Author Topic: Loose Grip  (Read 3069 times)

Offline TheEternalCowboy

• Tennis God
Loose Grip
« on: August 23, 2010, 12:45:07 PM »
Not a question perse, but I have recently discovered how much power/spin you add on serves and strokes when you use a really, really lose grip.  I finally understand why the forehand is a more powerful shot for most players when compared to the backhand.  You just can't get that extra whip with a loosely gripped backhand, like you do on the forehand.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
Re: Loose Grip
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 12:57:55 PM »
Not a question perse, but I have recently discovered how much power/spin you add on serves and strokes when you use a really, really lose grip.  I finally understand why the forehand is a more powerful shot for most players when compared to the backhand.  You just can't get that extra whip with a loosely gripped backhand, like you do on the forehand.
The tip I always keep in mind when serving is this:

Hold the racquet as though you were holding a small bird-  just tightly enough so it won't fly away.

Removing the tension from the hand, wrist and forearm allows you to swing 'faster' instead of 'harder'.

Cheap, easy, power!

Crack a few serves for me, will ya? :))
CONK da ball!!!

Offline TheEternalCowboy

• Tennis God
Re: Loose Grip
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 01:09:11 PM »
The tip I always keep in mind when serving is this:

Hold the racquet as though you were holding a small bird-  just tightly enough so it won't fly away.

Removing the tension from the hand, wrist and forearm allows you to swing 'faster' instead of 'harder'.

Cheap, easy, power!

Crack a few serves for me, will ya? :))

Roger.  Basically everything you said I only discovered recently.  All this time, I've been trying to power through the ball with my manly, manly forearms.  Unsuccessfully, probably for lack of manliness.