Author Topic: Combining tennis with boxing ?  (Read 2265 times)

Offline Arjen

• Tennis God
  • Federer, BAKKER, Rod, Nole!Stay uninjured Haase!:D
Combining tennis with boxing ?
« on: April 15, 2010, 07:04:06 AM »
I'm off to collage next year and I'm considering to try boxing. I was wondering if anyone has experiance with playing boxing (and tennis at the same time).
Tennis will definitely stay my primairy sport so I would like to know your thoughts on whether playing boxing will hurt someone's tennis (outside of getting injuries) and how big are the chances to get an injury with boxing, and does playing tennis next to boxing improve your chance of getting an injury during either of these sports?

I hope you will share your views on this :)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Re: Combining tennis with boxing ?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 05:00:23 PM »
Well you are certainly prone to get hurt in boxing, but that should be fun!  I did jiu jitsu in college along with tennis.  Loved it!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline FLAG3264

• Tennis Player
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 08:13:12 PM »
Other than getting hurt, it can probably help with exlposive foot movement and reaction speed.

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 02:40:00 AM »
In boxing; you have to develop a punch, combinations, fakes and learn to protect yourself against getting hit!  If you do not have the right stomach muscles or in bad shape; it only takes one punch to bring you down.  Getting hit in the head will do the same if it is a direct and a strong punch.  Jabs will make you dizzy and a combination may bring you down too.  Just make sure you are not hit so hard that you fall backwards to the ground; land on your head.  You will either end up in the hospital or in bed for a couple of days if not a week.  This is very rare but it does happen if it a punch that knock you out in the air before you land on the ground.  It is fun to spare; but a real bout is very scary since it is a real bout and each of you are trying to pretty much destroy the other.  It is very, very tiresome 3 minutes.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 02:43:17 AM by HarryWild »

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 08:12:53 AM »
In boxing; you have to develop a punch, combinations, fakes and learn to protect yourself against getting hit!  If you do not have the right stomach muscles or in bad shape; it only takes one punch to bring you down.  Getting hit in the head will do the same if it is a direct and a strong punch.  Jabs will make you dizzy and a combination may bring you down too.  Just make sure you are not hit so hard that you fall backwards to the ground; land on your head.  You will either end up in the hospital or in bed for a couple of days if not a week.  This is very rare but it does happen if it a punch that knock you out in the air before you land on the ground.  It is fun to spare; but a real bout is very scary since it is a real bout and each of you are trying to pretty much destroy the other.  It is very, very tiresome 3 minutes.

I did some sparring in college for Jiu Jitsu and it was rough.  I was in great shape too and it can wear you out with the quickness.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Tennis Fitness Love

• New Poster
  • Love Tennis, Love Fitness
    • Tennis Fitness Training
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 03:48:20 PM »
Boxing will for sure help you with your footwork. And also the quick explosive power. I think that almost any new athletic skill that you can acquire will help you in some way to become better athlete and tennis player.
newbielink:http://www.tennisfitnesslove.com [nonactive]
Tennis specific fitness will make you better tennis player!

Offline Jenna91Zwang

• New Poster
  • I am an animator.
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 02:14:44 AM »
Hey Arjen, it would be far more better, if you would concentrate on a single sport..... It would be tedious for you to handle both at the same time....

newbielink:http://www.comprarmonedasdeoro.com/gold-price-chart.html [nonactive]
newbielink:http://www.comprarmonedasdeoro.com/gold-price-chart.html [nonactive]
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 05:59:45 AM by Jenna91Zwang »

Offline FLAG3264

• Tennis Player
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 12:46:27 PM »
TEST