Author Topic: The madness continues....  (Read 3953 times)

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
Re: The madness continues....
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2010, 04:54:42 PM »
I don't need to see the video. There's nothing wrong with being more proud of your heritage and culture than your nationality. I call myself Creole/Cajun before I call myself American. Doesn't make me less American. I don't blame them though. Minorities haven't really had the best experiences in this country.
Ahhhh, similar to AG Eric Holder's approach to the law recently passed in Arizona. :rofl_2:
He too, couldn't be bothered to actually read the 10 WHOLE PAGES of the law OR be briefed on it before spewing forth his ill-informed opinion.

The crux of the discussion here is more about the 5 students who were sent home.
I fully support the right of any individual to celebrate their heritage.  I think that's pretty cool stuff.  Of course that would include anyone who chooses to celebrate being an American as well! :)) ;-()

Your last comment about minorities is off base also.

If I remember correctly the #'s for the district almost even with both whites and latinos numbering the the 43% range.  An interesting side note is that over 80% of the students use english as a second language.  Perhaps the evil redneck honkys are in the minority this time! :rofl_2:

Huh? So the minorities in this country weren't overtaken in their own land, killed off by diseases they had no immunity to, and shipped off to Oklahoma? They weren't trapped like animals in their own continent, shipped over to the Americas and beaten until they submitted to slavery? I'm talking about the entire of history of minorities in this country, not just present-day. Even I, as a young, articulate, well-dressed and educated black female still get followed around stores as if I'm going to steal something. So please don't tell me that I don't understand the experiences of minorities in this country. My parents grew up in the Deep South in the 50's and 60's. I knew their stories.

And FFF, if minorities have had it "easy" since the 60's, why are there still discrepancies and even huge gaps between the minorities and the majority in health care, education and wealth among a host of other things?

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2010, 05:20:59 PM »
I don't need to see the video. There's nothing wrong with being more proud of your heritage and culture than your nationality. I call myself Creole/Cajun before I call myself American. Doesn't make me less American. I don't blame them though. Minorities haven't really had the best experiences in this country.
Ahhhh, similar to AG Eric Holder's approach to the law recently passed in Arizona. :rofl_2:
He too, couldn't be bothered to actually read the 10 WHOLE PAGES of the law OR be briefed on it before spewing forth his ill-informed opinion.

The crux of the discussion here is more about the 5 students who were sent home.
I fully support the right of any individual to celebrate their heritage.  I think that's pretty cool stuff.  Of course that would include anyone who chooses to celebrate being an American as well! :)) ;-()

If I remember correctly the #'s for the district almost even with both whites and latinos numbering the the 43% range.  An interesting side note is that over 80% of the students use english as a second language.  Perhaps the evil redneck honkys are in the minority this time! :rofl_2:

You know Mexicans in the US are free to celebrate being Mexican and shun America. That's freedom of speech. But the rest of us are also free to shun them as well. To deny them employment and association. At least that's the way it should be.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2010, 05:34:20 AM »

Huh? So the minorities in this country weren't overtaken in their own land, killed off by diseases they had no immunity to, and shipped off to Oklahoma? They weren't trapped like animals in their own continent, shipped over to the Americas and beaten until they submitted to slavery? I'm talking about the entire of history of minorities in this country, not just present-day. Even I, as a young, articulate, well-dressed and educated black female still get followed around stores as if I'm going to steal something. So please don't tell me that I don't understand the experiences of minorities in this country. My parents grew up in the Deep South in the 50's and 60's. I knew their stories.

And FFF, if minorities have had it "easy" since the 60's, why are there still discrepancies and even huge gaps between the minorities and the majority in health care, education and wealth among a host of other things?
I didn't 'tell' you anything.  Merely pointed out the flaw in your logic. I meant off-base in terms of using the minority card in this particular situation.  To call the Mexicans the minority in this case is not really accurate.  The numbers show whites and non-whites to be about equal in population there.  (not counting the illegals of course ;-())  Therefore the Mexicans are by no means the minority.

The assumption that you're a shoplifter and get followed in stores is nearly as tragic as your assumption that I don't know or care about the history of minorities.  It feels pretty shtty, doesn't it?

CONK da ball!!!

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2010, 06:26:02 AM »
correct me if I am wrong but in 2050 100 milion people will speak Spanish in the states.
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2010, 06:38:49 AM »
correct me if I am wrong but in 2050 100 milion people will speak Spanish in the states.

Funny you should mention that!
I just did some translations on the songs I posted in the other thread and it reminded me I started a course on speaking Spanish twice and failed to complete it.  So I dug out my demo version of Rosetta Stone (language learning) and popped it in the CD player.  Looks like it's time to learn! :))
CONK da ball!!!

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2010, 06:44:01 AM »
Spanish is easy, 2 years and you are speaking it, it's like french, portuguese or italian.
I failed with german, even tried to live in germany and the conversation was:
me - do you speak english (to help me in something) ?
german - and you, do you speak german?
me- no, I speak austrian. 
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2010, 08:02:52 AM »
Spanish is easy, 2 years and you are speaking it, it's like french, portuguese or italian.

Nothing is easy to Americans ;)
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2010, 08:26:05 AM »

heheheee, right you are! :rofl_2:
CONK da ball!!!

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2010, 08:35:02 AM »

heheheee, right you are! :rofl_2:

I've been trying but nothing sticks!
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2010, 10:34:46 AM »
If America becomes majority Spanish by 2050, I'm gonna grumble about it.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2010, 12:27:44 PM »
I'm sorry MT, but you completely missed my point and this conversation has drained me.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2010, 01:29:03 PM »
I'm sorry MT, but you completely missed my point and this conversation has drained me.
No need to apologize.  No hard feelings here.
It certainly is an intense topic and any miscommunications make it that much more difficult.  Now, back to the tennis!!!
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2010, 02:32:08 PM »

eh. you will be spotted as a racist and killed much before then.  :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

:)~
You are everything I am not.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2010, 09:03:33 PM »
At the rate things are going, there won't be an 'America' as we know it in 2050. ;-()
CONK da ball!!!