Author Topic: ALLEZ Gilles Simon!  (Read 5649 times)

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
Re: ALLEZ Gilles!!!
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2010, 06:37:03 AM »
6th title,  September 28, 2009  Bangkok, Thailand Hard (i)  Viktor Troicki 7–5, 6–3

Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
Re: ALLEZ Gilles!!!
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2010, 06:39:15 AM »
7th title, September 26, 2010  Metz, France Hard (i)  Mischa Zverev 6–3, 6–2

Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
Re: ALLEZ Gilles Simon!!!!
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2010, 06:50:34 AM »
Here's Gilles Simon, who just ended a 51-week title drought by winning Metz, with his partner, Carine Lauret, and their new baby boy, Timothée, who was born four weeks early on September 2nd.  :)

Gilles was competing at the US Open at the time of his son's birth, and after going down to Rafael Nadal he admitted he was a little bit distracted in his post-match presser. I bet he was. Also, check out the look of utter amazement and wonder on the his face. I guess being a first-time daddy will do that to you. :))

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 07:21:12 AM by conchita »

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
Re: ALLEZ Gilles Simon!
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2010, 07:15:36 AM »

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Tournaments/Montpellier.aspx

Gilles didn't even make honorable mention from the ATP for this tourney??? :confused1:
Tough first round against Mahut.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2010, 04:10:46 PM »
in the atp site they only post the names and faces of the 8 seeded players.

Mahut will be very though. Horrible matchup for Simon. 

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2010, 04:23:29 PM »
in the atp site they only post the names and faces of the 8 seeded players.

Mahut will be very though. Horrible matchup for Simon. 
I would guess the indoor surface will favor Mahut.
Is ok, I like his tennis too! :)
CONK da ball!!!

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2010, 05:37:59 AM »
yesterday, Simon defeated Mahut 6-4, 6-4!  :)
today, he will face Nalbandian!!! :scared:

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2010, 03:50:54 PM »
Gilles Simon came within three points of making a second round exit, but clawed his way back to beat eighth seed and wild card entry David Nalbandian 3-6, 7-6(5), 7-5 in two hours and 15 minutes.  :)

"I am extremely happy about this victory," said Simon. "I almost lost the match fairly easily and was able to come through in the second and third set. Nalbandian is probably one of the toughest opponents indoor so this victory feels really good." :)

Simon said about facing countryman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga next: "To play against Jo tomorrow won’t be easy, we will have to see." :scared:
Last month, Simon captured his seventh ATP World Tour title at the Open de Moselle in Metz (d. Zverev).

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2010, 05:25:44 PM »
Nalby can be extra tough indoors.
Good for Gilles, a hard fought win.
Perhaps he is ramping up for a good run at the AO next year! :)
CONK da ball!!!

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2010, 04:47:45 PM »
I think Nalby is not the same since he came back from injury. Try to see a video about the Davis Cup semifinal, Argentina in France, the tears of David in the national anthem, probably he was feeling that was his last chance to win the Davis but with Del Potro out it was almost impossible. The Davis Cup is very important for Argentinian fans, players and coaches.

Today, Gilles lost to Tsonga but it was closer than I expected and Simon really fought hard but as always between those 2, it's Jo who has the last laugh. Tsonga fired 19 aces and saved five of six break points to defeat fellow Simon 6-3, 6-7(0), 6-3. Tsonga improved to 4-1 in career meetings with Simon.

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2010, 09:12:53 PM »
I think Nalby is not the same since he came back from injury. Try to see a video about the Davis Cup semifinal, Argentina in France, the tears of David in the national anthem, probably he was feeling that was his last chance to win the Davis but with Del Potro out it was almost impossible. The Davis Cup is very important for Argentinian fans, players and coaches.

Today, Gilles lost to Tsonga but it was closer than I expected and Simon really fought hard but as always between those 2, it's Jo who has the last laugh. Tsonga fired 19 aces and saved five of six break points to defeat fellow Simon 6-3, 6-7(0), 6-3. Tsonga improved to 4-1 in career meetings with Simon.

Agreed, Nalby's not quite the same though he's had some great matches since.

I love JWT's exuberance, athletic ability, and shot making.
I just wish he were consistent enough to win a few more matches when it counts.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2010, 09:50:08 PM »

sadly, the problem of JWT is that he is too injury prone and sometimes can make silly mistakes in the most important moments of the match.
I also feel he is saving his best tennis for the very last of the season, trying to qualify for the Masters Cup, 250 Montpellier, 500 Valencia, MS Paris-Bercy and the Davis Cup Final in Belgrade where he will be the leader of France.

If France makes the upset in the final, he will arrive full of confidence to a major in which he has already played a final, the AO.

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2010, 10:24:01 PM »

sadly, the problem of JWT is that he is too injury prone and sometimes can make silly mistakes in the most important moments of the match.
I also feel he is saving his best tennis for the very last of the season, trying to qualify for the Masters Cup, 250 Montpellier, 500 Valencia, MS Paris-Bercy and the Davis Cup Final in Belgrade where he will be the leader of France.

If France makes the upset in the final, he will arrive full of confidence to a major in which he has already played a final, the AO.
:fingers crossed: :))

Sometimes I think his silly mistakes go hand in hand with his exuberant spirit.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2010, 03:26:17 AM »
the season of Jo is over!  :( another injury!  :(

About Simon. Since making a return from a right knee injury in June, Simon has compiled a 22-12 record that includes one ATP World Tour title success at the Open de Moselle in Metz (d. Zverev). "I'm feeling good again," he added. "I had a long injury, playing injured for six months and then stopping for six months. Finally I feel in good shape again. I'm just happy to be back in good shape." :)

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2011, 10:48:32 PM »
Next up for Gilles, a ResaErected Roger.

