Author Topic: Sentenced  (Read 4998 times)

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
Re: Sentenced
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2010, 12:59:41 AM »
USA must do something in Latin America, help the countries like Colombia who don't have anti American feelings and in the other countries intervention "a la Kissinger" trying to bring down the leaders. the sooner, the better.

That's precisely what helped anti-americanism. Allende is a hero, a myth, for the way he died, regardless what policies he developed. The shortest way to guarantee national support is to find a common enemy. That's what the Argentinian military dictatorship did with the Falklands War.

And I'm personally close to many of the US policies, so close that I've often been called 'fascist' in my country. But you should know many here says that the political options in America oscillates between the right and the extreme right.

I was never thinking about bloody coup d'ètat as it happened in Chile in 1976. I do think in politics alliances between countries comes because of the mutual needings and interests. If the USA tries to help the people of latin america, just saying the wave of  new comunism is not going to work in their countries, that comunism was the worst invention of the XX Century people in those countries will start to listen. Also corruption there is one of the biggest problems.

I do thing the political system in America is much better than what we have but I also think in the 500 years of Spain we only have less than 10 great national leaders.

Going back to Latin America, the new wave of Castro to Chavez is trying to create also a very strong anti spanish feelings calling the discovery of America as a genocide while a great majority of people there loves to call Spain "the motherland".

This is a famous video, a Spanish judge trying to get Pinochet for the crimes he made during the coup d'etat, the famous domicile arrest in London, then the good friend the Iron Lady helping Pinochet to get back in Chile. Then he was also under house arrest in Chile by chilean judges because of all the money the family took away in the Riggs case.

a video of a spanish journalist working for the tv public network under attack before the funeral of pinochet  by his supporters.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzX_ZZmy4Pg[/youtube]
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2010, 06:00:41 AM »
monster, You're extremely handicapped from the start. You conflate global and local constantly. And because of that, it's impossible to take you seriously. That you try to extrapolate your experience of running a 5 man business in New Hampshire (effing NH  :rofl_2: :lmao!: :hysterical: OMG I can't breathe, effing NH :rofl_2: :lmao!: :hysterical:  just makes... well, to me... your chest thumping and spouting off only makes you look silly. Perhaps you've successfully snowed over the others.

you're totally ill-equipped; you're in over your puny head. When I want to know how to run a small business, I'll definitely come a callin'.  :)

I can tell you all day long what the Dems and Repubs have done that's wrong. You've never, not once, had anything to contribute to any discussion. You're so biased by Fox, you can't approach a discussion with any trace of objectivity. It's all Obama, all bad, all day. You can't stand that Obama is President, you've made yourself clear. It pains you so that you've never been objective, not once. You need to take a look at when you and swish found religion on economics. Late 2008 when Obama was about to clean McClown's clock. Fox scared the crap out of you two boneheads and you started regurgitating their cud here. Not once did you knuckleheads question anything Bush did. Bush!  :rofl_2:  :rofl_2: :lmao!: :hysterical:  To you and swish and Fox, Bush is beyond reproach.

Frustration with the failure of your own personal philosophy is no excuse for insulting and discourteous behavior in a public forum. :thumb-down: :no-no-no: :thumb-down:

Perhaps it is exactly this sort of boorish behaviour which finds you on the downside of life lacking any meaningful relationships.  Excepting of course, your position at T4U as an 'expert' at political and economic affairs. :rofl_2:

Don't be sad L'il Buddy, we still love you. :love:
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 06:15:49 AM by monstertruck »
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2010, 06:27:44 AM »
Let me guess, you're not an economist, have never studied economics, have never studied depression economics, have never studied comparative economics...
You're a really good Guesser. :rofl_2:

Let me try my hand at this game!

You've never been a businessman, met a payroll, been responsible for someone else's liveihood.
You've never walked a strike line, been a union rep, or been at the wrong end of a gun because of it.
You've just read books and listened to far-left nut job professors (who've never worked themselves) preach about theoretical economics.  Am I close? :))

I certainly am no expert on economics but I do know that if you don't prepare yourself for the coming winter (save) then you'll either freeze or starve to death.

