Author Topic: Rafa's game plan against Djokovic  (Read 13339 times)

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
Re: Rafa's game plan against Djokovic
« Reply #160 on: July 04, 2011, 01:47:02 AM »
Some features determine who is winners (Sorry bad drawing, I don't know how to use computer drawing software).

1. Good Return
Many of Djokovic's return drop in the middle of the court with good deep. Nadal always has tourble with this return. No time for him to set up and it force him to hit short ball. Also, this reutrn does not give Nadal any angel. Djokovic return well , especially second serve. He see the chance and go for winner.

2. Baseline rally
It is very interesting to see how Djokovic deliver the ball on the court. He deliver the ball to Nadal's backhand and move Nadal to right concorn, and wait for right moment for the forehand down the line. For most time, Nadal is chasing that forehand down the line. If Nadal can get the ball and make the shot. No worry, Djokovic has backhand down the line. Then Nadal chase the ball again. In entire match, Djokovic do it again and again, move Nadal away baseline rally. Also, Djokovic does not make big shot. It is his routine groundstroke shot.

If Nadal still can get ball back, then cross court backhand and use the same tactic again.

3. Slice serve
Djokovic serve some slice serve to Nadal's backhand which very effective. Gain short return and make volley to other direction which alway move away. However, sometime he choose wrong direction cause himself by passing shot.

My consideration is it is all about good return to set up point. Because these good reuturns allow Djokovic from start to the end in many point by using this tactic. So I said that Nadal has to keep his 1st serve percentage high to get short return and cheap point. The poor 2nd serve win percentage prove my theory. 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 01:59:56 AM by williamchung7 »

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #161 on: July 04, 2011, 02:27:07 AM »
One thing still unsolve, Nadal's movement.....
No running forehand down the line from Nadal.....it occur onece I remember.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #162 on: August 02, 2011, 06:59:34 AM »
i know the answer, nadal and uncle toni too.......
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #163 on: August 03, 2011, 11:30:58 AM »

That's because Nole doesn't allow Nadal to be in that position. One of his main strategies is to keep Nadal off balance throughout the match and ulitmately break that forehand down of his, which is Nadal's most powerful weapon. Once you are successful, it automatically puts pressure on his rest of the game as well as his mental game. And the way to do it, is to keep Nadal off balance at all time. So Nole will never give him a ball where Nadal has plenty of time to set up his down the line forehand or forehand in general. Nadal has to moonball at that point to get himself back to in a more comfortable position. Nole does it consistently well and quite subtly. The results speak volume. In order to produce my best shots, I'll have to be in those positions too, no?
You are everything I am not.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #164 on: August 03, 2011, 12:20:21 PM »
that off balance issue is mainly because nadal is not comfortable with the backhand.......he's always looking to run around and take i ton forehand........that's what robbing him of time against djokovic.......do you see djokovic running around his backhand? no, very rarely.......

it's like one shot against two shots out there.......all nadal needs to do is find that deep cross court backhand again........he doesn't even need to go for wicked angles or too much power.......just deep and consistent backhands.......that will neutralize 70% of what djokovic is executing at the moment and nadal's ever reliable great forehand will takeover from there........that is how he tackled djokovic in the previous years.......

Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #165 on: August 03, 2011, 06:52:48 PM »
What is impressive in all this is how Djokovic now (and Davydenko previously), managed to out-manoeuvre Nadal.. The fact that Djokovic can finish a point on the backhand or forehand must be a serious plus. Still, Rafa is alright and can expect to beat Novak in the future.. Nole's form is just uncommonly good at the moment..

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #166 on: August 03, 2011, 06:55:15 PM »

That's because Nole doesn't allow Nadal to be in that position. One of his main strategies is to keep Nadal off balance throughout the match and ulitmately break that forehand down of his, which is Nadal's most powerful weapon. Once you are successful, it automatically puts pressure on his rest of the game as well as his mental game. And the way to do it, is to keep Nadal off balance at all time. So Nole will never give him a ball where Nadal has plenty of time to set up his down the line forehand or forehand in general. Nadal has to moonball at that point to get himself back to in a more comfortable position. Nole does it consistently well and quite subtly. The results speak volume. In order to produce my best shots, I'll have to be in those positions too, no?
well said. Emma I'm so impressed with you lately  :)).

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #167 on: August 03, 2011, 08:06:26 PM »

Lately? LATELY??? Liar.

Well anyway, enjoy it while it lasts. I will be in a different mood next week and you will go back to hating me...again.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #168 on: August 03, 2011, 08:19:15 PM »

Lately? LATELY??? Liar.

