Author Topic: ALLEZ Gilles Simon!  (Read 5614 times)

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
Re: ALLEZ Gilles Simon!
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2011, 01:25:38 PM »
8th title,  January 15, 2011  Sydney, Australia Hard  Viktor Troicki 7Ė5, 7Ė6(4)

Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2011, 01:25:46 PM »
This could be crucial to his success in 2011-12.  Aside from his consistency and mental toughness, he lacks a big weapon that can hurt the top players (though that BHDTL is sweet!) and to get the bump so early in the big tourneys must be disappointing. :(

that's really part of the problems of the counterpuncher players, they are a wall, can run for hours but lack the big weapon. example: Ferrer. In the Hewitt vs Nalby match Fred Stolle said how Hewitt was ok with the style in the early 2000's but then a decade later he has not been able to bring a lethal weapon.

Anyway, Bravo for Gilles, he won 2 sets against Mr. Roger Federer and he fought til the end!
There is always the hope that he can improve his serve and make that more of a weapon.  If not, I'll be happy to watch him continue giving the top players fits if they are just a wee bit off their game.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2011, 01:47:17 PM »
There is always the hope that he can improve his serve and make that more of a weapon.  If not, I'll be happy to watch him continue giving the top players fits if they are just a wee bit off their game.

the serve has been the first thing he is trying to improve in the last 2 years, it's becoming better and better. he should work more the forehand...and never give hope, perhaps one time he will know how to play at the net and do a volley.
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2011, 01:51:47 PM »

the serve has been the first thing he is trying to improve in the last 2 years, it's becoming better and better. he should work more the forehand...and never give hope, perhaps one time he will know how to play at the net and do a volley.
:))  :fingers crossed:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2011, 10:55:44 PM »
Next up for Simon, fellow frenchman J. Chardy.  Should be a piece of cake. :king:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2011, 09:01:25 PM »
Some days everything works out a treat, and others you struggle to get the job done and ultimately come up short. On day seven of Roland Garros, Gilles Simon and Robin Soderling fell firmly into the former camp while, Fernando Verdasco languished in the latter.
On paper, Gilles Simon faced a tall order in the form of American Mardy Fish, who is now the leading player in the United States. Not only did he enter the tournament with a career-high ranking of no.10, Fish was also celebrating reaching the third round of the French Open for the first time in his career.

But Swiss-based Simon did not disappoint the French fans who flocked to Philippe Chatrier to support him. After all, they had waited a long time for this moment. Last year, a knee injury forced the 26-year-old to miss the Australian Open and Roland Garros and, following surgery, his ranking dropped to no.48. This afternoon there was very much a glimmer of the brilliance that helped Simon climb to no.6 in the world rankings in January 2009. He commanded the match with a beautiful baseline game and glided effortlessly around the court. Fireworks were thrown in during the third set when Fish, who was trailing 0-4, was handed a code violation for seemingly cracking his racquet. The drama did little to aid his concentration and Simon closed out the match with two hours on the clock in a victory made all the sweeter by being executed in his homeland. "What I really liked is that he didn't really serve well, whereas usually his serve is so strong. It's difficult to break him," Simon said after the match. "Today it was a lot less difficult than I thought with his service game. I could return most of his serves."

CONK da ball!!!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2011, 03:29:37 PM »
I still look back to that epic match during the first week of the AO this year when he took Federer to 5 sets in the typical small hours of the morning. When his game is on, he is really great to watch.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2011, 03:34:44 PM »
I still look back to that epic match during the first week of the AO this year when he took Federer to 5 sets in the typical small hours of the morning. When his game is on, he is really great to watch.

Except Giles seem to only bring that game once in a blue moon...
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2011, 04:27:11 PM »

Like, Tsonga, the other frenchie I root for, he seems to ride the injury/recovery roller coaster making it tough to solidify gains in his game.  I'm not one for steady Eddy low-risk tennis, but there's something about this kid I like.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2011, 04:35:05 PM »

In part, it is the surprise that adds to the fun  :) . Another time was when he took Roddick out of the Legg Mason last year. Andy was so shocked  :scared: that it brought on a mono attack.  But Simon was playing well. In an earlier match at the same tournament, the chap sitting next to me said about him."He's returning balls like a backboard!  :lmao: "

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2011, 04:37:34 PM »
I think he's the French version of Ferrer.
A dogged competitor who makes the most out of the physical/mental gifts he's been blessed with.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2012, 01:32:30 PM »
Simon Clinches Bucharest Hat-trick

Gilles Simon won the Bucharest trophy for the third time.

World No. 12 Gilles Simon triumphed at the BRD Nastase Tiriac Trophy for the third time on Sunday as he defeated first-time finalist Fabio Fognini 6-4, 6-3.