Unless of course you feel that you're entitled to a gov(read- fellow taxpayers) handout because you were too stupid or lazy to prepare.  That goes for both individuals and big biz.

Being a professor isn't a real job? :confused1: I guess I'll let my tenured professors know that they haven't been working for the past 30 years. :rofl_2: Maybe it's just me, but it makes sense that we save during an economic boom and spend what we save during an economic recession, to create jobs and stimulate a sluggish economy. I've only taken micro and macro so maybe this is too simple of a concept but it makes sense to me. :dunno:
A more accurate statement regarding professors would be-
"Many professors have little experience with the business world having spent the majority of their lives in the academic world and therefore their opinions regarding economics  may reflect that lack of 'real world' experience."

I agree with your thoughts regarding saving & spending.
It's exactly what I said regarding preparations for winter.  Save when you can sos you'll have a little sumptin' for the lean times. ;-()  And make no mistake, there are some mighty lean times ahead.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2010, 08:12:16 AM »
I think the lean times are behind us. The recession ended last June. Just need the economy to catch up.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2010, 09:29:33 AM »
I think the lean times are behind us. The recession ended last June. Just need the economy to catch up.
Let's hope you are right.

What economic indicators are you (and your Professors ;-()) basing it on?

The word on the street is that people are scared and spending less money.
Businesses are leary of the potential costs of Obama/PelosiCare and therefore aren't expanding or hiring.
In fact they are doing the opposite, including buying back their own stocks.
Most voters are pissed at the amount of spending approved by Congress.

Only time will tell.

CONK da ball!!!

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2010, 10:51:30 AM »
Let's hope you are right.

What economic indicators are you (and your Professors ;-()) basing it on?

The word on the street is that people are scared and spending less money.
Businesses are leary of the potential costs of Obama/PelosiCare and therefore aren't expanding or hiring.
In fact they are doing the opposite, including buying back their own stocks.
Most voters are pissed at the amount of spending approved by Congress.

Only time will tell.

According to the National Bureau of Economic Research:

The Business Cycle Dating Committee of the National Bureau of Economic Research met yesterday by conference call. At its meeting, the committee determined that a trough in business activity occurred in the U.S. economy in June 2009. The trough marks the end of the recession that began in December 2007 and the beginning of an expansion. The recession lasted 18 months, which makes it the longest of any recession since World War II. Previously the longest postwar recessions were those of 1973-75 and 1981-82, both of which lasted 16 months.

In determining that a trough occurred in June 2009, the committee did not conclude that economic conditions since that month have been favorable or that the economy has returned to operating at normal capacity. Rather, the committee determined only that the recession ended and a recovery began in that month. A recession is a period of falling economic activity spread across the economy, lasting more than a few months, normally visible in real GDP, real income, employment, industrial production, and wholesale-retail sales. The trough marks the end of the declining phase and the start of the rising phase of the business cycle. Economic activity is typically below normal in the early stages of an expansion, and it sometimes remains so well into the expansion.

Q: What about the unemployment rate?

A: The unemployment rate lags behind the NBER cycle dates as a general matter–it reaches a low point somewhat later than the peak in activity and usually remains at high levels after activity reaches its trough. For example, in the recovery beginning in March 1991, the unemployment rate continued to rise for 15 months after the trough. The lag was 19 months in 2001 to 2003. In the current recovery, the lag was only 4 months, from the trough in activity in June 2009 to the highest point of the unemployment rate in October 2009. But even in September 2010, the unemployment rate remained at high levels, even though these levels were below the maximum reached in October 2009.

---------------

The NBER are not some group of people who come up with these numbers arbitrarily. A recession is based on one thing in particular: shrinkage of the gross domestic product. Unemployment rates, interest rates and other economic factors follow behind the GDP. Think of it this way: when you are diagnosed with a disease, just the knowledge of the existence of it does not cure you. First you realize there is a problem, then you undergo testing, then you are diagnosed and finally you are treated and hopefully cure. The recession is like a national disease. Now that we know it is over, there will still be lingering effects, but those will catch up eventually.

