Author Topic: Rafa's game plan against Djokovic  (Read 16113 times)

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
Re: Rafa's game plan against Djokovic
« Reply #200 on: January 30, 2012, 07:23:52 PM »

Now that the Australian Open is complete, I wonder what you guys think of Rafa's tactics against Djoker.

I thought Rafa played more aggressive on the forehand side than before.

Also, he tried to stay away from the usual Forehand to Djokers Backhand rallies.

Tried to short slice on to Djokovics backhand sometimes.

Even though, he lost I thought he played much better tactically.
1.  More aggressive FH?  Yes!
2.  Avoid the rally shot FH to Nole BH?  Yes!!!
3.  Short slice to Nole BH?  I missed it. :Confused:
4.  Take more risks on serve (1st and 2nd) and return?  Yes!!!

Improved strategy and tactics against Nole?  Finally!!!

Sounds like you and I watched the same final! ;-() :))
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 07:24:29 PM by monstertruck »
CONK da ball!!!

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #201 on: January 30, 2012, 08:50:48 PM »
If Djokovic is on his game; Nadal will be defeated!  Djokovic game is to good for Nadal's current skill level and tactics.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #202 on: January 30, 2012, 11:52:29 PM »
I really love both players. Sure I'm a Nole fan (as everyone knows :)). It  is going to be very hard for Nadal. The game is so psychical, it's scary. Nole seems to be a monster right now. I do wanna say one thing... everything works for Novak right now, but I miss his aggressive tennis 07/08. Sure, I'm happy he is winning everything... it's just when I watch his old matches he was so amazing. lots  of people here don't realize it. I just love that aggressiveness in a player.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #203 on: January 31, 2012, 12:18:54 AM »
I really love both players. Sure I'm a Nole fan (as everyone knows :)). It  is going to be very hard for Nadal. The game is so psychical, it's scary. Nole seems to be a monster right now. I do wanna say one thing... everything works for Novak right now, but I miss his aggressive tennis 07/08. Sure, I'm happy he is winning everything... it's just when I watch his old matches he was so amazing. lots  of people here don't realize it. I just love that aggressiveness in a player.

Oh I remember Novak in 07-08, he was exciting but hardly ever beat Nadal.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Richard Miller

• Tennis Player
« Reply #204 on: January 31, 2012, 01:34:08 AM »

With such game you can win against anyone, but more likely than not, you'll lose against anyone. Probably something like Tsonga: when he's on he seems unstoppable, but when he's not, he's barely a top 20 player. :) The only thing really to miss is the first serve I think... he used to fire three aces in a row down three break points  :))

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #205 on: January 31, 2012, 05:29:48 AM »
Yeah Baby!!! :)
CONK da ball!!!

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #206 on: January 31, 2012, 05:31:05 AM »
....... I just love that aggressiveness in a player.

With such game you can win against anyone, but more likely than not, you'll lose against anyone. Probably something like Tsonga: when he's on he seems unstoppable, but when he's not, he's barely a top 20 player. :) The only thing really to miss is the first serve I think... he used to fire three aces in a row down three break points  :))
Yeah, he seems to have pulled back on that just a wee bit. 
There is still some room for improvement on both deliveries.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 05:31:57 AM by monstertruck »
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #207 on: January 31, 2012, 07:43:59 AM »
i still haven't seen the match but i can guess rafa went on the defensive for most part of the match.......when he sheds that approach and goes for it when it's there like he did in 2010, he will definitely beat djokovic.......

shots like down-the-line forehand/backhand, aggressive service returns are a product of aggressive thinking and quite often those two shots in particular are the ones which decide the result in this rivalry.......even consistent depth in groundstrokes comes with aggressive thinking.......

in this rivalry it really comes down to those 3 areas - DTL, ROS and depth....... 
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline hercules

