Author Topic: Should i switch to midplus?  (Read 2017 times)

phenom34

Should i switch to midplus?
« on: June 04, 2005, 10:06:50 PM »
My current racket is a liquidmetal radical oversize.  Ive used a few rackets over the time, my favorite so far was the prince more control db 800 mid but i wont buy another since they broke so easy without throwing them.  

I got used to the os radical and can hit some awesome shots with it.  I have heard from 2 people that i should use midplus at my level.  I was wondering what their rationale for this was and should i really switch?  I hit with the mid radical and it felt very odd to me.  I didnt have clean hits on it.  I hit hard with a lot of spin and can generally keep all my shots in.   With the mid, it felt like i was hitting everything high and short and gettin the frame most of the time.   I only used it for one set so i was wondering should I switch to that size and get used to it?  

I have been looking for a new racket so same with the babolat pure drive.  I like the pure drive team long edition.  I was wondering if i should get the mid or oversize?  I hit with the mid and it did feel alright.  

Whats the difference in the sizes and would it be beneficial to switch to the smaller head size and get used to it?

Offline thejackal

• Tennis God
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2005, 10:12:12 PM »
Depends, if you have a one-handed backhand it would be good to stay below midplus for more control.  Also, do you need extra reach on your serve?
official blogger

tennisconnected.com

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2005, 10:19:30 PM »
I made the switch my senior year of high school from an OS to a midplus.  It looks a week or so to get use to, but for my game it was by far and away one of the better decisions I have made for my game.  I was already stringing the OS racquets higher than the recommended tension.  Thye just do not have enough control for me.

If the midplus doesn't give you enough power you can always loosen the tension.

I see very few players at the 4.0+ levels using Oversize racquets.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline ImaMadGoat

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2005, 10:49:12 PM »
I started out hitting with the Wilson Hyper Hammer 5.3. Once the H5 came out I thought I ought to give that one a try and I did. Then I got my mits on a Head i.Radical and really liked the headlight balance. Still I was having trouble keeping the ball in play.

So then one night at the racquet club I was playin with the i.rad and bam! strings broke. My other i.rad hadn't been strung yet and the only thing I had to hit with was this old Pro Kennex Composite Phrophecy. It was a heavier graphite stick. I hit with that for the rest of the night and really played some great tennis. That's when I made the decesion to go with a heavier yet head light balanced midplus racquet. I read up for a week or two on a decent midplus racquet and it seemed to me that everyone and their brother really loved the Wilson Pro Staff 6.1 Classic 95". I bought one and while it took a bit to adjust to it....once I did, there was no looking back. I hit heavier top spin with this racquet than I ever have before. I still don't quite understand how they call this thing control oriented until I hit with an oversize....holy crap! I get plenty of power on my midplus sticks and they're strung at 65/63lbs Mains/Crosses.

On a side note, I use babolat pro hurricane on the mains and superfineplay on the crosses. A lot cheaper than natural gut and I still get decent feel. I would never volley with any other racquet the way I do with this one. Everything just feels so crisp. Serving is amazing with this racquet, plenty of pop and spin potential when you need it. I hear the Ncode nSix One 95 is practically the same racquet and thats good to know...they don't make these classic 6.1's anymore...if they do its a very limited quanity. You can still find em online....round 100-130 bucks depending on where you order it.

I suppose I should answer your question....I got off on a rant there. A midplus racquet allows you to swing out on your shots and still keep the ball in. Those big ass racquets are meant for people that can't generate their own pace. If you go with a heavier stick (12 oz), it will add more weight to your shots, just a heavier ball comin at your opponent. The difference in sq inches really isn't all that much...if your hitting the sweetspot of your oversize racquet, you'll do the same with the midplus....but you won't be as lucky with off center shots. I think it forces you to focus more on what your doing and in the end it makes you a better player.

Good luck!
Constant Improvement, Relentless Effort.

http://www.3wisefools.com - The culmination of ridiculous banter and serious discussion.

Offline tennis_guy_andrew

• Tennis Addict
    • http://www.oktennis.net
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2005, 11:16:10 AM »
I just switched from Oversize 110 in2 to a midplus 105 in2 and I really enjoy it. It just depends on your own game I guess.
------------------------------------------
Please- Help me get a better college
education by making a donation:
http://andrewxps.hooveyy.com/pay.html
Thanks! :)

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2005, 04:21:29 PM »
Ok i think i will do the switch,  Like tennis4you, I am in going into my senior year at high school and I have my rackets strung at the highest recommended tension or a lb or two more looking for more control because i have no trouble whatsoever putting power on.

Offline hofertennis

• Tennis Player
    • http://www.hofertennis.com
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 12:14:33 AM »
Look at the Pro's. Almost all with a few exceptions use smaller head sizes. The better player you are the smaller head size is seems. Smaller heads give more control, if your hitting the frame then you need more PRACTICE hitting the center of the strings. I recommend a mid plus to mid size racquet for any aspiring high school player.
Doug Hofer, USPTA and USRSA Certified Professional
Visit my website for tennis tips and gear:
http://www.hofertennis.com