Author Topic: Will's Tennis Journal  (Read 3903 times)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Re: Will's Tennis Journal
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2010, 03:49:24 PM »
What book was it yo?
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline ShadedOne

• Tennis Player
  • Tennis Player
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2010, 05:07:12 AM »
What book was it yo?

'The Inner Game of Tennis: The Classic Guide to the Mental Side of Peak Performance' by W. Timothy Gallwey

Offline ShadedOne

• Tennis Player
  • Tennis Player
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2010, 02:14:10 PM »
It probably took me 15 years or so to get my serve to do what I want to do and much patience as well as lots of practice was needed. I rarely double fault now and can place the ball where I wish.

Congratulations. That's great!  :))

It took me a lot longer  :(

Thank you! :)

Im still double faulting more than i'd like, so there is still more work to be done. You're hard work has paid off, im sure you have a FANTASTIC serve. That is what i'd like to achieve.

No, it's more that I don't like to double fault but against some players  :scared: you just have to take the risk.

I agree with you. there is not much that is more satisfying than hitting a second serve ace. :rofl_2:

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2010, 05:53:21 PM »
Wow, I read that book back in high school, great book!
Scott Baker

Offline ShadedOne

• Tennis Player
  • Tennis Player
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2011, 08:46:19 PM »
Wow, I read that book back in high school, great book!

It is a great piece of literature! so glad i stumbled upon it!

Offline ShadedOne

• Tennis Player
  • Tennis Player
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2011, 12:17:15 AM »
:January 7, 2011:

My class got cut to only two days a week instead of four. :( At first it was a bit disappointing, but later realized that im happy just to be playing at all. I've met several nice people, which is a nice change! I'm starting to enjoy this class more than my previous one.

Thursday, i won my first singles match during class and it felt really good. my opponent had a MASSIVE serve and great movement, he was really good... fortunately, i was a bit better. I find that i favor either the kick or slice serve and i used that to my advantage. I also used my great net play to break him a few times, everything came together quite nicely for me.

Im still learning that regression is all a part of PROgression and to not get upset everytime i dont play my best. It's STILL the mental aspect of the game that im working on. Once i've mastered it fully(as well as practice), my game will be where i want it.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2011, 07:55:38 AM »
Do you have the option to play more than 2 days a week if you want?
Scott Baker

Offline ShadedOne

• Tennis Player
  • Tennis Player
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2011, 11:31:15 AM »

Do you have the option to play more than 2 days a week if you want?
Yes, if i were to find someone to hit with, which is difficult where i live. A few times ive settled for hitting against a wall and practicing my serve.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2011, 11:37:15 AM »
Hitting against a wall is good stuff and should never be underestimated. 
Scott Baker

Offline ShadedOne

• Tennis Player
  • Tennis Player
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2011, 12:08:54 AM »
Hitting against a wall is good stuff and should never be underestimated. 

I agree, I'm just more motivated when i play with someone else.

Offline ShadedOne

• Tennis Player
  • Tennis Player
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2011, 12:19:00 AM »
:January 17, 2011:

Was sick with the flu all last week, which didnt serve my playing too well (Yes, i played with the flu). I'm finally better and ready to hit the courts once again. Having some nice weather for mid-January (high 70's-Low 80's F.) which is a nice change from the 40's and 50's from a week ago.

Im going to start using a more flat serve in my arsenal. After reviewing my current serve style, i've found that though i am proficient with the slice serve, a more flat serve will give my game more dimension and less monotony. With practice, i'll be able to generate the same power (if not more) with the new "flat" method.

I'm hoping to find someone in my area to play with an extra few days a week. Now that i've improved, im sure i will have less of an issue finding someone (I have a serve now for cryin' out loud! lol). Fingers crossed! :)

Offline ShadedOne

• Tennis Player
  • Tennis Player
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2011, 08:57:53 PM »
:February 4, 2011:
[/b]

It has been a long three weeks filled with a large amount of tennis!

I've been going to my 4 hr. tennis class twice a week, and i hit the courts for leisure at least once a week. I have a new found respect for hitting against a wall. Within doing it an hour i found my strokes improving. Hitting with rude, arrogant people is totally overrated i prefer a wall over them any day.

My serve is more consistent now and it all comes from relaxing (even when im down in the game). I tend to play slower in tight matches so that i dont hit too many errors and find the my shot making becomes more efficient and i find some AWESOME angles. :) Ground strokes are becoming stronger and consistent as well.

I'm very pleased with my progress for only playing tennis 7 months (now). It's worth all of the pain, aches, and sprains i've encountered. I believe that everything happens for a reason, and there's a reason why i started playing tennis at age 23.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2011, 02:35:13 PM »
It's good to hear you are seeing improvement!  I am always excited to hear people are improving.  Nothing pumps me up more than to hear people excited about their game!!!
Scott Baker

Offline ShadedOne

• Tennis Player
  • Tennis Player
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2011, 04:12:35 AM »
It's good to hear you are seeing improvement!  I am always excited to hear people are improving.  Nothing pumps me up more than to hear people excited about their game!!!

Thanks! It's such a great feeling. The temporary regression is difficult to deal with when it happens though. I always have to remind myself that after this small stint of "bad luck", i'm going to be better than i was before.

Getting inspired by things outside of the court has helped me also.