Author Topic: Djokovic poses threat for No.1?  (Read 5114 times)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Re: Djokovic poses threat for No.1?
« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2011, 02:02:22 PM »
I'll take Nadal against anyone in a best-of-five slam final on clay.

The problem is that Nadal can't pick up any points at the French while Novak can...and they are very close in point standings.  He seem very confident (Djokovic)...so it may not matter if it's best of five (that is, unless it's 100 degrees in the sun :gleam:)...THEN there is no doubt I'd take Nadal! :rofl_2:

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #81 on: May 16, 2011, 02:59:59 PM »

The problem is that Nadal can't pick up any points at the French while Novak can...and they are very close in point standings.  He seem very confident (Djokovic)...so it may not matter if it's best of five (that is, unless it's 100 degrees in the sun :gleam:)...THEN there is no doubt I'd take Nadal! :rofl_2:
True Dat!
Nole is flying high at the moment, but we all know it won't last forever.  When and how he starts to descend may well determine when he takes over the #1 spot.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline vsty

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #82 on: May 16, 2011, 03:07:25 PM »

The problem for Rafa now is that he has no control over losing the no.1 ranking to Novak as Novak reaching the final at RG will ensure him becoming no.1 atleast until Wimbledon where he has to defend SF points & Rafa the defending Champ. Overall it looks pretty rosy for Novak as Rafa has to defend 3 slams over a period of next 4 months & Novak has almost 4000 less points to defend in those slams!! So even if Rafa defend all those points which is a very tall order even under normal circumstances & even less likely with how well Novak is playing. So even if Novak makes 2 Semis & 1 final at next 3 slams & Rafa wins it all Nole will be more than likely to finish as year end no.1 !! Kudos to Novak for such strong play within 1st 4 months  :thumbs-up:

Offline Barreto101

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #83 on: May 16, 2011, 04:55:46 PM »

The problem for Rafa now is that he has no control over losing the no.1 ranking to Novak as Novak reaching the final at RG will ensure him becoming no.1 atleast until Wimbledon where he has to defend SF points & Rafa the defending Champ. Overall it looks pretty rosy for Novak as Rafa has to defend 3 slams over a period of next 4 months & Novak has almost 4000 less points to defend in those slams!! So even if Rafa defend all those points which is a very tall order even under normal circumstances & even less likely with how well Novak is playing. So even if Novak makes 2 Semis & 1 final at next 3 slams & Rafa wins it all Nole will be more than likely to finish as year end no.1 !! Kudos to Novak for such strong play within 1st 4 months  :thumbs-up:

My exact thoughts, Nadal doesn't have points to gain, but points to lose, could you imagine if what happened in 09 at RG were to happen again (god forbid) it's Djokovic's No.1 spot to take at this time in my eyes.

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #84 on: May 16, 2011, 06:11:11 PM »
There is no way Djokovic wont be #1 now.   He only has to make finals and semis of French and Wimbledon to be #1 after French and through Wimbledon, even if Nadal won both.  No way he doesnt do that atleast.   And I would be very surprised if Djokovic doesnt win the U.S Open this year so he will probably pull way ahead of Nadal by then, even if Nadal somehow did the French-
Wimbledon double.

Offline garion

• Tennis God
  • Vamos!!!
« Reply #85 on: May 16, 2011, 11:57:07 PM »

I think Nadal admitted this himself in the last tourney. That it was a matter of time when Djoko took over no.1 and he wasn't happy about it but he realizes that it happened and he just has to find a way to beat Djoko.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #86 on: May 18, 2011, 03:57:14 PM »

I think Nadal admitted this himself in the last tourney. That it was a matter of time when Djoko took over no.1 and he wasn't happy about it but he realizes that it happened and he just has to find a way to beat Djoko.

Yea. Actually, Nadal said Djokoic is #1 this year.  Which is true.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #87 on: May 18, 2011, 10:33:38 PM »

Yea. Actually, Nadal said Djokoic is #1 this year.  Which is true.

Classic! Classic! Classic Fedfan myopia.  :rofl_2:

Roger is #1 because the rankings say so BUT this does not apply to Rafa.

I didn't even have to start the thread to snare anyone (which I was going to do) :rofl_2: :rofl_2:
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #88 on: May 18, 2011, 10:51:31 PM »
I never got so into the weeds over determining the exact moment someone will become #1. There's only one time every year that it matters. YE (period)
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #89 on: May 18, 2011, 10:59:26 PM »
Most pros would trade a full year @ #1 for a single slam.
Aside from seeding it's basically irrelevant.

Sort of like being the winningest team in (your sport here) for the year and not winning the championship.  Completely f**king worthless.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #90 on: May 19, 2011, 08:41:48 AM »
There is no way Djokovic wont be #1 now.   He only has to make finals and semis of French and Wimbledon to be #1 after French and through Wimbledon, even if Nadal won both.  No way he doesnt do that atleast.   And I would be very surprised if Djokovic doesnt win the U.S Open this year so he will probably pull way ahead of Nadal by then, even if Nadal somehow did the French-
Wimbledon double.

one can't be overconfident at the same time.........all it takes is a defeat for djokovic before the semifinals for nadal to put the foot firm and deny djokovic the top ranking and what a tragedy for him and his fans that would be.........

i personally think he deserves to kiss the no.1 ranking at least once this year but we also need to be aware of other possibilities.........

