tennis courts from the park completely freaking out.  As we were trying to console them a little, the sky opens up and it POURED rain.  We scooped up the kids and ran for the car, but noticed that our neighbor guy and his daughter stayed out still hitting in the downpour.  Well, that didn't suit our Abby one bit, so Scott jumped back out (hey, they were already drenched anyway right?), grabbed the two racquets from the trunk and jogged back out to the courts with Abby to bat the ball back and forth for another ten to fifteen minutes.  The two little ones and I watched from the van, but my Mommy Heart was just gushing as I did.  Memories were being made right there.  Some dads would have said "nope, we're already soaked and I have a meeting I have to get leave for in 30 minutes (which he did)" but not Scott.  Where's the melting heart smiley?  Okay, Okay...I'll shut up now. 

Third "official" lesson on Sunday morning! 

Offline kingskid

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 03:26:39 PM »
My third official lesson went well this morning..well, except for hitting the new girl square with a wayward forehand.  YIKES!  :paper bag:

This pro (the one who was suppose to be teaching all along, but has been absent the past two weeks. Nice gal!) put us right to work and one of the other people in the class mentioned at the net "I'm so glad you are back, the other pros were slow and bor-ing."  I was rusty at first and had to be corrected a lot (including on my grip and following through *doh*), but once I was warmed up and she started us in a game of "four at the baselines" which is first team to seven...I was doing okay!  There were six of us so I had to sit out a few times, but the three I played my team won two, and the third was 5-7.  SO, I held my own! 

Two good things out of today's practice:
1) the pro asked me if I had played prior to these two lessons b/c I looked like I was doing well.  YAY!  Hitting with Scott is helping a lot!
2) I realized (even though Scott had complimented me on it before) that my footwork is good.  I was able to get to balls and would try for lots that the others (who had more lessons than me) couldn't or wouldn't.  So that gave me some confidence!!

I'm sitting here at home watching the clouds part above and wishing for more time on the court. 

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 04:51:45 PM »
I haven't been able to pick up a racquet in two weeks!  So I feared what a big goof I might look like at my lesson this morning.  Fear not!  I did just great!  I was able to hit my forehand well, although my backhand needs some oiling up (follow through, woman!).  I seem to do better when we play four at the baseline (and basically just try to keep it in play - first team to five) or when we got to start a little dubs today.  When the pressures' on I rise to the challenge.  When you put me in a line of five to six people and I have time to think about what I'm suppose to do then I get all crowdy and pay attention to one thing instead of completing the whole stroke.  Like my backhand...just make me do it and I do just fine, place it and all.  But make me do it in a line of people and I immediately start wondering which foot should go in front (and I know it's the opposite side of whichever hand I'm hitting) and get it wrong.  What the hey!? 

But I had a GREAT time playing beginner dubs!  I even signed up for a 3.0 and under tourney for May.  It's really for fun (in my eyes), but it's more structure than I have ever had, so it's giving me incentive to get out on the courts now.

I *heart* tennis.

Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline kingskid

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 04:56:56 PM »
Uh, sorry all...that was from me again.  I have GOT to start checking WHO is logged in at this puter BEFORE I post. 

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 02:25:11 PM »
I warned ya that time too.  :)
Scott Baker

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 02:40:39 PM »
I haven't been able to pick up a racquet in two weeks!  So I feared what a big goof I might look like at my lesson this morning.  Fear not!  I did just great!  I was able to hit my forehand well, although my backhand needs some oiling up (follow through, woman!).  I seem to do better when we play four at the baseline (and basically just try to keep it in play - first team to five) or when we got to start a little dubs today.  When the pressures' on I rise to the challenge.  When you put me in a line of five to six people and I have time to think about what I'm suppose to do then I get all crowdy and pay attention to one thing instead of completing the whole stroke.  Like my backhand...just make me do it and I do just fine, place it and all.  But make me do it in a line of people and I immediately start wondering which foot should go in front (and I know it's the opposite side of whichever hand I'm hitting) and get it wrong.  What the hey!? 

But I had a GREAT time playing beginner dubs!  I even signed up for a 3.0 and under tourney for May.  It's really for fun (in my eyes), but it's more structure than I have ever had, so it's giving me incentive to get out on the courts now.
I *heart* tennis.

You should do rather well in that tourney Scooter, as long as Babble isn't playing. :rofl_2:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 03:36:14 PM »
Babs scares me...
Scott Baker

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 07:57:27 PM »
Babs scares me...
I can understand that.
He must have at least 6" on you.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline kingskid

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 12:16:34 PM »
Went out today and hit some serves while the kidlets played on the courts and retrieved the balls for me.  Great for outdoor time and both kids really like it.  None of my serves went in at first, but after about 15 minutes I had 95% of them in.  I took Scott's racquet out with me to give it a try and didn't like it.  It might just be in my head but the grip/handle (what's it called, I dunno?) on his felt bigger than the one I'm using.  It can't be all that much, if at all, but it didn't feel right.  I'm using a borrowed racquet right now and am eager to get one of my own.  Thing is I just don't know what feels right.  I know I can demo sticks at the club, but after lessons it's always a rush of people and so I don't feel like asking.  I need to get this racquet thing done though...I want to have one of my own so I can move on.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 02:05:12 PM »
Just a note: if you're getting 95% of first serves in, you can afford to hit a lot harder. Anything between 50-70% is fine.

