Author Topic: My game has gone AWOL! Ugh!  (Read 2494 times)

Offline fedhingis067

• Tennis Addict
My game has gone AWOL! Ugh!
« on: March 19, 2010, 06:07:32 AM »
-I keep framing my forehands.
-My grip is always slipping on my backhand (one-handed).
-I'm not feeling the ball.
-My serve went from solid to Safina. I'm double faulting in the double digits when I used to have pretty good placement on my second serve.
-I can't hit a dropshot anymore.

The last time I played great was way back in December, since then my game has slowly been falling apart. Very frustrating!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Re: My game has gone AWOL! Ugh!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 10:03:46 AM »
It always sucks when that happens, and it has happened to the best of us.  Are you getting out on the court as much as you would like to?

Also, I find things can go astray when you stop watching the ball.  My game always goes up a notch when I am watching the ball well.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline fedhingis067

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 10:45:37 AM »
Well yeah I go to the courts quite a lot. But the thing is no one really plays singles, it's almost always doubles (which I despise playing to be honest). That's another thing, I'm trying to get my eye on the ball but it's almost like my peripheral vision is taking over. Maybe I just need a break lol

Offline TheEternalCowboy

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 01:24:39 PM »
Didn't you have a needle in your foot, or was that someone else?  How is that going?

I much prefer singles as well, I don't get to work on as much or play with as much variety when doing doubles.  When I get in a funk, I just try to focus on one single thing at a time, and move on from there.  It's usually "stop taking your eyes off the ball" first, and then whatever follows follows.

Offline fedhingis067

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 01:27:49 PM »
Nope, wasn't me. But I did have pain in my Achilles tendon last year :Confused: I bought an ankle brace and played less and it went away.

Maybe I'm just thinking too much when I play. I've noticed when I just go out there and play without thinking much everything feels more natural.

Offline Arjen

• Tennis God
  • Federer, BAKKER, Rod, Nole!Stay uninjured Haase!:D
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 05:46:48 AM »
In my case it's usually the basics that I'm neglecting.
Look at the ball and move your feet.
This can help a lot more than you'd think.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 06:30:04 AM »
In my case it's usually the basics that I'm neglecting.
Look at the ball and move your feet.
This can help a lot more than you'd think.
Ayuh, I agree.
If those 2 components of your game are clicking, everything else should feel pretty good.

How much time are you actually practicing?
Even hitting against a wall can go a long ways towards helping you sort things out.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline session

• New Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 11:06:52 AM »
hope your game is improving. Otherwise you can read this article on squidoo: newbielink:http://www.squidoo.com/mental-aspect-of-tennis [nonactive]
I think i could help you a lot!

Glen

Offline Bonkosan

• Tennis Player
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 12:53:02 PM »
Maybe I'm just thinking too much when I play. I've noticed when I just go out there and play without thinking much everything feels more natural.
This has been a serious problem I had in the past. I was watching like 2 hours of instructional videos every day for a week or so and at a certain point I couldn't hit a single ball anymore. Instead of watching the ball and actually playing tennis, the only thing that was going on in my head was "split step, short steps, racket head open, weight transfer etc..............". It simply paralised me and I was playing like someone who picked up a racket for the first time in his life. During one session I was fed up, went home early and decided not to play or watch tennis for two weeks. After this break, my mind was fresh and my game went back to its old level in no time. You should give it a try, it might help you!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 09:25:28 PM »
A break cannot hurt, sometimes it is good to get away from the game for a bit. 
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 11:44:45 PM »
It always sucks when that happens, and it has happened to the best of us.  Are you getting out on the court as much as you would like to?

Also, I find things can go astray when you stop watching the ball.  My game always goes up a notch when I am watching the ball well.

From the above; your foot work is off!  You need to get ready for each shot, stroke.  It all timing and your footwork is the key to a clean sweetspot hits.  If you watch a good player hitting; don't watch their racket; watch their footwork - their steps that he/she uses to prepare to get into positon to hit the back back.  You will see it is small steps but a lot of them - not a step or two but the player is aways continuously adjusting to get the right balance for the return stroke.  Watch Federer or Nadal if you have a chance - when they hit the ball - their footwork is many small steps.  If you can copy them or better yet - Justine Henin; you will be not only a good player but could be a tour player at least!  But how many can do the same as these three players?  Not many; that for sure!

The serve is mostly, ball toss!  Just need to practice tossing the ball in a straight line just in front by 5 inches just above you for a straight serve.  Of course, you need to do it a little right or left when you are serving to the outside corner/inside(down the "T")  (righthand or lefthanded player).   Time the serve at the top of the toss!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 11:56:16 PM by HarryWild »