The Frenchman had clinched the title on his previous two visits to Bucharest in 2007 (d. Hanescu) and 2008 (d. Moya) and improved to a 15-1 mark at the ATP World Tour 250 clay-court tennis tournament.

"Itís great," said Simon. "I played a great match today. It was very difficult; Fabio played well and I had to run a lot today. You really have the feeling that you are never in control of the game. Iím always happy when I win a tournament like this because sometimes people think it will be easy when youíre the No. 1 seed, but on

The top-seeded Simon clinched the first set after five breaks of serve had been exchanged and broke Fogniniís serve twice more in the second set to claim victory in one hour and 50 minutes. He saved 10 of the 12 break points he faced. It was his fourth win in four meetings with Fognini.

The 28-year-old Simon captured his 10th ATP World Tour title and fifth on clay. He has won at least one ATP World Tour title every year since 2007. The right-hander improved to a 21-10 match record on the season, having also reached the semi-finals in Brisbane (l. to Dolgopolov), Montpellier (l. to Monfils) and last week on clay in Monte-Carlo (l. to Nadal).

The No. 57-ranked Fognini was attempting to become the first player this season to win his maiden ATP World Tour title. En route to the final, he had beaten fifth seed Marcos Baghdatis and No. 6 Andreas Seppi.

The 24-year-old Italian, who was sidelined earlier in the season with a foot injury, dropped to a 6-6 match record in 2012.

"Iím upset because I lost the final," said Fognini. "I had my chances, but he has played more finals than me and is more experienced. Maybe next time I will have the chance to win the tournament. Itís been a good week. Iím happy that I played great tennis; it was just my third tournament after the injury."
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 01:36:14 PM by conchita »

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2012, 01:34:48 PM »
Gilles Simon Q&A: The Patient PlayStationer

As part of ATPWorldTour.comís new Q&A series, Simon talks about his decision to return to the tournament after a four-year hiatus, his greatest strength on court and why he prefers PlayStation 3 to other video game consoles.

Youíve won 14 of the 15 matches youíve played here. Where does this tournament rank on your list of favourite ATP World Tour stops?
Itís a very important tournament for me. It was my second title. It was also the first time I was able to defend a title. And maybe it will be the first tournament I win three times if I win the final tomorrow. I like the conditions here. It suits well with my game.

After winning back-to-back titles in 2007-2008, you took a four year break before returning to Bucharest. What made you decide to come back to the event?
Bucharest was in September before and was the only tournament on clay at this moment in the season. In 2007, I played because my best results at the time were on clay. And in 2008, I came because I wanted to defend my title. After that, it was easier for me to play on hard courts. And unfortunately, I couldnít come here because there were two nice tournaments in the same week. One was in Bangkok, which I won and one was in Metz, which I also won. It was difficult to make the choice.

The past nine months, youíve been within striking distance of the Top 10. How important is it for you to break back into this group?
The ranking depends on your results. I just try to focus on each tournament and win as many matches as possible. Then the ranking comes. As I was already in the Top 10, to be back there would be nice, but it wonít change my life. What I aim for is to be in the Top 5, as I was No. 6 in the world. I know that I have a lot of work to do to reach that ranking.

Nearly half of your titles have come on clay. What do you like about playing on the surface and on the contrary, what challenges does it present you?
On the clay, I think I can play my best tennis when Iím in good shape. I feel when Iím physically strong, it will be very hard for my opponent to hit a winner against me. The serve is less important, so itís really perfect for my game. But unfortunately on clay, as soon as you are physically a little bit down or have an injury, then your level drops very fast and you can lose to anybody. Thatís the hardest part of clay, being fit and ready.

Would you consider your tennis mind your greatest strength, given your ability to stay patient and then pull the trigger at the right time?
I donít like to miss. Thatís why sometimes I play too slowly. I feel like my strength is the ability to do everything on the court. Sometimes I am patient, but if I play a player who is more patient than me, I am also able to be aggressive. I often find the solution to the problem the opponent asks me. Sometimes, they are too good and I lose the match. But every time, I know I can play a different type of game. Even if I am patient in the first part of the match, I show my opponent it will be hard to get past me.

Why is PlayStation 3 better than its competition, such as the Xbox 360 and the Wii?
I always played the PlayStation because my favourite game is Final Fantasy. The license was first on PS1, then PS2 and now PS3. So thatís why itís better than the others.

If someone was to stay in Paris for just one day, where would you recommend he/she visit?
Is there good weather?

Yes, letís say that.
I think itís not a good idea to come for just one day as you will miss everything. My main advice is to come for at least one week.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 01:36:44 PM by conchita »