Author Topic: ATP- Australian Open- Melbourne- Grand Slam- Jan 17th-30th 2011  (Read 40395 times)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Re: ATP- Australian Open- Melbourne- Grand Slam- Jan 17th-30th 2011
« Reply #240 on: January 18, 2011, 09:07:59 AM »
Pumped for you that you are down there and got to see all of that!!!  Jealous!!!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline garion

• Tennis God
  • Vamos!!!
« Reply #241 on: January 18, 2011, 10:42:08 AM »
Nalbandian hosed on yet another call that he loses the point on.  He was in full command on both points and ends up losing them both on bad calls.  Complete bs.  I hope he can keep it together mentally after that.  at 6-6 and 6-7 the last thing you need is bad calls going against you when you are in command of points.

I thought he received a couple of bad ones that skewed the scoring.

But most of all I now know what it is like to be in a highly nationalistic crowd at a tennis tournament, 1 am in a 5 set match, no tiebreak. Now I know.  :insane:

More in the morning if I remember but I'll say right now that I think Nalbandian played the better tennis.

:ZZZZZ)
I saw sets 4 and 5. And thought Nalby played better and by the stats he should've closed out Hewitt earlier. But I think nerves got in the way. And Hewitt was hitting and running really well. He got to shots I didn't think he'd get to and made shots I didn't think he'd be able to make... like Djoko and Clijsters does, where they slide into a semi-split and hit down the line.

Nalby did get screwed on 2 calls in the 5th. One counted more, I think it was either deuce or adv Hewitt. The other one is was the 1st point on his serve, so not a huge deal.

I'm surprised how fit Nalby is because with that belly he doesn't look like he could run around for 4+ hours. But he did. He did seem to be cramping a little in the beginning and ending of the 5th. Neither called for a trainer tho, thruout the match.

Offline NadalGrafboy

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #242 on: January 18, 2011, 10:55:45 AM »
Good fight and win for Nalbandian but I doubt he will have much left.  Berankis will probably take him out next round, and if not almost for sure Ferrer (who killed him in a final this past weekend) in the 3rd round.

On another note Donald Young got blasted off the court by Cilic 6-3, 6-2, 6-1.

Offline TheEternalCowboy

• Tennis God
« Reply #243 on: January 18, 2011, 10:56:33 AM »
I saw sets 4 and 5. And thought Nalby played better and by the stats he should've closed out Hewitt earlier. But I think nerves got in the way. And Hewitt was hitting and running really well. He got to shots I didn't think he'd get to and made shots I didn't think he'd be able to make... like Djoko and Clijsters does, where they slide into a semi-split and hit down the line.

Nalby did get screwed on 2 calls in the 5th. One counted more, I think it was either deuce or adv Hewitt. The other one is was the 1st point on his serve, so not a huge deal.

I'm surprised how fit Nalby is because with that belly he doesn't look like he could run around for 4+ hours. But he did. He did seem to be cramping a little in the beginning and ending of the 5th. Neither called for a trainer tho, thruout the match.

Nalby has never legitimately looked fat to me.  Can anyone provide pictures to convince me otherwise? 

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #244 on: January 18, 2011, 12:02:50 PM »
One thing I learned from round 1:  I don't EVER want anyone to put Ernest in the 'elite' up-and-comer category!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  He has to prove he belongs there first. :innocent:

Online FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #245 on: January 18, 2011, 12:27:59 PM »
Nalby has never legitimately looked fat to me.  Can anyone provide pictures to convince me otherwise?

FIT Dave. I will not notice the burger belly for the duration of THIS tournament!  :gleam:
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #246 on: January 18, 2011, 12:45:17 PM »

I wouldn't call him 'fat', but more like ...maybe carrying around more than he should? :innocent:  (But to his credit, he looks better in shape now at the AO than he did before)

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #247 on: January 18, 2011, 12:52:36 PM »
Woke up in time to catch the 5th set. PMac and the boys said it was the best tennis of the entire match. It was sensational. Was a big Nalby fan going in but came out feeling bad for whoever was going to lose.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #248 on: January 18, 2011, 01:05:39 PM »
Woke up in time to catch the 5th set. PMac and the boys said it was the best tennis of the entire match. It was sensational. Was a big Nalby fan going in but came out feeling bad for whoever was going to lose.