And what you said about businesses is what typically happens during a recovery. Unemployment is slow to increase because even though we are in a recovery, employers don't think so and are cautious about hiring.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 10:53:49 AM by BGT »

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2010, 11:57:25 AM »
Frustration with the failure of your own personal philosophy is no excuse for insulting and discourteous behavior in a public forum. :thumb-down: :no-no-no: :thumb-down:

Perhaps it is exactly this sort of boorish behaviour which finds you on the downside of life lacking any meaningful relationships.  Excepting of course, your position at T4U as an 'expert' at political and economic affairs. :rofl_2:

Is it me?

It's him.

I'm calling you out. I'm giving you an opportunity to show me and the others that you've got game, but time and time again, you prove my point for me: you got no game. Just an empty head with a big fat mouth.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 12:32:25 PM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2010, 12:43:01 PM »

Is it me?

It's him.

I'm calling you out. I'm giving you an opportunity to show me and the others that you've got game, but time and time again, you prove my point for me: you got no game. Just an empty head with a big fat mouth.

Further illustration of my point.
Nice job!

I'd love to stay and chat, but I just finished work and am headed out fishin'.

You go :)) ahead and just continue to hang out here in your own little slice of virtual reality.
CONK da ball!!!

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2010, 12:59:06 PM »
Nice job!

You go :)) ahead and just continue to hang out here in your own little slice of virtual reality.

That's definitely something I'll turn to you for expert advice. And we'll have that discussion in your next moan about Obama, because macroeconomic policy flies over your head.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2010, 07:13:13 AM »
Nice job!

That's definitely something I'll turn to you for expert advice. And we'll have that discussion in your next moan about Obama, because macroeconomic policy flies over your head.
At least my head doesn't look like this. ;-()
Apparently your 'smarter than thou' tumor is especially large.

CONK da ball!!!

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2010, 02:39:14 PM »
Retail sales grew for the third month in a row and the interest rate on my student loan increased as well. Perfect signs that we are in an economic recovery.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2010, 02:48:15 PM »

:))

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2010, 04:33:38 PM »
Retail sales grew for the third month in a row and the interest rate on my student loan increased as well. Perfect signs that we are in an economic recovery.
Bernanke and his central bank colleagues are considering ways they can stimulate the economy as the unemployment rate holds near 10 percent and inflation falls short of their goals. After lowering interest rates almost to zero and purchasing $1.7 trillion of securities, policy makers are discussing expanding the Fed’s balance sheet by purchasing Treasuries and strategies for raising inflation expectations, according to the minutes of the Federal Open Market Committee’s Sept. 21 meeting.

“At current rates of inflation, the constraint imposed by the zero lower bound on nominal interest rates is too tight” and the “risk of deflation is higher than desirable,” Bernanke said. “High unemployment is currently forecast to persist for some time.”

Fed officials, concerned that expectations of lower inflation will become self-fulfilling, are debating whether to encourage Americans to believe that prices will start rising at a faster pace so that they would spend more of their money now, the minutes from last month’s meeting showed. That would reduce inflation-adjusted interest rates and stimulate the economy.

“Central bank communication provides additional means of increasing the degree of policy accommodation,” Bernanke said. “A step the Committee could consider, if conditions called for it, would be to modify the language of the statement in some way that indicates that the Committee expects to keep the target for the federal funds rate low for longer than markets expect.”

Plan A didn't work and now they're moving to Plan B and they are going to 'communicte' in such a way so people will believe them in order to build confidence in Plan B. 

Nice, real nice.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2010, 04:50:33 PM »
Well, people didn't UNDERSTAND them when they said the recession is over. They have no choice when people don't understand macroeconomics so they have to put it in word the average person will understand.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2010, 07:18:29 AM »
“Central bank communication provides additional means of increasing the degree of policy accommodation,” Bernanke said. “A step the Committee could consider, if conditions called for it, would be to modify the language of the statement in some way that indicates that the Committee expects to keep the target for the federal funds rate low for longer than markets expect.”

