Poll

Seriously, do you really not like Federer's tennis?

really don't like the way Federer plays the game
4 (21.1%)
I don't like Federer for other reasons
15 (78.9%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Do you not like Federer's tennis? (Dallas inspired poll)  (Read 8446 times)

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
Re: Do you not like Federer's tennis? (Dallas inspired poll)
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2010, 08:06:10 AM »
You can't take anything away from his game. He moves extremely well and his shots are (were?) amazing. His forehand is like the 2nd best in the history of tennis.  :wink 2:

I don't like him for other reasons. Nevertheless, he's good for the sport. Good for tennis.

And what are those other reasons?
You are everything I am not.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2010, 11:45:26 AM »
Of course brutal Spartan tennis is more beautiful to watch then Apollonian tennis.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Simkim

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2010, 06:20:01 PM »

PS: It's a shame to see people limiting their own appreciation for the game for some childish reasons.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 06:21:21 PM by Simkim »

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2010, 06:55:12 PM »
Sorry if I can't get excited about Nadal & Murray's brand of physical, pushing tennis. Tennis purists like me loathe it.

Offline Simkim

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2010, 07:26:46 PM »
It's quite presumptuous to call oneself a purist. I would add that purists supposedly analyze the game with no prejudices.

And of course, no one is compelled to like every player on tour. But there's a difference between personally dislike a player and hate him to the point of diminishing his achievements.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2010, 03:16:10 AM »
But there's a difference between personally dislike a player and hate him to the point of diminishing his achievements.

I have only hated one player during all those years following the players, I was a teen back then. I hated Graf too much since her rout to Zvereva in the 1988 FO to her last major, with all the drama involving Hingis and the French crowd and especially after what happened to Seles in Hamburg. I had to see a wonderful special eurosport documentary day when she called it a career to realise finally how great she was and how stupid I was all those years hating her. Graf was the player who teached me the lesson to never hate a great champion because then you lose objectivity in your opinion about him/her. Then to finish, she married my favorite foreign player of all time, Agassi.
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2010, 07:33:15 AM »
It's quite presumptuous to call oneself a purist. I would add that purists supposedly analyze the game with no prejudices.

And of course, no one is compelled to like every player on tour. But there's a difference between personally dislike a player and hate him to the point of diminishing his achievements.

Oh come now, Simkim. All's fair in love, war and sports. Besides, it's a two way street - meaning, no party is innocent.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2010, 12:41:32 PM »
I canít speak for FFF but almost never in my posts I am nasty. I leave that to certain Nadal fans and a couple Federer fans. Lol. Sid was a Murray fan and still is, I am sure but when you put BGT and Sid together they get nasty. She has the tendency to provoke Sid and thatís because she hates Murray with all her heart. And I think Sid always had a problem with that. A couple of Nadal fans got banned and one of them got banned repeatedly for being too rude and aggressive. lol. That isnít saying much but I am sure all players have fans like those. You see, we donít live in a perfect world. And when someone loses it like that, you know that the last thing they are in control of is their anger. It makes you sometimes wonder, if thatís all thereís to it.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2010, 06:09:52 PM »
I don't hate Murray, I just dislike his pushing-style. Now in the Shanghai final he was actually going for more forehands, so that's at least encouraging.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2010, 06:40:03 PM »
I don't hate Murray, I just dislike his pushing-style. Now in the Shanghai final he was actually going for more forehands, so that's at least encouraging.

Murray goes back to passive when he doesn't feel like being very aggressive against players he doesn't care for as much. I think the top players bring out the best in him because he finds it more challenging, but not in a slam final though. There he gets all cold turkey on Fed. lol. I do think had he met Federer in a Slam semi, thing would have been far more competitive.

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2010, 07:12:42 PM »
I canít speak for FFF but almost never in my posts I am nasty. I leave that to certain Nadal fans and a couple Federer fans. Lol. Sid was a Murray fan and still is, I am sure but when you put BGT and Sid together they get nasty. She has the tendency to provoke Sid and thatís because she hates Murray with all her heart. And I think Sid always had a problem with that. A couple of Nadal fans got banned and one of them got banned repeatedly for being too rude and aggressive. lol. That isnít saying much but I am sure all players have fans like those. You see, we donít live in a perfect world. And when someone loses it like that, you know that the last thing they are in control of is their anger. It makes you sometimes wonder, if thatís all thereís to it.

