Author Topic: My New Computer Build  (Read 1866 times)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
My New Computer Build
« on: July 08, 2010, 09:56:19 PM »
My old computer was on it's last legs, nine years old this year.
It ran well but couldn't handle even youtube anymore, sometimes it takes 30 seconds for a web page to load.
I just couldn't take it anymore.

So I decided to build my own.  :)

It took about 2 months to decide what I wanted and how much to spend and then making sure all the parts would be compatible with each other. This involved reading reviews, going to forums and seeing what other builders were doing and why. Then looking for the best deals, sales etc.

So I finally ordered the parts.

After coming home for a few days and looking at all the parts everywhere I wondered "what have I done?".  :rofl_2:

Here's the part list:

cpu: I7-875K and
cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 $248

motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 and

HD: Samsung f3 spinpoint $70
optical: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS $25
case: COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2 CM690 II Advanced $90
ram: 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 1600 $110

mouse: Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical 1.1A and
keyboard: Microsoft Comfort Curve Keyboard 2000 $35

psu: CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W $86
gpu: XFX HD-577X-ZNFC 5770 1GB $160
monitor: ASUS VH222H Black 21.5 $180

Total: $1199

I'm happy as a pig in mud.  :))

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
Re: My New Computer Build
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 12:37:33 AM »
Wow Swish building your own computer and getting all those different parts is 1 damn hard task to pull off. So if you've got the patience and the know how to be able to do that then good on you mate, that's pretty awesome  :)

I'd just go out and buy 1 and save the time  :rofl_2:
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 01:21:39 AM »
Wow Swish building your own computer and getting all those different parts is 1 damn hard task to pull off. So if you've got the patience and the know how to be able to do that then good on you mate, that's pretty awesome  :)

I'd just go out and buy 1 and save the time  :rofl_2:

I'm lucky it worked, I don't know what I'd do if it didn't.  :)

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 04:13:28 PM »
Building your own is definitely a risk. Better off buying an iMac.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 10:31:55 AM »
I would like to build my next pc, it sounds like fun.

In the past I have always ordered Dell pcs.  I have been very happy with them thus far.  The home pc is 6 years old but I no longer work from home so I do not care if it is slower.  I mostly use wifey's laptop that sits in the kitchen these days. 
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 02:31:00 PM »
I would like to build my next pc, it sounds like fun.

In the past I have always ordered Dell pcs.  I have been very happy with them thus far.  The home pc is 6 years old but I no longer work from home so I do not care if it is slower.  I mostly use wifey's laptop that sits in the kitchen these days. 

You won't be sorry, they have guides that can help you get started, I looked at some of those.
Here's one to get your feet wet.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/buyers-guide/2010/05/07/pc-hardware-buyers-guide-may-2010/1

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 02:01:16 AM »

I just wanted to do it, and I learned so much also.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 02:05:35 AM »

I just wanted to do it, and I learned so much also.

It's just that I've been there - done that. I don't have any patience for trying it all over again. Applying thermal paste to the CPU... no way.

Offline Belgian Miss

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 02:18:52 AM »
Applying thermal paste to the CPU... no way.

What :confused1:?

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 02:28:46 AM »

If you're gonna overclock a CPU you need to provided extra cooling measures and thermal paste is the best way.

Offline Belgian Miss

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 02:35:46 AM »

If you're gonna overclock a CPU you need to provided extra cooling measures and thermal paste is the best way.

Not to come off as dumb, but why would you want to overclock your CPU? Are you a graphical designer?

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 08:49:16 AM »

Not to come off as dumb, but why would you want to overclock your CPU? Are you a graphical designer?
The computer runs faster.

Offline Belgian Miss

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 10:17:24 AM »

I know, but unless you're using heavy software (or old, slow hardware) that shouldn't be necessary, or not?

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 10:44:31 AM »
Swish... I am disappointed you spent $199 on Windows. There's plenty of free linux distros and Ubuntu is pretty damn good.  :)~

Good job though! I built a laptop a few years ago the same way you built your pc and it was so much fun and honestly you get to learn so much. I hope it keeps working for you and good luck with it :)

Again, partition it and put linux on it. a few of my friends have taken this up and they have vmware running windows on their linux machines - so windows is just like any other application you can run and that takes care of any compatibility issues for games or microsoft office.

Offline Belgian Miss

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 10:48:46 AM »
Swish... I am disappointed you spent $199 on Windows. There's plenty of free linux distros and Ubuntu is pretty damn good.  :)~

Good job though! I built a laptop a few years ago the same way you built your pc and it was so much fun and honestly you get to learn so much. I hope it keeps working for you and good luck with it :)

Again, partition it and put linux on it. a few of my friends have taken this up and they have vmware running windows on their linux machines - so windows is just like any other application you can run and that takes care of any compatibility issues for games or microsoft office.

Yes I saw that too :).

But maybe he's a gamer? VMware isn't an ideal solution, performance-wise. Or maybe he needs MS Exchange?

(god I sound like a real geek now!)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 12:10:13 PM »

Actually I got the motherboard AND windows for $194, The motherboard was $119 and windows $99 separately, but newegg had what they call a bundle deal where you can get both for a lesser price.

I used to have linux quite awhile ago but I like all the gadgets that can run with windows with new applications coming out all the time.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 12:11:59 PM »
swish - you'll never hear the end of it from the Linux fanatics.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 12:15:20 PM »

I know, but unless you're using heavy software (or old, slow hardware) that shouldn't be necessary, or not?

With the processor I have it isn't necessary.
I already overclocked it and didn't notice any difference, so I'm just going to leave it as it is.
The processor has 4 cores and 4 virtual cores, it also has turbo boost which it overclocks itself, good enough for me and it's really fast.  :king:

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2010, 12:23:03 PM »

And the Mac tards. I've already been there with UNIX derivatives but am behind on the latest windows.
The last version of windows I had was ME, about 10 years old so I've been busy seeing what's going on with windows 7 and I must say I like it.

Offline Belgian Miss

• Tennis God
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2010, 12:25:16 PM »

So suddenly me and Pawan are fanatics? ..-)

It must be so easy living in your sad little black & white world (though predominantly white I presume)...

With the processor I have it isn't necessary.
I already overclocked it and didn't notice any difference, so I'm just going to leave it as it is.
The processor has 4 cores and 4 virtual cores, it also has turbo boost which it overclocks itself, good enough for me and it's really fast.  :king:

That's the advantage of building your own PC I guess :). I'm happy with my laptop though!