• Tennis God
« Reply #208 on: January 31, 2012, 09:03:42 AM »
good thread, tennisfan78........nadal has lost all his confidence in the backhand and that wing is temporarily dead........that is his major problem now.........his backhand is such a crucial shot against djokovic because djokovic is vulnerable when pushed on the forehand side out wide, not on the backhand side.........historically that is how nadal usually dominated djokovic, by directing most of the shots towards his forehand and creating openings on the backhand.........

so for that to happen, nadal's backhand needs to be working over time.........at the moment it is plain dead and nonexistent........djokovic pounded that hopeless wing all night in rome and even in madrid.........   

djokovic has also improved meanwhile........he has upped every aspect of his game two notches higher........it is high time that nadal sorts out the backhand issues and starts playing solid off both sides........

i think he can do it, nadal is built to overcome challenges and find answers for anything........

Is Nadal's BH gone forever? What is it that caused it to malfunction?
Usually the clay court is where Nadal perfects his tools of the trade, not so this year.

To answer my own question, I expect Nadal realizes his problem and will concentrate his practice to address it, he hasn't much time but with good practices and focus he should beable to bring his BH side back to where it was and will have a few matches should he make it to the finals at RG.
The next question is will it be enough should he come against Nole at RG?

it is a temporary absence and at the moment it looks like a lack of confidence thing, swish........he has lost his dynamics off that side for some reason........just observe him these days, he is not even able to drive the ball which should be a routine business for a top player.........he is moonballing his backhands out of desperation........

however this is not strange with rafa, he has this habit of dropping his level significantly and the mindset starts getting defensive match by match........naturally talented players would hit into form any time but that's not how nadal catches form again, he needs hours and hours of practice........

it is somewhat worrying for his fans because the french open is almost here and he goes in without a backhand........

i still think he can 'manage' a victory without the backhand.........he will tear through the draw into the final with his great forehand alone........with the format being best of 5 sets and the surface being red clay, we just have to go with nadal against anybody.........he will be ready to play a 7 hour final if needed, that is the advantage he carries over others........

clay warrior has work to do general shanks.

i think he will right the ship and reverse the tide in paris. look for hism to gain an enormous boost from another RG title this year.

he just needs to clay to help him find his consistency off the ground. he also should understand by now that he needs better fitness because nole has surpassed him in the fitness department.

rest will take care of itself. he says he is happy with the start of the new year.
PRAY FOR DEATH

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #209 on: January 31, 2012, 10:18:37 AM »
it's still the backhand, hercules.......he is not maintaining good depth off that wing.......it's not as terrible as last year but he needs to hit them deep consistently.......otherwise that wing will be peppered like usual by djokovic.......couple more tournaments could bring him back to his near best.......

i saw the youtube clip of the final and he was hitting short again.......if you remember, before the match, i said that he is better of hitting a few backhands long rather than holding back negatively, he will eventually find his range and depth.......

when he starts negatively with the sole intent to put the ball in court, it's more than likely that he's going into his shell with the backhand.......forehand alone is just not enough against djokovic......

Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #210 on: January 31, 2012, 12:56:38 PM »
CD - The Serbinator is the ultimate fitness and mental warrior right now.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #211 on: January 31, 2012, 01:32:01 PM »
to herc and shank... the match was very close. there is nothing to really blame rafa...imho this one of the best matches ever. 2 guys fighting like I've never seen before. rafa played very well... nole was just a bit better

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #212 on: January 31, 2012, 05:55:55 PM »
good thread, tennisfan78........nadal has lost all his confidence in the backhand and that wing is temporarily dead........that is his major problem now.........his backhand is such a crucial shot against djokovic because djokovic is vulnerable when pushed on the forehand side out wide, not on the backhand side.........historically that is how nadal usually dominated djokovic, by directing most of the shots towards his forehand and creating openings on the backhand.........

so for that to happen, nadal's backhand needs to be working over time.........at the moment it is plain dead and nonexistent........djokovic pounded that hopeless wing all night in rome and even in madrid.........   

djokovic has also improved meanwhile........he has upped every aspect of his game two notches higher........it is high time that nadal sorts out the backhand issues and starts playing solid off both sides........

i think he can do it, nadal is built to overcome challenges and find answers for anything........