As I read that paragraph over and over it appears to me as though it's a manipulation of our perception of policy.
Specifically these phrases:
means of increasing the degree of policy accommodation
could consider, if conditions called for it,
modify the language of the statement in some way

I've got a great idea Feds.
Instead of attempting to manipulate public opinion.
Tell us what you think the best plan is.
Execute the plan.
We'll decide if it worked or not.

I say look for a dismal retail season this Christmas.
Further tightening of the belts over the winter.
A very sluggish start to the spring as people realize that any change in Congress from the Nov. election
will have no real impact on the economy.

Here's to hoping you've squirreled away a few nuts and not dug yourself deeper into debt.
As I've been saying for several years now.  It's time to liquidate assets and reduce debt/overhead.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2010, 08:30:55 AM »

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2010, 11:11:07 AM »
Don't have time to post much, but would you support an increase in taxes if this were happening?

http://www.lsureveille.com/news/all-english-instructors-receive-notices-1.2361076

http://www.lsureveille.com/news/higher-education-budget-to-receive-most-significant-portion-of-state-cuts-1.2362429
After a quick read through, my intitial reaction is no, I would not support a tax increase.

A quick review of the LA state budget immediately reveals an area of fat that could use some trimming-
Highest salaries
Four out of the top five highest paid state employees work at LSU. These include:[44]

John Lombardi, President, LSU System Board of Supervisors - $550,000
J. Stanley "Skip" Bertman, Athletic Director, LSU - $425,000
Gary Crowton, Assistant Head Coach, LSU - $400,000
Michael Martin, Chancellor, LSU, $400,000
Sally Clausen, Commissioner, Board of Regents - $377,000

So, after my 5 minute research and less than thorough review, my only slight informed opinion is NO to raising taxes. :)

CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2010, 11:23:19 AM »
Don't have time to post much, but would you support an increase in taxes if this were happening?

http://www.lsureveille.com/news/all-english-instructors-receive-notices-1.2361076

http://www.lsureveille.com/news/higher-education-budget-to-receive-most-significant-portion-of-state-cuts-1.2362429
Oddly enough, no facts are given as to the effect of cutting nearly half the instructors in 2003 and the dept. chair has no clue as to what the impact of future cuts may have.

What do you know about BRCC?
Are the english courses there really 'watered-down'?

My guess is that this is another stink about who gets the money.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2010, 06:57:03 PM »

After a quick read through, my intitial reaction is no, I would not support a tax increase.

A quick review of the LA state budget immediately reveals an area of fat that could use some trimming-
Highest salaries
Four out of the top five highest paid state employees work at LSU. These include:[44]

John Lombardi, President, LSU System Board of Supervisors - $550,000
J. Stanley "Skip" Bertman, Athletic Director, LSU - $425,000
Gary Crowton, Assistant Head Coach, LSU - $400,000
Michael Martin, Chancellor, LSU, $400,000
Sally Clausen, Commissioner, Board of Regents - $377,000

So, after my 5 minute research and less than thorough review, my only slight informed opinion is NO to raising taxes. :)

Cutting a few thousand dollars from their salaries aren't going to make up for the millions of dollars of cuts. They've already eliminated four foreign languages. They're considering changing the system for the janitors from cleaning the bathrooms once a day to twice a week.

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2010, 07:04:08 PM »

Oddly enough, no facts are given as to the effect of cutting nearly half the instructors in 2003 and the dept. chair has no clue as to what the impact of future cuts may have.

What do you know about BRCC?
Are the english courses there really 'watered-down'?

My guess is that this is another stink about who gets the money.

What do you think the impact would be if you eliminated an entire department's faculty? :confused1: It's not like this is philosophy or art. This is ENGLISH! And BRCC is a community college; it's crap. I took History 101 and 102 as a senior in high school and got A's and constantly higher grades than my professor's college students.

Higher education should get the money over anything. This is their future.