Author Topic: Rafa's game plan against Djokovic  (Read 13995 times)

Offline Bazcovic

• Tennis God
Re: Rafa's game plan against Djokovic
« Reply #220 on: February 01, 2012, 04:23:38 AM »
I thought that Nadal played the FH down the line nicely against both Djokovic and Federer.

Yet, I still believe that the Nadal-Djokovic was unnecessarily taken to a fifth set. Djokovic should've won the 4th set tiebreaker 7-3. Now, the final appears very close, whereas I felt Djokovic was pretty much in control (i.e. 75% of the match).
In the end it wasn't about tactics, but about survival of the fittest or something.

Having said that, I think Djokovic in his current form is simply a bad matchup for Nadal. There is not much he can do to overcome Djokovic.

The current status in the top4 is something like:
Djokovic > Nadal, Murray
Djokovic >= Federer
Nadal > Federer, Murray
Federer > Murray

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #221 on: February 01, 2012, 05:30:36 AM »
“Rafa hates playing Djokovic just now.. You can see it, watching. Rivalries are good for the game. New rivalries come along, and that’s good. But tennis is a mental game. You are there by yourself, for yourself. And here comes this guy breaking through. . . . You could see it in Rafa’s body language.” - Bjorn Borg, on Rafael Nadal's predicament after losing the Wimbledon 2011 final to Djokovic.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/28/magazine/the-fierce-intimacy-of-tennis-rivalries.html?pagewanted=7&ref=tennis
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 05:31:38 AM by propstoart »

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #222 on: February 01, 2012, 05:50:33 AM »
....... I just love that aggressiveness in a player.

With such game you can win against anyone, but more likely than not, you'll lose against anyone. Probably something like Tsonga: when he's on he seems unstoppable, but when he's not, he's barely a top 20 player. :) The only thing really to miss is the first serve I think... he used to fire three aces in a row down three break points  :))
Yeah, he seems to have pulled back on that just a wee bit. 
There is still some room for improvement on both deliveries.
The counter-argument is why improve your service when the rest of your game is the best in the business. If he breaks his opponent 2-3 times in each set, he is most likely to win 80-90% of the sets played and conversely, most of his matches. If a man can prosper by hanging around the baseline and outgunning your opponent, why attack the net or go for broke? Nevertheless, Nadal and Djokovic are great for this sport.
In most aspects of life complacency kills.

Rest assured the competition is working furiously to improve their games as well.  Witness Andy (not Roddick).
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #223 on: February 01, 2012, 05:53:05 AM »
“Rafa hates playing Djokovic just now.. You can see it, watching. Rivalries are good for the game. New rivalries come along, and that’s good. But tennis is a mental game. You are there by yourself, for yourself. And here comes this guy breaking through. . . . You could see it in Rafa’s body language.” - Bjorn Borg, on Rafael Nadal's predicament after losing the Wimbledon 2011 final to Djokovic.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/28/magazine/the-fierce-intimacy-of-tennis-rivalries.html?pagewanted=7&ref=tennis
If this is indeed true, one would that a man such as Nadal would relish the challenge.
CONK da ball!!!

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #224 on: February 01, 2012, 06:34:16 PM »
I thought that Nadal played the FH down the line nicely against both Djokovic and Federer.

Yet, I still believe that the Nadal-Djokovic was unnecessarily taken to a fifth set. Djokovic should've won the 4th set tiebreaker 7-3. Now, the final appears very close, whereas I felt Djokovic was pretty much in control (i.e. 75% of the match).
In the end it wasn't about tactics, but about survival of the fittest or something.

Having said that, I think Djokovic in his current form is simply a bad matchup for Nadal. There is not much he can do to overcome Djokovic.

The current status in the top4 is something like:
Djokovic > Nadal, Murray
Djokovic >= Federer
Nadal > Federer, Murray
Federer > Murray

Bazzer makes a lot of sense.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #225 on: February 01, 2012, 07:41:55 PM »
Djokovic > everyone
Nadal > everyone but djoko
Federer > everyone but Djokdal
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #226 on: February 01, 2012, 09:59:44 PM »
I don't think Rafa has any plans. it doesn't work that way. Rafa can't really change the way he plays. it's kinda imprinted in his mind. same with Nole, Rog.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #227 on: February 01, 2012, 10:19:34 PM »
I don't think Rafa has any plans. it doesn't work that way. Rafa can't really change the way he plays. it's kinda imprinted in his mind. same with Nole, Rog.

Roger is more adaptable in how he plays from year to year compared to everyone else.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #228 on: February 01, 2012, 10:30:46 PM »

Roger is more adaptable in how he plays from year to year compared to everyone else.
he is...but Rog is getting older. I'm afraid his time is over. well, he is still the GOAT. I don't think he'll beat either Nole or Rafa but who knows. gosh, I love his game but I can't stand his personality  :\.  all stuff he said, behaving like God, meh, can't stand him. I understand that he has so many fans, but I could't care less.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #229 on: February 01, 2012, 10:42:40 PM »
he is...but Rog is getting older. I'm afraid his time is over. well, he is still the GOAT. I don't think he'll beat either Nole or Rafa but who knows. gosh, I love his game but I can't stand his personality  :\.  all stuff he said, behaving like God, meh, can't stand him. I understand that he has so many fans, but I could't care less.
:rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #230 on: February 01, 2012, 11:34:06 PM »
If this is indeed true, one would that a man such as Nadal would relish the challenge.