1. physical and mental fatigue must kick in at one point or another in the first week of FO.........all it takes for him to tumble all at once is to just reflect once upon what he actually accomplished this year........until now, he might not even have had time to think of it all.........

2. remember that this is the most important tournament in djokovic's career so far.........one step wrong at this point after all the hardwork in the world, his dream will be shattered.........so that's pressure, some pressure.........

3.  wimbledon is perhaps his weakest surface........we simply cannot be sure that he will make the finals which he might have to do to get that top spot........

so overall i think it might not be a given at........   
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 08:43:45 AM by Start da Game »
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #91 on: May 19, 2011, 10:01:21 PM »
My friend mentioned Nole's gluten-free diet, and I asked her, "What's that?" She didn't know either, so I looked it up, and it sounds to me like it has everything to do with his improved stamina.

Apparently, gluten is in wheat and oats and is a food additive.

A gluten-free diet...(treats) wheat allergy. Additionally, a gluten-free diet may exclude oats. Medical practitioners are divided on whether oats are an allergen...or if they are cross-contaminated in milling facilities by other allergens.

So it sounds like all of Nole's huffing and puffing and passing out routine was, as we suspected, allergy induced. The gluten-free diet appears to be working wonders.

So everyone who has said he gives up when he's behind can eat gluten.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #92 on: May 19, 2011, 10:06:33 PM »
The increased stamina has given him rock solid confidence.  A deadly combo for someone at the top of the game.

I bet he feels like a little kid with a new toy! :king:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #93 on: May 24, 2011, 06:38:23 AM »
My friend mentioned Nole's gluten-free diet, and I asked her, "What's that?" She didn't know either, so I looked it up, and it sounds to me like it has everything to do with his improved stamina.

A gluten-free diet...(treats) wheat allergy. Additionally, a gluten-free diet may exclude oats. Medical practitioners are divided on whether oats are an allergen...or if they are cross-contaminated in milling facilities by other allergens.

So it sounds like all of Nole's huffing and puffing and passing out routine was, as we suspected, allergy induced. The gluten-free diet appears to be working wonders.

Some will get dramatic results with changing a diet if there were allergies.
Who knows what Nole could have done if this problem was found out years ago.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #94 on: May 31, 2011, 04:57:36 PM »
Djokovic i think will be no1 after RG,i don't think roger will beat him next,but you can never wright roger off.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #95 on: May 31, 2011, 09:47:41 PM »

Some will get dramatic results with changing a diet if there were allergies.
Who knows what Nole could have done if this problem was found out years ago.
Fed & Nadal don't want to give that even a passing thought....
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Barreto101

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #96 on: June 06, 2011, 11:00:29 PM »
Well with Fed being the one to end the amazing run of Djokovic in RG, how do you see things going for Djokovic now, you think he can play even more loose because there is no more streak, or needing some time to reflect on just what happened.  With Wimbledon just around the corner how do you see Djokovic or even Nadal doing during the championships?  Nadal does have to defend the title and Djokovic has to make the SF so there are points to be lost and gained in Djokovics way.  Also if Djokovic is on Murrays side do you see him going to the finals if they both make it there? Or if Djokovic is on Federers side do you see Federer giving Djokovic his only two losses of the year?  ( If they all make it to the points that I just said.)  Love too hear all your thoughts and opinions  :)

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2011, 02:06:46 AM »

When he become New No.1 will depend on draw of this year Wimbledon, if Djokovic and Federer are in same half section. It will quite difficult for him to become No.1 after Wimbledon because he make semi-final last year. That means he has to beat Federer, but Federer boost his confident after remarkable victory at RG. Of course, it depend on how well they play in the match. So first thing, we consider can they make semi-final again.

However, I don't how they make the draw.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #98 on: June 07, 2011, 04:39:26 AM »
Wimbledon double.

one can't be overconfident at the same time.........all it takes is a defeat for djokovic before the semifinals for nadal to put the foot firm and deny djokovic the top ranking and what a tragedy for him and his fans that would be.........

i personally think he deserves to kiss the no.1 ranking at least once this year but we also need to be aware of other possibilities.........

1. physical and mental fatigue must kick in at one point or another in the first week of FO.........all it takes for him to tumble all at once is to just reflect once upon what he actually accomplished this year........until now, he might not even have had time to think of it all.........

2. remember that this is the most important tournament in djokovic's career so far.........one step wrong at this point after all the hardwork in the world, his dream will be shattered.........so that's pressure, some pressure.........

3.  wimbledon is perhaps his weakest surface........we simply cannot be sure that he will make the finals which he might have to do to get that top spot........

so overall i think it might not be a given at........

it looks like djokovic succumbed to all that pressure........i thought this could happen before the quarters but that 5 day break had him thinking too much about the tournament and history and threw him off rhythm.......

for a player who's had such a tiring streak, i don't expect him to do well at wimbledon........he won't be focused enough for wimbledon........watch him lose early if it's a tough draw........he needs some time off........
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 04:40:42 AM by Start da Game »
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline hercules

• Tennis God
« Reply #99 on: June 07, 2011, 06:31:18 PM »
vamos general shankar.

good to see you general.
PRAY FOR DEATH