Author Topic: The RIGHT to retire?  (Read 1276 times)

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
The RIGHT to retire?
« on: October 16, 2010, 12:59:05 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20101016/ts_afp/francestrikepoliticspensions

What's next?
Why didn't they pick 45 years old instead of 60? :rofl_2:
CONK da ball!!!

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
Re: The RIGHT to retire?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 06:33:17 PM »
Break it down for us, monster.  :rofl_2:

Can't *ucking wait!!  :rofl_2: :lmao!: :hysterical:

1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 09:49:30 PM »
Apparently it's gone right over your head already. ;-()
CONK da ball!!!

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 11:24:08 PM »

You have no idea what's going on in France. You have no idea what goes on outside of your bubble. And why should you? Ayn Rand wrote your little Bible of mind control, one that abhors society. This is why your "ignorance is bliss" based extrapolations are nothing short of pure comedy.

I don't have a chart of the conservative brain from a comic strip, but I do have science.

The authors also maintain they're not judgmental. Labeling conservatives" less integratively complex," isn't precisely the same as saying they're simple- minded. It merely means conservatives aren't compelled to jump through complex, intellectual hoops to justify their relatively black-and-white view of the world.

One of the researchers' methods involved analyzing political speeches and judicial opinions on the basis of structural complexity. Conservatives thought and spoke more simply.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/08/03/IN250702.DTL

« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 11:25:10 PM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 12:55:39 AM »
As usual, babble opens mouth - inserts foot.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 06:26:06 AM »

You have no idea what's going on in France. You have no idea what goes on outside of your bubble. And why should you? Ayn Rand wrote your little Bible of mind control, one that abhors society. This is why your "ignorance is bliss" based extrapolations are nothing short of pure comedy.

I don't have a chart of the conservative brain from a comic strip, but I do have science.

The authors also maintain they're not judgmental. Labeling conservatives" less integratively complex," isn't precisely the same as saying they're simple- minded. It merely means conservatives aren't compelled to jump through complex, intellectual hoops to justify their relatively black-and-white view of the world.

One of the researchers' methods involved analyzing political speeches and judicial opinions on the basis of structural complexity. Conservatives thought and spoke more simply.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/08/03/IN250702.DTL

More generalizations and labeling from a self-proclaimed 'progressive'.
Is that really what you're all about? :(

Why did you choose to leave this part of the article out of your post?

In a peer critique published in the Psychological Bulletin, psychology professors from the University of Arizona and Ludwig-Maximilians-Universitat Munchen maintain that fear, uncertainty and other variables "contribute to ideological rigidity independently of whether the ideology is right-wing or left-wing."

There are other shortcomings: Two-thirds of the studies reviewed were done with college students, and none of the research was done in left-wing authoritarian countries such as China, Cuba or the former Soviet Union, where "conservatives" could be considered left-wing.

Or this-

At the National Review Online, columnist Jonah Goldberg termed the research "more bogus than a $6 Rolex."

If you think left-wingers have a high tolerance for ambiguity, he said, try telling them a factory closing can be a good thing. If you think the left never plays on fear and aggression, explain the anti-globalization movement. "Liberalism in America is almost entirely reactionary," Goldberg charged. "During the last presidential election, the Democratic rhetoric was all about 'stopping' Big oil, Big tobacco, Big this and Big that."

The study contends conservatives' intolerance of ambiguity "is hypothesized to lead people to cling to the familiar, to arrive at premature conclusions, to impose simplistic cliches and stereotypes." But critics say the right has no monopoly on intolerance or simplistic thought.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/08/03/IN250702.DTL#ixzz12c9YQK3T

Picking and choosing the facts is certainly no way to form and informed opinion.
Not very open-minded or liberal in my opinion. :rofl_2:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 09:52:50 AM »
It would be hard for an American to understand or to be able to commiserate, but there is a completely different work culture in France. I just hope all this is settled by the time I go back to France next summer.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 09:55:47 AM by BGT »

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 07:30:35 PM »
I hear Architects never truly retire.  Hopefully when I am ready to step down from the serious grind I can still do certain projects for certain clients.  I would never really want to give up designing architecture for people.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 07:40:05 PM »
It would be hard for an American to understand or to be able to commiserate, but there is a completely different work culture in France. I just hope all this is settled by the time I go back to France next summer.

It sounds like leisure culture, not WORK culture to me. Ingrates, degenerates, parasites, fools.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 08:20:12 PM »

It sounds like leisure culture, not WORK culture to me.

It is. :) Americans live to work; the French work to live. Working just provides them the opportunities to spend time with family, friends, food, wine, sports, vacations. Work does not come before those things.

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 01:31:41 PM »

It sounds like leisure culture, not WORK culture to me.

It is. :) Americans live to work; the French work to live. Working just provides them the opportunities to spend time with family, friends, food, wine, sports, vacations. Work does not come before those things.
ILLOGICAL STATEMENT ALERT
Work must come before any those things.
You must support your family and friends.
You must pay for your food, wine, sports, and vacations.

Only through productive work can any of those items be had.

CONK da ball!!!

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 01:38:47 PM »
But of course there must be a balance.

Mexican Fisherman Joke
Here’s the joke (or at least one version of it) I recapped in the video:

An American businessman was standing at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish.

“How long it took you to catch them?” The American asked.

“Only a little while.” The Mexican replied.

“Why don’t you stay out longer and catch more fish?” The American then asked.

“I have enough to support my family’s immediate needs.” The Mexican said.

“But,” The American then asked, “What do you do with the rest of your time?”

The Mexican fisherman said, “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take a siesta with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos, I have a full and busy life, senor.”

The American scoffed, “I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds you buy a bigger boat, and with the proceeds from the bigger boat you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats.”

“Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the consumers, eventually opening your own can factory. You would control the product, processing and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually NYC where you will run your expanding enterprise.”

The Mexican fisherman asked, “But senor, how long will this all take?”

To which the American replied, “15-20 years.”

“But what then, senor?”

The American laughed and said, “That’s the best part. When the time is right you would announce an IPO (Initial Public Offering) and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions.”

“Millions, senor? Then what?”

The American said slowly, “Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take a siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos…”

CONK da ball!!!

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 06:55:57 PM »
Good story :rofl_2:

I am LOVING my retirement.  But... some days I'm busier now than I was when I was working :confused1: :rofl_2:

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 07:36:37 PM »
Good story :rofl_2:

I am LOVING my retirement.  But... some days I'm busier now than I was when I was working :confused1: :rofl_2:

That's good Dallas. No use slowing down, you'll have plenty of time for that later.  ;-()