Hewitt had Multiple match points too.  I mean, it was sad that they had to play each other in ROUND 1 when you had other round 1 match-ups like: Flavio Cipolla vs Benoit Paire or Richard Berantis vs Marinko Matosevic, or  Rui Machado vs Santiago Giraldo... Nothing wrong with these players...just saying....

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #249 on: January 18, 2011, 01:16:27 PM »
I was able to see first 2 sets (It was almost 3AM in Calgary, I had to go to bed) and I'm just watching the rest of the match. This is why I love tennis so much - awesome match. Kudos to both of them  :applause:.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #250 on: January 18, 2011, 01:30:17 PM »
Dimitrov school no. 36 Andrey Golubev.

http://blogs.tennis.com/thewrap/2011/01/a-grigor-dimitrov-moment.html

I have watched him play and I sure hope he can step up to the plate cuz once Fed's done, I think I have found myself a new player.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #251 on: January 18, 2011, 01:38:11 PM »

I'm sure you can find them, can't be much more difficult than finding pictures of Taylor Dent's gut. I had a brush with his belly in 2008 when I was sitting a few yards from his chair. During every change over, he wiped the sweat off his belly. :laugh-bounce: I've never seen anyone wipe their belly before. He did it every time. I apparently deleted the picture I took because a still didn't look very absurd.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline garion

• Tennis God
  • Vamos!!!
« Reply #252 on: January 18, 2011, 01:49:07 PM »

I'm sure you can find them, can't be much more difficult than finding pictures of Taylor Dent's gut. I had a brush with his belly in 2008 when I was sitting a few yards from his chair. During every change over, he wiped the sweat off his belly. :laugh-bounce: I've never seen anyone wipe their belly before. He did it every time. I apparently deleted the picture I took because a still didn't look very absurd.
:rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: Shut up!!! That can't be true. Wiping the sweat off his belly.  :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #253 on: January 18, 2011, 02:46:00 PM »
Guess I should start with the end of yesterday (this morning at 1am).  The Hewitt-Nalbandian  clash was a  memorable one, moving one way and the other to a gripping close 4 hours or so later. From watching Nalby as he moved through the ranks at the Legg Mason last year I learned two things. 1) He is slow warming up and often loses the first set. 2) He is a master of the unexpected drop shot. Both of these things happened last night. The big additional factor is that Hewitt is such a good fighter and never gives up. We saw this too. It was a very tight match but one could not help but feel that Federer in current form would have taken either out in half the time but then we would not have had all that entertainment. It has always seemed to me that Hewitt only wins when he is serving really well. He did part of the time last night but not enough. Having said that, his game is a lot more interesting than say Roddick’s. The crowd, as said earlier got more and more noisy as the match came to an end. Nalbandian would drop a point, and Australian flags appeared from everywhere.  If Hewitt had won, it would have been literally deafening. Hewitt certainly had his chances. In the 4th set, he must have squandered 7 or 8 break points with rather awkward flubs. Same could be said for the second set.
Earlier on, the first match should be remembered not for Safina’s double bagel but for Clijster’s complete competence  and efficiency in what she was doing. She is going to go far this time again.
Earlier in the day I missed the Rafa non event to go to show court 2 to check up on Cilic, Donald Young, and Del Potro.  I almost alone don’t think Young did all that badly against Cilic. I saw a lot worse in Cincy. That said, Cilic was not very good either. Cilic won mostly because of his superior serve but their ground games were more or less the same.  Only a small group of Croats was present and they were basically cheerful.  As well a droning on in their own language, from time to time they provided what might have been a translation for the locals along the lines of “Hello people come to cheer; let us now that you are here".
For the following match, the Argentinian cheer squad was pretty well silenced by the extremely loud and to me very unpleasant Israeli crowd. For me it bordered on the offensive. I had to keep telling myself that Dudi Sela is probably a really nice guy but with unfortunate friends. But the real news is that Del Potro is back, winning a fairly tough 4 setter. The serve, high toss and all, is back with all its former force but the former devastating forehand is not. In the old days, it was fatal to get into a baseline rally with  Del P. This time, the rallies would go on and on and would usually be won by Sela.  But, it is great to see JMDP back on the court again.
While watching the above, I got talking to a lady who told me how happy she was that two of her children were ball kids at the tournament. I learned a lot about how they have been training for the last 6 months and that there is a lot of work in ferrying them around. A hierarchy is established with the good ones ending up on center court and the less than good sent to the outer courts. They are constantly being evaluated. Her son, who was on center court the previous night, lost points once for holding a ball up for the player when the game was finished. She said that the kids ranked the players too. Djokovic was right at the top. He apparently always offers thanks and a smile for the offered towel. Roddick is down in the pits in their opinion. To my surprise, James Blake is way up there with Nole in practicing courtesy to those at hand. He’s made me cross with some of his public statements in the past but apparently more privately he is a really good guy.

