Author Topic: Itchy & pusssssy  (Read 2148 times)

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
Itchy & pusssssy
« on: April 29, 2010, 05:51:29 PM »
I have poison ivy on every appendage as of today.
My reward for picking 10 gals. of fiddleheads last week.
It was worth it! :))

We'll see if I'm whistlin' the same tune this weekend after the rash has had a chance to morph. :mad1: :blue:

note-  this post was entered with one-hand whilst the other was busy scratchin' pussssy spots all over me body.

Enter your favorite fiddlehead recipe here---->   :tounge-smile:
CONK da ball!!!

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
Re: Itchy & pusssssy
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 07:06:58 PM »

We'll see if I'm whistlin' the same tune this weekend after the rash has had a chance to morph. :mad1: :blue:

note-  this post was entered with one-hand whilst the other was busy scratchin' pussssy spots all over me body.

The best part of having poison oak (west coast) is taking a HOT shower and letting the water do all the scratching. Ahhhh...
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 07:57:57 PM »
Be careful in the bathroom.  ;-()

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 06:27:33 AM »

The best part of having poison oak (west coast) is taking a HOT shower and letting the water do all the scratching. Ahhhh...
Hot shower??? :yikes:

Usually a cold bath (or pool) in bleach water is the norm.
I've also started using a soap called Tecnu each time I go out.  This has helped to limit the severity.
I usually end up on steroids when it goes systemic.
CONK da ball!!!

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 06:28:21 AM »
Be careful in the bathroom.  ;-()

Too late. Both sides. :mad1:
CONK da ball!!!

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 07:58:28 AM »

Hot shower??? :yikes:

Usually a cold bath (or pool) in bleach water is the norm.
I've also started using a soap called Tecnu each time I go out.  This has helped to limit the severity.
I usually end up on steroids when it goes systemic.

I'm really susceptible to the stuff, my brother never caught it. I had a job in the hills one day--short notice--so I took Immune Oak the day before going up. The instructions said give it 3 days, but I didn't have 3 days. Man, the poison oak followed every vein in my body. Head-to-toe, eye lids, mouth, and nose. I got it again in college and missed a week of classes.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 04:47:42 PM »
I hate poison ivy but it loves me fo sho!  I always need to pay one visit to the doctor's per year to get some meds to shake it.  I can not get rid of it on my own.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 09:48:15 AM »
I've never heard of an preventative med such as Immune Oak, I'll have to check on an equivalent for poison ivy.  In most cases I can identify and avoid the plant altogether and do a thorough clean up if I think I've been exposed to it.  In the case of picking fiddleheads the leaves aren't on the ivy yet and I know it's as thick as the ferns in the area we pick.

At the moment no other large patches have appeared other than the strip about the size of a dollar bill on my right arm.  Smaller flair ups have occured everywhere else but on my torso.  Weird.
Looks like I've managed to avoid a trip to the doc for the Prednisone scrip this time around.  Full credit to the soap Tecnu.
CONK da ball!!!

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 10:01:07 AM »
I found this. Don't know if they still make it or sell it.

E. E. Bullard Company, Sausalito, CA, sold an extract of poison oak in the 1970s. Glass vials, about one cc each, five in a box, included in first aid kits for the Bell System. Climbing telephone poles exposed people to it. The instructions with the extract directed one to drink a vial, wait a day, drink another,then drink them monthly. Also, they stressed the point that you must avoid exposure to poison oak for the first month. You only waited two weeks, and of course there are other variables.

The product worked well for me (five vials in four months and I was immune for a few years), but was taken off the market due to some people having a reaction to it.

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 10:12:12 AM »
I've never had poison ivy/oak/sumac. Thank goodness I'm not an outdoor-sy person

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 10:16:58 AM »
Thanks Babs.
I couldn't find an equivalent during a quick search, but did find a topical similar to sunscreen.
That just may do the trick for me next time I'm picking.
CONK da ball!!!