Offline kingskid

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 03:03:19 PM »
Thanks, Kick! At this point I'm just super glad to be getting them in the right spot. 

I have to admit this though: when we were almost done some guy came in with a female partner and I thought, "Oh they're probably wanting to play a game, I'd better move out of here."  Uh, no.  This must have been his very first lesson with this gal and I had the pleasure of watching someone I felt I possibly had an advantage over!  Tee hee hee. 

Offline kingskid

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2010, 06:22:51 PM »
So I came home last night after a loooong day at work, the late church service (Don Piper was there - Google his testimony - awesome) and a later trip out to purchase a bed for our youngest...and what did I find? 

A BRAND SPANKEN NEW TENNIS RACQUET!!

Ooh, and she's perty.  A Wilson NCode six-two black and white with a brand new overgrip put on especially thin and sexy by my hubby.  *deep dreamy sigh*  Am I a lucky girl or WHAT!? 

So OF COURSE I took it for it's first spin at lessons this morning.  It was really great - felt perfect in weight and grip.  I really didn't give it a whole lot of thought as I was using it, but isn't that a good thing?  Plus I don't have any real background or knowledge to compare it to, so as far as I'm concerned it's an awesome racquet and I'm VERY thankful to my hubs for taking two hyper children (five and under) with him to get it late at night just to surprise me.

I stunk up the courts at first this morning with all the drills, but then we got into some play time and I did a lot better!!  Once again, I feel like I react better when I don't have to THINK about doing it a certain way and wait for the critique.  And as usual, just the time I got all warmed up and eager, the clock struck nine and *whoosh* it was over. :( 

Scott took me out this afternoon though and hit balls to me for about an hour or so.  It's pretty clear that he's so far out of my league especially when he hits the ball at a speed that would be "normal" for him and I just have to watch it whiz by me/my racquet.  :)~  I'm glad I have him to hit with though!  Once again...a lucky girl!

Oh, but OWWW-WIE...my muscles ache.  I'm SO ready for bedtime. 

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2010, 07:13:47 PM »
Sounds like a sweet stick and a sweet hubby!

You are indeed a lucky girl. :)

CONK da ball!!!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2010, 09:00:26 PM »
Yes I am sweet.  But be sure to tell everyone about your glory shot.  :)

We were in a rally and she hit a very shallow angled ball to my backhand and she was maybe mid court when she hit it, probably standing right on the "T".  I run up to get it, decide to slice that puppy right up the line for a winner.  I slice it up the line, that ball was going for the corner, it was looking gooooooood.  But that lasted for about .2 seconds because she had apparently came on in to the net after she hit the short angle.  She read my slice up the line and volleyed cross court for the winner.  All I could do is laugh.  It was a good read and a good shot.  Next time I should pay a little attention to where she is.  :)
Scott Baker

Offline Victor

• Tennis God
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 03:24:52 AM »
Yes I am sweet.  But be sure to tell everyone about your glory shot.  :)

We were in a rally and she hit a very shallow angled ball to my backhand and she was maybe mid court when she hit it, probably standing right on the "T".  I run up to get it, decide to slice that puppy right up the line for a winner.  I slice it up the line, that ball was going for the corner, it was looking gooooooood.  But that lasted for about .2 seconds because she had apparently came on in to the net after she hit the short angle.  She read my slice up the line and volleyed cross court for the winner.  All I could do is laugh.  It was a good read and a good shot.  Next time I should pay a little attention to where she is.  :)

Way to go! Two more months and the wifey will beat the hubby!  :rofl_2: I am happy you are both having fun doing our beloved sport!
Dont fight about tennis, support tennis.

I just didn't think I would be seeing a clay court tournament where Roddick is still in it and Nadal is out.   -   Dallas -  31 May, RG 2009

Offline kingskid

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2010, 07:57:00 AM »
LOL...yea, I think I remember that b/c I think I yelled in VICTORY.  Hee hee.  But I highly doubt I'll be able to give him a respectable match let alone EVER beat him.  I'm willing to TRY though.  :))

Hope to get out tonight with my neighbor who knows less than I do, but is a good rally.  What I hope for myself soon is to be able to place a shot on purpose and keep the ball in play.  Right now the balls are just getting across and sometimes I get lucky with a sweet shot like what I pulled on Scott.  I also want to stay conditioned through the week.  Sunday only tennis is good, but not good enough. 

:rofl_2:

It's kinda funny really...b/c back when I was left at the house with the kids and Scott would go play two and three times a week I was all "uh, not cool.  You played ONCE already.  Geesh, two and three times is a TON."  But now that the shoe is on the other foot...I'd LOOOOVE to go play two and three times a week.  I'm so thankful to have the same mind about this now.  Quite a blessing!