Author Topic: For all the haters...  (Read 2368 times)

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
For all the haters...
« on: December 24, 2004, 06:44:50 PM »
And I know this is going to blow my bandwidth for the month but oh well, ITS CHRISTMAS!!

What is this you ask? Venus Williams training in Palm Beach for what else, the 2005 Australian Open. Now I dunno about Serena but Venus definitely seems to have her ass together. She's putting in the work and I hope she starts to see the results.

Also, from an interview Venus did.

Metro: Last October, you celebrated 10 years as a pro tennis player. What's your assessment for this period?

Venus: Those were ten crucial years for my life and my career: I have to say that tennis just twisted my life. If I just think for a moment to that Oct. 31, 1994 when I made my debut - with all that hunger to become the best one - still, I feel shivers down my spine. I feel very lucky.

Metro: Do you feel completely satisfied with yourself?

Venus: When you obtain great results iin your career, you always run the risk to feel too satisfied, becoming a pale shadow of the hungry wolf you were before. This should never happen to an athlete. But after four Slams and an Olympic title, I still want to go on winning.

Eat it  :)~

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
For all the haters...
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2004, 06:49:39 PM »
No haters here yo.  She needs to be busting her butt because the competition is tougher than it used to be and she cannot just steam roll her forst 5 opponents in slams anymore.  You can bet your butt there are 1000+ girls out there just as hungry (if not more) for success as she is and they are training too.  They are just not as good as the Williams sisters.  But if they are not practicing and working on their game and slip, well, we have already seen what can happen.   ;>)
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
For all the haters...
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2004, 07:20:35 PM »
Yeah, that's true what you've said about the other hungry chicks. I think that the sisters slacked off becuase they felt they had a reason to now...the injuries. I mean, they're in their early 20's and I can understand wanting to have a life outside of tennis when its all you've done since before you wre born. I understand that and I respect them for wanting to be more than just a tennis player. But they've hd their fun in 04 and its time to get back to what they're best at, hitting tennis balls and winning slams.

Can't wait to see how 05 turns out...ON MY BIRTHDAY!!! AUSTRALIAN OPEN!!!! HAHA lol jk

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
For all the haters...
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2004, 01:24:08 AM »
Yeah, I'm a big fan of Venus but I feel like her time has passed.  I'd be surprised if she ever dominates again the way she once did.  Her forehand is pretty fugged up, and people don't fear her the way they once did and probably never will again.  Serena could dominate again if she puts the work into it, all of her strokes are pretty darn sound, but Venus has issues.  And neither one of them are all that mentally tough.  I used to think they were but now I think they know they can PHYSICALLY intimidate the other girls but aren't naturally KILLERS mentally.  They're both pretty sweet girls Serena's chronic excuse making aside.

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
For all the haters...
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2004, 11:58:13 PM »
I feel you, ill Logic.

I dont think its really necessary for either of them to dominate like they did before. Serena becuz she has mentallity issues that I have to believe will never pass and Venus because her game just isn't ahead of the rest of the field like it used to be. Though I do believe its incredibly possible for both Serena and Venus to be ON TOP again. And what I mean by that is be top players, losing only to perhaps 3 or 4 women occasionally but constantly putting up a fight. I think they can definitely be in that top 5 and dominate the rest of the field outside of those other 3 women in the top 5. I sure do hope they get back to playing well...it was more exciting for me, at least, when they played brilliant matches even if they did lose. Now, its just not as much fun.

Merry X-mas everybody...even tho its technically gone.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
For all the haters...
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2004, 06:50:56 AM »
What the heck are those moon shape things in the pictures?  There is none on the third picture, but at least 1 in all th other pics.  There is like 4 in the first pic.
Scott Baker

Offline TennisinCorfu

• Tennis Player
For all the haters...
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2004, 09:39:33 AM »
You know what I would love to see Venus or even Serena do?

Hire Brad Gilbert.

They can afford him and he would teach them how to think on the tennis court. Then, you would really see dominence from these young ladies!!
Phil

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
For all the haters...
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2004, 12:09:04 PM »
That's a great idea.  ^

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
For all the haters...
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2004, 12:11:25 PM »
I would love to see them do that too, but I picture them always sticking with thier Dad for some dumb reason...
Scott Baker

Offline TennisinCorfu

• Tennis Player
For all the haters...
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2004, 08:17:54 AM »
I don’t think Brad Gilbert will hook up with anyone for a while, for some very real reasons.

1). Brad charges a LOT of money and very few players can afford to have him on the team. That’s why he has only coached Mary Pierce, Andre Agassi and Andy Roddick. They were/are all making HUGE bucks and can/could afford him.

2). Brad is an incessant talker. He has too to get his point across. A LOT of these foreign kids can speak a little English, but most of them don’t understand it very well, especially if you speak like a machine gun, like Brad does. Plus, most of these foreign players have entourages who probably speak ZERO English, so who would he speak to during matches? So Brad will need either an American, Brit or Canadian who also can afford him.

3). With that being said, they’re really only 3 American players that could afford to pay him; Capriati and the Williams sisters and, as much as I would LOVE to see Brad coaching one of these ladies, they are unfortunately (for Brad and probably for them as well) being coached by their fathers and blood (and money) are thicker then Brad’s strategic coaching abilities!
Phil