Author Topic: Serve help  (Read 2427 times)

Offline rohit1994

• Tennis Player
Serve help
« on: July 15, 2010, 08:02:20 PM »
When I serve I jump up as I toss the ball and hit downward, and sometimes they go in sometimes out, can you guys tell me a better serve?
Thanks a lot

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Re: Serve help
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 07:55:40 AM »
Can we ask for some more information to see if we can better analyze the problem?

1.  How long have you been playing?
2.  What grip are you using?
3.  What type of serve are you hitting?
4.  How tall are you?
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline gcooi90

• Tennis Player
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 10:32:26 AM »
I'd like to have some advice here too.  :))

Now I'm around 2 years into tennis.
I'm about 1.65m.

I hit slice and topspin serve only.
I can't control the depth nor height of my serve, but my depth is usually near the service line, it's like a gamble everytime i serve,
either a good and deep one, or a fault. I double fault a lot too.

Need some help on consistency.
 ://
2x DUNLOP AG 4D300 TOUR - explosive 17g @ 55lbs
1X TFIGHT 295 VO2 MAX - enduro pro 17g @ 55lbs

Offline rohit1994

• Tennis Player
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 10:07:28 PM »
Can we ask for some more information to see if we can better analyze the problem?

1.  How long have you been playing?
2.  What grip are you using?
3.  What type of serve are you hitting?
4.  How tall are you?
I have been playing serious tennis for two years I have been playing casual for 7 years I use the continental grip the standard grip I hit a forehand with. And my type of serve I really don't know I just hit the ball down no slice or anything. And I'm 6 ft (I'm taller than pawan hehe).
Thanks in advance for your help

Offline kait35

• New Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 01:46:17 PM »
rohit1994, there are several things I would recommend to help improve your serve.  One is make sure you are as proactive as possible in your learning.  Find great references such as good websites with video analysis, Tennis magazine etc.  Learn!  Figure out what you are doing wrong so you know what you need to do to fix it. 
    You are saying you jump as you toss the ball.  That right there should not be done.  As you toss the ball and your toss arm goes straight, your racquet should be behind you, facing down before it comes up into the loaded trophy pose before you swing and your weight should be transferring from back foot to front foot.  You only leave the ground during the swing and it's not really a hard jump.  You should only be about 6 inches off the ground during the swing.  Now if you have an abbreviated serve (Roddick) the racquet never comes down, it just goes from address to loaded trophy pose and you swing.  Same timing though.  You need to incorporate some spin.  Even the pros have some spin on their first serves.  They just hit it so hard it looks completely flat.  Understand your grips.  Continental for your first serve and even slice serve, a more eastern backhand for kick serve.  Know your tosses too.  Looking at the net pretend there is a big clock in front of you.  Toss 11 o'clock (behind your head a bit) for a kick serve, straight up at 12 o'clock for a first serve and 1:00 down the baseline for a slice serve!  Give that a try!!!   Good luck!

Offline Rascalrat

• New Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 01:50:22 AM »
rohit1994, there are several things I would recommend to help improve your serve.  One is make sure you are as proactive as possible in your learning.  Find great references such as good websites with video analysis, Tennis magazine etc.  Learn!  Figure out what you are doing wrong so you know what you need to do to fix it. 
    You are saying you jump as you toss the ball.  That right there should not be done.  As you toss the ball and your toss arm goes straight, your racquet should be behind you, facing down before it comes up into the loaded trophy pose before you swing and your weight should be transferring from back foot to front foot.  You only leave the ground during the swing and it's not really a hard jump.  You should only be about 6 inches off the ground during the swing.  Now if you have an abbreviated serve (Roddick) the racquet never comes down, it just goes from address to loaded trophy pose and you swing.  Same timing though.  You need to incorporate some spin.  Even the pros have some spin on their first serves.  They just hit it so hard it looks completely flat.  Understand your grips.  Continental for your first serve and even slice serve, a more eastern backhand for kick serve.  Know your tosses too.  Looking at the net pretend there is a big clock in front of you.  Toss 11 o'clock (behind your head a bit) for a kick serve, straight up at 12 o'clock for a first serve and 1:00 down the baseline for a slice serve!  Give that a try!!!   Good luck!

That's a lot to take in but looks like good advice  ..-)
* An Old Timer *  :) tennis player that can't wait for Spring.

Offline pschlacter01

• New Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 05:46:37 AM »
Thanks to technical

Offline warren99

• New Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 06:41:04 AM »
This is a great site that has been very important, and also to educate others.
Those who want to know as well.

Offline tennisisland.us

• Tennis Player
  • Learn Improve Succeed
    • Tennis Island
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 11:16:05 AM »
It would be easier to address proper tips for you if you could post short video with your serve. It is pointless to give you 100 things to work on if we don't really see what is going on
Professional tennis drills and articles. Over 1300 materials from top coaches around the world.

http://tennisisland.us