For today, I will skip Roddick-Kusnitsyn. I’ve seen them play before in Washington. Kusnitsyn has a very defensive game and will probably be blown off court by the Roddick serve. Not much chance for Gilles Simon against Federer tonight but I will go to that as I like watching both. On the smaller courts, I am going to try and catch Berdych-Kohlschreiber and Wawrinka-Dimitrov. For now, however, a relaxing morning is called for!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 02:49:20 PM by euroka1 »

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #254 on: January 18, 2011, 03:05:46 PM »
Not much of a chance for Simon?  The H2H is 2-0 Simon so he IS a dangerous player for Roger.  I'm concerned.  I just hope Roger gets this one but it's something about this match-up that makes me nervous.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #255 on: January 18, 2011, 03:24:41 PM »
I'll probably have to miss the Fed match or try to watch it with one eye open.
I'm already dog tired and it's just the first round.

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #256 on: January 18, 2011, 03:39:58 PM »
Not much of a chance for Simon? er The H2H is 2-0 Simon so he IS a dangerous player for Rog.  I'm concerned.  I just hope Roger gets this one but it's something about this match-up that makes me nervous.
yup, Fed is done  :rofl_2:. This is going to be just too easy for Simon  :)~. Rog should retire  :ice cream:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 03:40:54 PM by Alex »

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #257 on: January 18, 2011, 03:52:31 PM »
Not much of a chance for Simon? er The H2H is 2-0 Simon so he IS a dangerous player for Rog.  I'm concerned.  I just hope Roger gets this one but it's something about this match-up that makes me nervous.
yup, Fed is done  :rofl_2:. This is going to be just too easy for Simon  :)~. Rog should retire  :ice cream:

I'm just stating the facts.  I would feel a lot comfortable against someone who Roger has beaten before than against someone he has never beaten.

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #258 on: January 18, 2011, 04:09:53 PM »

I'm just stating the facts.  I would feel a lot comfortable against someone who Roger has beaten before than against someone he has never beaten.
I watched Simon vs. Troicki last week. Victor lost because he was a head case, Simon was pathetic too ... Simon has 2 fluke wins (back in 2008 I think) against Roger when Roger was losing to everybody at that time. Based on their current forms Roger will destroy Simon in 3 easy sets.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #259 on: January 18, 2011, 04:31:59 PM »
 ..-) ..-) ..-)
Really?

Simon has no major weapons, but if an opponent is having an off day, Gilles' consistency can be the undoing.

NEVER underestimate your opponent.
CONK da ball!!!