Is Nadal's BH gone forever? What is it that caused it to malfunction?
Usually the clay court is where Nadal perfects his tools of the trade, not so this year.

To answer my own question, I expect Nadal realizes his problem and will concentrate his practice to address it, he hasn't much time but with good practices and focus he should beable to bring his BH side back to where it was and will have a few matches should he make it to the finals at RG.
The next question is will it be enough should he come against Nole at RG?

it is a temporary absence and at the moment it looks like a lack of confidence thing, swish........he has lost his dynamics off that side for some reason........just observe him these days, he is not even able to drive the ball which should be a routine business for a top player.........he is moonballing his backhands out of desperation........

however this is not strange with rafa, he has this habit of dropping his level significantly and the mindset starts getting defensive match by match........naturally talented players would hit into form any time but that's not how nadal catches form again, he needs hours and hours of practice........

it is somewhat worrying for his fans because the french open is almost here and he goes in without a backhand........

i still think he can 'manage' a victory without the backhand.........he will tear through the draw into the final with his great forehand alone........with the format being best of 5 sets and the surface being red clay, we just have to go with nadal against anybody.........he will be ready to play a 7 hour final if needed, that is the advantage he carries over others........

clay warrior has work to do general shanks.

i think he will right the ship and reverse the tide in paris. look for hism to gain an enormous boost from another RG title this year.

he just needs to clay to help him find his consistency off the ground. he also should understand by now that he needs better fitness because nole has surpassed him in the fitness department.

rest will take care of itself. he says he is happy with the start of the new year.

Nadal isn't happy even though he says he is.
Djokovic was running on fumes and Nadal knows that as does all of tennis.

What this means is Nadal isn't as close to Djokovic as the match score.

But whatever, we'll be heading into the masters in not too long and we'll see what's what.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #213 on: January 31, 2012, 06:08:14 PM »
While all the talk is about Djokovic and Nadal ATM,this is what Nadal has said.

(Rafael Nadal believes Andy Murray has the ability to become world number one in 2012 provided the Scot improves his mental approach on the biggest stage.)

I don't think it's a 2 horse race in 2012.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #214 on: January 31, 2012, 07:02:34 PM »
I'm beginning to think what Nadal means by "improving mental approach" is willingness to suffer huge pain to win, not anything to do with tennis focus.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #215 on: January 31, 2012, 07:10:09 PM »
While all the talk is about Djokovic and Nadal ATM,this is what Nadal has said.

(Rafael Nadal believes Andy Murray has the ability to become world number one in 2012 provided the Scot improves his mental approach on the biggest stage.)

I don't think it's a 2 horse race in 2012.

I see its going to be a two horse race on clay, but on others its going to be a four horse one.

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #216 on: January 31, 2012, 10:15:15 PM »
I'm thinking at this point the best thing for tennis is for Andy Murray to win the French Open.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #217 on: January 31, 2012, 10:25:00 PM »
What about Fed? No one saw Fed taking down Nole and reaching the final of RG.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #218 on: January 31, 2012, 10:40:10 PM »
What about Fed? No one saw Fed taking down Nole and reaching the final of RG.

That's what I'm saying. Nobody is giving Murray a chance at the FO.

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #219 on: January 31, 2012, 11:30:37 PM »
....... I just love that aggressiveness in a player.

Yeah, he seems to have pulled back on that just a wee bit. 
There is still some room for improvement on both deliveries.
The counter-argument is why improve your service when the rest of your game is the best in the business. If he breaks his opponent 2-3 times in each set, he is most likely to win 80-90% of the sets played and conversely, most of his matches. If a man can prosper by hanging around the baseline and outgunning your opponent, why attack the net or go for broke? Nevertheless, Nadal and Djokovic are great for this sport.