So, true!!  ://

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #231 on: February 02, 2012, 05:24:33 AM »
Didn't you think that Nadal tried to play riskier tennis at times during the final?  Seemed to me like he went for a bit more on serves and returns.  He also chose to change direction during many rallies which is definitely counter to his normal cross-court pattern off boff wings.  During the match, I wondered what the mental toll was of losing those extra points to UFE's as a result of the strategic change.  Raf is so stinggy, and works so hard, that to just 'give away points' by playing outside his comfort zone must have had a negative affect on his emotions.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #232 on: February 02, 2012, 06:25:37 AM »
Djokovic > everyone
Nadal > everyone but djoko
Federer > everyone but Djokdal

I don't think so,but of course Murray can't beat any of these tennis players :)>>>>

Offline Richard Miller

• Tennis Player
« Reply #233 on: February 02, 2012, 07:43:17 AM »

Didn't you think that Nadal tried to play riskier tennis at times during the final?  Seemed to me like he went for a bit more on serves and returns.  He also chose to change direction during many rallies which is definitely counter to his normal cross-court pattern off boff wings. 

Still he almost lost in four, in some ways similar as many times last year, Nole leading and Rafa playing out of his skin just to stay in the match :)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 10:52:26 AM by Richard Miller »

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #234 on: February 02, 2012, 08:50:16 AM »
Didn't you think that Nadal tried to play riskier tennis at times during the final?  Seemed to me like he went for a bit more on serves and returns.  He also chose to change direction during many rallies which is definitely counter to his normal cross-court pattern off boff wings.  During the match, I wondered what the mental toll was of losing those extra points to UFE's as a result of the strategic change.  Raf is so stinggy, and works so hard, that to just 'give away points' by playing outside his comfort zone must have had a negative affect on his emotions.
Guys, can't vouch for the entirety of the match, as I have only seen the highlights, but it looks like Rafa aimed to seize the moment. Some of his serves looked big and there was a certain venom to his groundstrokes.. Also, I have not seen Rafa so positive in his body language. Can anybody confirm my impression, that Nole seemed that the match was his to lose, as opposed to Rafa, who was almost willing himself to turn the tables? What a turnaround in the fortunes of Rafael and Novak!! The aversion to net approaches displayed in this match (pls correct me if I am wrong), does seem to portend that the ATP will soon go down the WTA route - players dominating on return and struggling to hold serve!

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #235 on: February 02, 2012, 12:04:38 PM »
Frightening thought  :scared:
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #236 on: February 02, 2012, 12:17:11 PM »
Guys, can't vouch for the entirety of the match, as I have only seen the highlights, but it looks like Rafa aimed to seize the moment. Some of his serves looked big and there was a certain venom to his groundstrokes.. Also, I have not seen Rafa so positive in his body language. Can anybody confirm my impression, that Nole seemed that the match was his to lose, as opposed to Rafa, who was almost willing himself to turn the tables? What a turnaround in the fortunes of Rafael and Novak!! The aversion to net approaches displayed in this match (pls correct me if I am wrong), does seem to portend that the ATP will soon go down the WTA route - players dominating on return and struggling to hold serve!
Despite the fact that he almost lost in 4, I thought Nadal made some gains tactically and appeared to be in the match most of the time.  That being said, I don't it was Nole's "A" game for the entire match.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #237 on: February 02, 2012, 01:03:58 PM »
Novak should've won in 4 but hey. as long as Nole stays fit, it's going to be very hard for Rafa to win. I think that it was always a bad matchup for Nadal even when he was winning. I would love to see them at RG. I'd pay $1 mill if I had  :))

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #238 on: February 02, 2012, 10:22:37 PM »
Novak should've won in 4 but hey. as long as Nole stays fit, it's going to be very hard for Rafa to win. I think that it was always a bad matchup for Nadal even when he was winning. I would love to see them at RG. I'd pay $1 mill if I had  :))

Novak would have won in 4 if not for the existing mental baggage he still carried against Nadal. But I think after this monumental victory, the demons are finally slain forever. Even on clay I don't think Novak will fear Nadal for a moment.

Offline Richard Miller

• Tennis Player
« Reply #239 on: February 03, 2012, 03:02:16 AM »
Novak would have won in 4 if not for the existing mental baggage he still carried against Nadal. But I think after this monumental victory, the demons are finally slain forever. Even on clay I don't think Novak will fear Nadal for a moment.

Not sure it's any baggage in question, I think simply Novak was not on the top of his game, though he can have some lapses even when he is. Also in matches against Hewitt, Ferrer and of course Murray he had some issues :)