Author Topic: Tennis Phillosophy  (Read 948 times)

Offline casper11

• New Poster
Tennis Phillosophy
« on: May 12, 2011, 08:14:27 AM »
I'm doing a paper on tennis philosophy and could use any suggestions or point of views about different perspectives; that is, in implicating if one were to be a tennis coach.

thank you-

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
Re: Tennis Phillosophy
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 02:08:04 AM »
On a serious note - get the book "Winning Ugly" by Brad Gilbert. 

Richard Williams does not get any credit for developing Serena and Venus.  Between the two sisters, they have like over 30 Grand Slams wins in both doubles, singles.  He was not invited to the USTA coaches get together in all the years that it was held.  I guess, they do not like his phillisophy on training to win; which is to not play to many matches when you are young and develop them graduately.  That is the opposite of Donald Young's parent phillisophy of having Donald play like it is his career - play a lot of matches early.  Donald has yet to win a Grand Slam but has trouble getting into the main draw of a Grand Slam.   By the way; USTA has invited Donald Young to the USTA for coaching assistance.  None of the William Sister has every been invited.  But of course; they win a good pecentage of tournaments and really do not need any help with their tennis game.  After all; they are both the one and two in the U.S. ranking of women tennis players for over 13? years straight!  Plus, I do not believe they would listen to anything the USTA has to say about their game.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 02:11:34 AM by HarryWild »

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
Re: Tennis Phillosophy
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 04:23:35 AM »
That's a broad topic.
The level and goals of the player determine the type of coach required. 
CONK da ball!!!