Author Topic: The madness continues....  (Read 3988 times)

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
The madness continues....
« on: May 06, 2010, 10:25:44 AM »
http://cbs13.com/video/?id=72049@kovr.dayport.com

I wonder what would happen if a white male VP sent home students for wearing Sinko De Mayo shirts?
CONK da ball!!!

Offline kingskid

• Tennis Enthusiast
Re: The madness continues....
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 04:46:37 PM »
While I'm sure these good ol' boys were wearing the American gear on Cinco De Mayo to show pride AND to stir up some trouble...sending them home was WAAAAY out of line.  Like so far out of line the vice principal or whomever made the decision should be "sent home" for a few days.   :)>>>>

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 05:14:17 PM »
Live Oak is deep in the heart of agricultural country. Played a football game there.

Stoopid, I'm with yous two.  ;-()  Would like to know what the fallout is.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 07:21:13 PM »
No fallout for the Latina VP.
More madness.
http://www.kcbs.com/bayareanews/Students-Walkout-at-Morgan-Hill-High-School/6987752

I'm sure we don't have the whole story on this.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline kingskid

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 08:20:16 PM »
“They have to respect everybody’s rights and they didn’t,” said one Morgan Hill resident.

Alrighty then.  I hope this was a quote from a fanciful, utopia-wishing seventeen year old resident and not an actual voter.  Gosh - seriously?  Since when does respecting the minority's rights mean disrespecting the whole's?  AND celebrating their heritage doesn't mean forgetting they ARE Americans, right?  Just because I am celebrating Oktoberfest doesn't mean people in the crowd shouldn't wear red, white and blue. 

Now pass me a beer...shouldn't have mentioned Oktoberfest.  :)~

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 05:37:17 AM »
“They have to respect everybody’s rights and they didn’t,” said one Morgan Hill resident.

Alrighty then.  I hope this was a quote from a fanciful, utopia-wishing seventeen year old resident and not an actual voter.  Gosh - seriously?  Since when does respecting the minority's rights mean disrespecting the whole's?  AND celebrating their heritage doesn't mean forgetting they ARE Americans, right?  Just because I am celebrating Oktoberfest doesn't mean people in the crowd shouldn't wear red, white and blue. 

Now pass me a beer...shouldn't have mentioned Oktoberfest.  :)~
The article is vague about who made that comment.  As a stand-alone statement I happen to agree with it.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 05:46:56 AM »
It's one thing to wear the American flag on any other day. But to specifically wear it on Cinco de Mayo, a Mexican holiday, at a school where there is a large number of Hispanic students is incendiary and was, without a doubt, done on purpose to start "something" and to make a statement. I highly doubt if there were the same number of Irish students at the school would those children be as "patriotic" on St. Patrick's Day. They'd be wearing green, pinching people and getting just as intoxicated with the rest of them.

They have the right to wear the American flag on that day, just like I have the right to question their motives.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 05:47:33 AM by BGT »

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 06:02:10 AM »
The tail wags the dog.

http://cbs5.com/education/rally.american.flag.2.1680060.html

There are 3 parts of this report that I think are quite disturbing.
1.  Kathleen Sullivan the school board trustee who thinks it's ok to oppress one group in the name of safety for the collective.  Just imagine if those 5 students who were sent home happened to be of any other ethnic background!

2.  The student Annicia Nunez who is apparently Mexican not American.  Read her statement slowly and tell me how it could be interpreted any other way.

3.  Kirk Hanson executive director for Applied Ethics :rofl_2: who agrees with the decision to discriminate against one group in the name of safety for the collective.

Benjamin Franklin:
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security.

This is the madness of which I speak.

CONK da ball!!!

Offline Belgian Miss

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 04:22:31 AM »
So much coverage for a silly stunt by some kids.

1.  Kathleen Sullivan the school board trustee who thinks it's ok to oppress one group in the name of safety for the collective.  Just imagine if those 5 students who were sent home happened to be of any other ethnic background!