CONK da ball!!!

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2011, 01:22:26 AM »

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2011, 07:41:30 AM »
Gilles nearly put the breaks on The Federer Express in the 2nd round.
Fortunately for Fed, his opponent is still rusty after a long layoff last year!!!!!
Although Fed was on fire the first 2 sets and Simon was nowhere to be found, he managed to persevere in the 3rd set and push it to 5.  I can just imagine all the FedFans crapping their pants as panic set in. 

A good accounting for Gillou!!!
Although I don't see him ascending to the top 4, he is a smart player who's consistency forces the opponent to play above average tennis for an entire match.
...and as always, he's a class act.
 :))
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2011, 12:35:23 PM »
Q. Well played. Did you feel you were really going to win that match at some stage, especially when you came back to two sets all? Did you feel you had it in you to win?

GILES SIMON: Yeah. I was playing to win. Of course. At the moment, I had the impression that I was playing just a little bit better than him.

Finally, at the beginning of the fifth, he played a very good game. I think we were 1 All, Love 30 on his serve. Then he played four good points in a row. Two from the baseline and two aces. He started to be better on his serve and on the second shot. It was harder after.

I think he played a great match also.

Q. What did you think made the difference from the first two sets? He looked in control for most of that time. Did he lift your game or did you drop off a little bit?

GILES SIMON: Well, you need time to get used to his game. It's going fast; he's moving fast also. He can play one forehand for me, and the other one the same. It's just impressive.

There is not too many players able to play this level, so it feels a little bit strange. You just look at the ball, and you have yeah, you have the impression that you cannot do anything at the moment.

But the thing also is I was doing one mistake every game on my side, and I was just thinking about not doing it anymore. I just wanted to play my match. I was feeling good. I had also the impression that I could do better than that, a little bit better.

Finally, managed to come back. But not enough.

Q. Did you get a little tired right at the end?

GILES SIMON: Yes, I was tired. I had to run everywhere for three hours. There is not too many players who can play longer than me, but Roger is one of them. He was moving still very fast until the end. Maybe that's why it gives the impression that I was dropping down a little bit. But I was still feeling good.

Q. Even though you lost, you got to take some positive out of that to push a player of that quality, especially after injuries and so on you've had over the last couple years.

GILES SIMON: Well, of course it's good to play this kind of match. At the Australian Open it's almost better. The problem is I lost second round, and tomorrow you will forget it and I will have to work for the next tournament. It will be different.

I'm just sad that I had to play Roger this soon in the tournament. I was feeling good. I was hoping to play a very good tournament, but the draw was tough. Even with a very good match from me, it was not enough.

Q. You have been up to 6 in the world. You must be thinking you're on the right track to get back to where you were, if not higher.

GILES SIMON: At the moment I'm feeling better. I can move as I want and it's good for my game. The thing is I'm not seeded anymore so I have to come back as soon as possible with the ranking, because the three slams I played since I came back, I played Andy third round in Murray in Wimbledon; Rafa third round in the US Open, and now Roger second round. It's hard to win every time.

Q. What do you think it is about your game that causes Roger so many problems? He's had problems against you, particularly your forehand. He seemed to be really surprised by it.

GILES SIMON: Well, I think that he is playing so well. And when I played the two first sets, I had the impression that I am so bad, because I cannot do anything. I feel like he's in control, he can do whatever he wants. At a moment, I just think, It's enough. I have to do something. I have to hit everything and take some more risks.

It's not easy when you play some other players with, I mean, same level. It's always fight, four games all, five games all, so you never want to give the easy point.

But against Roger and he wins 6 3, 6 2, one hour, you cannot do worse than that. Even if you missed everything, it's 6 0 and it's done.

So I have to up my game a little bit. I feel that on the court, and that's why I'm playing my best match against him.

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2011, 06:59:28 AM »
I'm just sad that I had to play Roger this soon in the tournament. I was feeling good. I was hoping to play a very good tournament, but the draw was tough. Even with a very good match from me, it was not enough.

Q. You have been up to 6 in the world. You must be thinking you're on the right track to get back to where you were, if not higher.

GILES SIMON: At the moment I'm feeling better. I can move as I want and it's good for my game. The thing is I'm not seeded anymore so I have to come back as soon as possible with the ranking, because the three slams I played since I came back, I played Andy third round in Murray in Wimbledon; Rafa third round in the US Open, and now Roger second round. It's hard to win every time.
This could be crucial to his success in 2011-12.  Aside from his consistency and mental toughness, he lacks a big weapon that can hurt the top players (though that BHDTL is sweet!) and to get the bump so early in the big tourneys must be disappointing. :(
CONK da ball!!!

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2011, 01:21:11 PM »
This could be crucial to his success in 2011-12.  Aside from his consistency and mental toughness, he lacks a big weapon that can hurt the top players (though that BHDTL is sweet!) and to get the bump so early in the big tourneys must be disappointing. :(

that's really part of the problems of the counterpuncher players, they are a wall, can run for hours but lack the big weapon. example: Ferrer. In the Hewitt vs Nalby match Fred Stolle said how Hewitt was ok with the style in the early 2000's but then a decade later he has not been able to bring a lethal weapon.

Anyway, Bravo for Gilles, he won 2 sets against Mr. Roger Federer and he fought til the end!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 01:21:55 PM by conchita »