Well anyway, enjoy it while it lasts. I will be in a different mood next week and you will go back to hating me...again.
nothing lasts. However, I want to be politically correct  :)). What should I be enjoin while it lasts? Here is my advice for you ... you just enjoy it, like NOW. (one day at a time) that's what my psychiatrist  said to me  :)~

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #169 on: August 03, 2011, 09:55:01 PM »

What I find is that to off balance Nadal, you can have three ways to do it.

1. Attack Nadal's serve which I find Nalbandian do very well to beat he couple of times. Every groundstroke start here!

2. Keep attack Nadal's backhand side and move him to his right handside, then see the chance to play down the line shot to his left hand side. That is clear tactic which Davydenko, Djokovic and Nalbandian who have performed during their matches.

3. Players who have really good backhand can use their backhand to out play Nadal's forehand. Again, Davydenko, Djokovic and Nalbandian prove that.  Because they have good backhand, they able to keep changing the direction and changing their pace of their shot by using normal groundstroke. Not like Federer has to use slice allow Nadal to set up.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 04:43:57 AM by williamchung7 »

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #170 on: August 03, 2011, 10:22:36 PM »

Lately? LATELY??? Liar.

How can I hate you? I love you so much. My love will not go away  :). Uhm, this love thing is so complicated  :)) :))

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #171 on: August 04, 2011, 03:57:42 AM »

What I find is that to off balance Nadal, you can have three ways to do it.

1. Attack Nadal's serve which I find Nalbandian do very well to beat him couple of times. Every groundstroke start here!

2. Keep attack Nadal's backhand side and move him to his right handside, then see the chance to play down the line shot to left hand side. That is clear tactic which Davydenko, Djokovic and Nalbandian who have performed during their matches.

3. Players who have really good backhand can use their backhand to out play Nadal's forehand. Again, Davydenko, Djokovic and Nalbandian prove that.  Because they have good backhand, they able to keep changing the direction of their shot by using normal groundstroke. Not like Federer has to use slice allow Nadal to set up.

Totally agree. The key is to attack him and seize the momentum. Let Rafael dominate on the court and he will kill the opponent, every time..

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #172 on: August 05, 2011, 08:04:16 AM »
Quick play Djokovic. Speed up the tempo when Nole is gassed and don't let him catch his breath.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #173 on: August 05, 2011, 12:10:26 PM »
It's not happening. Sorry but Novak is moving better than Nadal. I hate to be so brutally honest as I do love Rafa and his fans here but .... there is not much Rafa could do

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #174 on: August 05, 2011, 12:44:07 PM »
Quick play Djokovic. Speed up the tempo when Nole is gassed and don't let him catch his breath.

winning the toss and serving first will do no harm either.......

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #175 on: August 05, 2011, 06:37:29 PM »
It's not happening. Sorry but Novak is moving better than Nadal. I hate to be so brutally honest as I do love Rafa and his fans here but .... there is not much Rafa could do
Not too sure Rafa is capable and willing to play a high-tempo tennis match.. His deliberate nature somehow precludes it. Nevertheless, in the relative cool of North America, with the comparatively faster hard courts, even Rafa will pick up the pace of play??  :confused1:

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #176 on: August 05, 2011, 08:15:05 PM »
Not too sure Rafa is capable and willing to play a high-tempo tennis match.. His deliberate nature somehow precludes it. Nevertheless, in the relative cool of North America, with the comparatively faster hard courts, even Rafa will pick up the pace of play??  :confused1:

Well, Montreal may be cool. :dunno:  Cincy will be brutal!

It is interesting that the top players have recently reduced the US HC season to 3 tourneys. Wasn't too long ago that Pete and Andre were winning LA and Washington, too. So much for the US Open Series challenge.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #177 on: August 06, 2011, 02:06:21 PM »
The only time Rafa plays fast is when he's losing badly and completely rattled.

I think I've seen it happen twice.
He actually played 2 complete service games without once going over the 20 sec. time limit! :yikes: :-o :yikes:   Yes, shocking, I know.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #178 on: August 07, 2011, 11:29:32 AM »
I think that ^^^^ happens when he's very sure he's going to lose the match regardless and can't wait to get off the court.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #179 on: August 07, 2011, 12:12:01 PM »

nadal is just a great hardcourter these days........just ignore the rambling about the time taking.......they fail to realize that if every point was monitored and the time violation rule was enforced every time the clock ticks over 20 seconds, half the players on the tour would retire mid way in the matches with respiratory issues........they just don't understand the requirements of the modern day sport.......