Your comparison is moot, Monster. This particular case seems to me less an occasion of targeted oppression of ethnic groups than a mere prank by some teenagers that the school had to deal with. From what I gather from the report, these boys were simply acting their age, having no other motive than stir up some trouble.

Benjamin Franklin:
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security.

You're blowing this out of proportion. This isn't about discrimination or liberty, it's about teaching kids some respect and common sense. These boys knew what they were doing, and especially after the drama last year I understand the decision of the school to let them choose to either change their clothes or leave.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 04:25:00 AM by Belgian Miss »

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 06:10:49 AM »
When wearing a shirt becomes a crime, we've got a serious problem.
I wouldn't call wearing your national colors a prank.
What their intent was is certainly debatable.

I say punish the actual trouble makers.

Did you notice the VP's last name and ethnicity? ;-()
And the fact that at the elected level, most of the school board is backing away from this a t full speed?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 06:24:57 AM by monstertruck »
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 07:13:55 AM »
http://www.gilroydispatch.com/news/265404-five-morgan-hill-students-sent-home-for-wearing-american-flag-t-shirts

So let me get this straight, is Miss Jessica Cortez (and Annicia Nunez) a Mexican or an American? :rofl_2:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 07:53:31 AM »

Now pass me a beer...shouldn't have mentioned Oktoberfest:)~
I am very confused. :confused1:
Is that you Scooter? ;-()
Oktoberfest in May?  Me likey! :))

Here's a beer for later! :beer:

CONK da ball!!!

Offline Belgian Miss

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 07:58:31 AM »

Obviously, wearing a shirt isn't a crime, and neither is dressing in the colors of the flag of your country. It is the context in which they were featured, and the meaning that was subsequently attached to them, which made them inappropriate in this particular case. These children either knew what they were doing and were out to cause some controversy, or they acted inadvertently, in which case some kind soul (their parents perhaps?) should have informed them of the somewhat difficult cultural relations between these ethnic groups and the consequences that wearing such an attire might entail.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 08:00:53 AM »
The kids were probably trying to make a statement.
Nothing wrong with that, the mexican group had a chance to practice being tolerant but got the wrong message from the higher ups.

Offline Belgian Miss

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 08:02:14 AM »

Do they celebrate Oktoberfest in America? :))

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 08:10:43 AM »

Obviously, wearing a shirt isn't a crime, and neither is dressing in the colors of the flag of your country. It is the context in which they were featured, and the meaning that was subsequently attached to them, which made them inappropriate in this particular case. These children either knew what they were doing and were out to cause some controversy, or they acted inadvertently, in which case some kind soul (their parents perhaps?) should have informed them of the somewhat difficult cultural relations between these ethnic groups and the consequences that wearing such an attire might entail.

I concur. The kids were being little d!cks.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2010, 08:11:14 PM »

So within a certain context, wearing a shirt of your choice (colors symbolic of your country), in a public school, in the U.S.A. is inappropriate?

That 'context' is called Political Correctness.
When the rights of self-proclaimed Mexicans suprcede those of Americans there is a serious problem.

As I said, the madness continues.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2010, 08:13:16 PM »

I concur. The kids were being little d!cks.
Thank God they weren't Black!
Imagine that.  Jackson, Sharpton, and the ACLU crew would have been on it in a minute.

The double standard continues.....
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2010, 08:16:54 PM »

Do they celebrate Oktoberfest in America? :))
Usually in Oktober you silly goose! :))
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Belgian Miss

• Tennis God
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010, 06:28:03 AM »
So within a certain context, wearing a shirt of your choice (colors symbolic of your country), in a public school, in the U.S.A. is inappropriate?

Yes...  :bored:

As I said before, the fault of these boys wasn't in wearing a shirt, but what they wanted to cause by wearing that shirt: trouble and controversy. They merely wanted to start a fight, and I think you and I can both agree that a school needs to deal with students that are out to cause trouble. Their intentions should be questioned, not their means.