Please don't pretend to know what I "hate with all my heart." A tennis player who I have never met in person is not anyone I'd ever hate with all my heart. I save that for my abuser, someone who ruined my life and completely changed my outlook on humanity.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 07:16:01 PM by BGT »

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2010, 09:06:46 PM »
Let's not turn everything into a personal thing. This is still tennis we are talking about and frankly, no bed is made of roses. Just because some of us don't talk about it, doesn't mean we didn't go through anything. You'd be dead wrong. It's the survival of the fittest after all. The great thing about life is, you can choose to stay bitter or start living better.

Anyway, my take is very simple: you are bitter about Federer's loss to Murray especially the way he massacred Federer and you are taking it out on me (and probably some others - too bad Sid isn't around anymore but I know he left partly because of you). Like for example, on the Shanghai thread, instead of making a careful observation about the match or adding something new, or even discussing the match which I don't feel you saw it at all, you took a pot shot at me, Murray and my posts first, rest followed. You see, instead of being decent, you took the road to insult me. If you now act all innocent, then that won't be fair.

Alrighty then.

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2010, 10:08:33 PM »
OK, conchita, I'm with you now. :)

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2010, 05:30:50 AM »
I dislike Federer for the following reasons:

Wimbledon 2003 SF
Wimbledon 2004 final
Wimbledon 2005 final
USO 2006 final
AO 2007 SF
Wimbledon 2007, SF and final
USO 2007 QF
AO 2009 SF
Miami 2009 QF
Madrid 2009 QF
Wimbledon 2009 final

Someone tell me what these tournaments have in common. I'll give you a clue: look below my avatar.
There were 2 opponents, tennis racquets, a net and ball involved? :confused1:

:)) ;-()
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2010, 06:38:22 AM »
But there's a difference between personally dislike a player and hate him to the point of diminishing his achievements.

I have only hated one player during all those years following the players, I was a teen back then. I hated Graf too much since her rout to Zvereva in the 1988 FO to her last major, with all the drama involving Hingis and the French crowd and especially after what happened to Seles in Hamburg. I had to see a wonderful special eurosport documentary day when she called it a career to realise finally how great she was and how stupid I was all those years hating her. Graf was the player who teached me the lesson to never hate a great champion because then you lose objectivity in your opinion about him/her. Then to finish, she married my favorite foreign player of all time, Agassi.
Oddly enough, I couldn't stand Agassi in his early years as he seemed to represent form over substance.
Nice to see that he's changed and my opinion of him has changed also.

Perhaps as the years pass, other fans may also come to appreciate players whom they detest at present.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2010, 06:38:44 AM »

Oddly enough, I couldn't stand Agassi in his early years as he seemed to represent form over substance.

Perhaps as the years pass, other fans may also come to appreciate players whom they detest at present.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2010, 06:41:20 AM »

Please don't pretend to know what I "hate with all my heart." A tennis player who I have never met in person is not anyone I'd ever hate with all my heart. I save that for my abuser, someone who ruined my life and completely changed my outlook on humanity.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2010, 07:27:14 AM »

I remember like if it was today when Andre was coming to play in the Barcelona event on clay at the RCTB in front of my school. All the students were big fans of Andre and it seemed as if he was the only one taking part in the event. Great memories since day one, but I completely agree his early years could be difficult to watch for some fans, but as great champions do, he turned better and better in his career.

This has been a difficult year for me and my 2 favorites foreign players. :( :( :(

First, a thread about Agassi admitting the use of drugs, I was so sad that I even did not want to know more specific info. :( :( :(
Second, Capriati hospitalised, again did not want to read the topic and listen about suicidal thoughts. :( :( :( I am very scared about the life and thoughts of her after ending her pro career, she was not able to play a farewell match and she has not even called it career, hope one day, she will retire officially and be inducted into the Hall of Fame as soon as possible. She will always be that young American girl, age 16, that became the queen of the Olympics and the city in 1992 defeating 2nd seed Arantxa in the semis and Graf in the final, and some years later made of the best come back in tennis history!

I am so sorry (especially NadalGrafboy), I need to post this video! the intro, 12 seconds is so wonderful :(

With Andre and Jennifer it really feels like today!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgHFryLzU1E[/youtube]

« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 07:45:04 AM by conchita »
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2010, 07:28:44 PM »
I like Fed and his tennis.  If I was to ever tell anyone to mimic someone's strokes (shoot, I have done it on the site), I would say to mimic Federer's strokes.  Picture perfect and easier on the body which will help people play for years to come, etc. 
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Nole nļ1

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2012, 08:30:39 AM »
Federer i a fantastic player.