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 10:33:25 AM »

E. E. Bullard Company, Sausalito, CA, sold an extract of poison oak in the 1970s. Glass vials, about one cc each, five in a box, included in first aid kits for the Bell System. Climbing telephone poles exposed people to it. The instructions with the extract directed one to drink a vial, wait a day, drink another,then drink them monthly. Also, they stressed the point that you must avoid exposure to poison oak for the first month. You only waited two weeks, and of course there are other variables.

The product worked well for me (five vials in four months and I was immune for a few years), but was taken off the market due to some people having a reaction to it.

That was deceiving, because that was a quote. It only made matters worse for me because I didn't have time to take is as directed.

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 10:41:46 AM »

That was deceiving, because that was a quote. It only made matters worse for me because I didn't have time to take is as directed.
I've heard the rumors about oral preventatives taken by linemen but have been unable to pin down the exact product.  Will give it another look when I've got more time.  I'm busy working right now! :rofl_2:   (and watching the 2nd semi in Rome) :))
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 07:12:41 AM »
I use to take small little pills every day as a kid that mom bought over the counter for poison ivy prevention.  I think they worked pretty well back when...
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline kingskid

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 02:07:13 PM »
Okay, anyone else think this was gonna be a BAD post based on the name of it??  :whistle:  :rofl_2:

I have NEVER, EVER heard of a fiddlehead, let alone ever eaten one.  What do they taste like?  How do YOU cook them?

I'm sorry to hear about the itchiness and pussiness...ugh, it makes me itch just thinking about it. Hope it's short lived and not as bad as it could be!

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 02:39:49 PM »
Okay, anyone else think this was gonna be a BAD post based on the name of it??  :whistle:  :rofl_2:

I have NEVER, EVER heard of a fiddlehead, let alone ever eaten one.  What do they taste like?  How do YOU cook them?

I'm sorry to hear about the itchiness and pussiness...ugh, it makes me itch just thinking about it. Hope it's short lived and not as bad as it could be!
I added the extra ssss's in the title to minimize (but not eliminate) any confusion. :innocent:

Fiddleheads are a little known delicacy here in New England.
http://makingloveinthekitchen.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/513981072_a38749e410.jpg?
They are unfurled ostrich ferns.  They're like a cross between asparagus, spinach, and ????.  I like them steamed with a bit of butter and salt & pepper.  Yummy!

http://extension.umaine.edu/publications/4198e/

The problem for me is that they grow in swampy areas that are thick with poison ivy.
The Chief actually banned me from picking for a couple of years because I got the creeping crud so bad I missed work (and play) for several days.  Not to mention the visits to the emergency room. :whistle:

Anywhooo, the rash is quite manageable this time 'round, full credit to washing up with Tecnu soap after my picking adventures. :))
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 11:17:43 PM »
Hows come you don't just go to the store and buy some m8?

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2010, 06:04:52 AM »
Hows come you don't just go to the store and buy some m8?

Because I've never heard of it.
Illuminate me please! :))
CONK da ball!!!

Offline kingskid

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2010, 01:44:04 PM »
I think he means why don' you just buy the fiddleheads instead of picking them yourself.  Srsly...I'd pay someone to pick them for me before I'd go through poison ivy over and over again.  Makes me itchy just thinking about it.

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010, 07:16:24 PM »
I think he means why don' you just buy the fiddleheads instead of picking them yourself.  Srsly...I'd pay someone to pick them for me before I'd go through poison ivy over and over again.  Makes me itchy just thinking about it.
:rofl_2:  I just caught on to Swish's post this time around! :rofl_2:
I'm so intent on finding a preventative measure for the ivy that I misinterpreted his post.

I'll answer your question 'Why not just buy the fiddleheads' so you'll know me a wee bit better.  I prefer to pick my own because I do my best to be self-reliant.  The bulk price for a minimum 10lb. order 2 years ago was nearly $6.00( edit- todays retail price is over $8.00lb).  If I were to try and buy the amount of these delicious veggies that I pick each year it would cost me over $300.00 (edit-  $400.00).
Now that I've been able to minimize the effects of the ivy over the past 2 years it's well worth a little itching and scratching to be able to enjoy one of nature's special treats!!!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 08:01:08 PM by monstertruck »
CONK da ball!!!