Instructional Tennis > Tennis Journals

Will's Tennis Journal

(1/7) > >>

ShadedOne:
:Introduction:
Hello, i'm a 23 year old college student residing in Southern California. I started watching tennis in either 2002 or 3, watching mainly the Williams Sisters since id been hearing so much about them. Didnt take the game seriously until Summer of 2009. That July, i purchased my first tennis racket (Federer Wilson). With it, i played once with someone very experienced... then stopped that same day due to embarrassment ( my first time playing tennis).

The racket sat in my closet collecting dust until June of this year, when i made the decision to learn the sport and play it seriously. It was tough finding people in my area who were willing to hit with someone new to the sport, but ive found myself fortunate a few times to play people who've had the tolerance to share a court with me. They've all came and went, finding people they've found better fit there level (Many made very nasty/disrespectful exits).

For the fall semester of college, i found that i needed Physical Education credits in order to graduate and tennis was one of the courses offered. Without a second thought, i signed up (Beginners Tennis)... Two birds, one stone. Since August 2010, i've been taking my first tennis course ever. Within the first few days, i've noticed how much more advanced i was to the others, being that most who take a beginners course have very limited experience, if any, on the actual court. The instructor taught new shots with each session, until a few weeks ago when we started to play each other in actual matches (doubles).  It's a good learning experience, and it's expanded my view on tennis in ways i would have never been exposed to otherwise. Granted, there are a few things i would change about the situation, but i cant complain. Its improving/developing my singles game tremendously... i now know that my strength is at the net, even though i prefer to work the baseline. i'm 6'2'' tall which helps making effective smashes and volleys.

Now that i've caught you all up on my tennis journey thus far... stay tuned for whats next for me!

*If you have any questions, feel free to ask

euroka1:
I read your post with great interest. Going to classes has the double benefit of meeting future tennis partners as well as improving one's tennis. Initially, large classes are good as you meet lots of people and can find those at your own level and who you also find congenial. It's not much fun playing with people who are either way better or way worse than you are, in my experience. The optimal experience comes from playing against people who are only slightly better than you are, as this keeps one improving oneself and, with the fluctuations of the game, there is often a soul-boosting win as well.

As said elsewhere, tennis is an important part of my social life. Currently, I play with four different groups at various courts around town and hit with an instructor at the local Y once a week. The instructor is good at correcting  recurring errors and teaching new pointers . Since he is good at returning tennis balls, I probably hit more balls then than during the rest of the week.  Playing with your instructor must be quite an experience!

Please keep posting!

ShadedOne:

--- Quote from: euroka1 on November 23, 2010, 01:21:58 PM ---I read your post with great interest. Going to classes has the double benefit of meeting future tennis partners as well as improving one's tennis. Initially, large classes are good as you meet lots of people and can find those at your own level and who you also find congenial. It's not much fun playing with people who are either way better or way worse than you are, in my experience. The optimal experience comes from playing against people who are only slightly better than you are, as this keeps one improving oneself and, with the fluctuations of the game, there is often a soul-boosting win as well.

As said elsewhere, tennis is an important part of my social life. Currently, I play with four different groups at various courts around town and hit with an instructor at the local Y once a week. The instructor is good at correcting  recurring errors and teaching new pointers . Since he is good at returning tennis balls, I probably hit more balls then than during the rest of the week.  Playing with your instructor must be quite an experience!

Please keep posting!

--- End quote ---

Thank you for taking the time to read my first entry. I agree with you about playing people who are either way better or worse than you are. I remember it doing a great disservice to confidence when i kept losing to the great players, but at the same time, made me even more eager to improve. Four different groups? Wow! That's amazing! i hope one day to take part in opportunities such as those! Im very pleased with playing solely at school for the time being. Every now and then i'll hit around with someone at a park. Im going to start looking into working with an instructor on an intimate basis, there is a specialty park for tennis a few minutes from where i live.. apparently, some old pros teach there.

----

:November 23, 2010:
Tennis class is usually the highlight of my day on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Today was no exception. On tennis days, i usually get to class about 30-45 minutes early to insure that i get enough practice/warmed up before matches start. That went well as always, made many mistakes, but thats normal (especially when you haven't played in 5 days). Felt pretty confident about my play and got a few compliments from classmates.

When matches were about to commence, our instructor informed my partner and I that our opponents for the day were absent, so we won by default 6-0, increasing our wins for the tournament to 5 matches (Overall we are 5-6... pretty sad, i know! :)~). We were alternates for other teams who were missing a member, already off to a great start! We get assigned to different courts and i was placed with a group that is the "better" of the beginners class. I felt great that the instructor saw my effort and hard work, then decided to place me with other individuals at a similar level as I. Shortly after, i got extremely nervous! I always get nervous/anxious before and during matches, and i have no idea why (During practice i'm very relaxed). I felt a lot of pressure today to prove that i belonged there with them. The other three knew each other so the atmosphere was light, with me on the other hand, nearly shaking from nervousness. I didn't do that well in the match, i psyched myself out and dropped serve twice (out of the two times i got to serve) with a bunch of double faults, i was SO embarrassed!! As expected, i fared better at the net, getting a few good slice winners. my pseudo partner and i lost the set 1-6  :( (we only play 1 set during class.)

I got over the loss quickly during another practice session i had with my regular partner.

My partner is not as experienced as i am, but his game has improved a great deal while being partnered with me. On our down time or during practice, i share my knowledge with him in hopes of correcting some of his errors, and it's helped! My latest feat is teaching him the slice  :) (My favorite shot as well as the Running Inside Out Forehand  to Cross Court). He has a great Two-Handed Backhand for a beginner, and pretty good groundstrokes as well. If he sticks with it, im sure he'll be a good player by next spring. We get along and he listens. I honestly i don't like playing doubles very much, but if i were to play again, i'd want him as a partner.

Sport Chalet is deceitful with its selection of tennis strings (in a VERY good way)! I broke the strings of my newer racket several weeks ago (WILSON n6 Hybrid 103 nCode Midplus) and finally got around to taking it in to have it restrung. Last week, i researched several types of strings and found two that i found would best fit my game ( Luxilon Alu Power 125 Rough and Babolat Hurricane Tour). Today i THOUGHT i would go to the store and just choose which like i liked best, but no. When i got there, the selection of strings was nearly DOUBLE from that on the website. My eyes were like pin wheels due to confusion, but i was also relieved (hoping to find a cheaper alternative). I stood in the aisle in front of the strings for a good twenty minutes looking at each one, using my phones internet capabilities to look up reviews on the strings i found more appealing. I ended up not getting either of my two original choices and went with the Babolat Hybrid Pro Hurricane Tour 16 Plus XCel 16G Strings. I read the most reviews on those strings and found that there aren't half bad (the "pros" of those strings were better than the ones i would have chose) and was twelve dollars cheaper, i was sold!! I've never tried hybrid strings before, so im hoping all goes well. I made sure that the tension would be set lower than usual so i got more use out of them.  I hope i made the right decision!!

Fingers Crossed!

-- Will

Tennis4you:
When do you get the racquet back to test the new strings?  What tension did you have it strung at?

ShadedOne:
I got my racket back today, will most likely test it within the next two days. I got it strung with 45 lbs tension

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version