Author Topic: Rafa's game plan against Djokovic  (Read 16059 times)

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
Re: Rafa's game plan against Djokovic
« Reply #140 on: May 29, 2011, 07:31:06 PM »
I see a lot of discussion about Nadal's game play against Djokovic or how great Djokovic is. But nobody try to think about the weakness of Djokovic and who will become his nemesis.
So simple two questions:
Who will become Djokovic's nemesis?
or
What is his weakness?

Maybe in the future we can have this dicussion.
That would make for an interesting topic Mr. Chung!
Perhaps for after RG. :)

It is very interesting to discuss, however it is very hard topic. :king:
Only someone come out and show us how to do it. I have to say no player is unbeatable, it is just who and when!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #141 on: May 30, 2011, 07:16:23 AM »
Hard indeed.
I'd first start with a list of Nole's strengths and weaknesses then match that up with prospective candidates.  Surely this is what the pro coaches are doing throughout the year, looking for cracks in an opponentss game which they might be able to exploit.

Fun stuff.

I'd take a look at Rafa first.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline hcpoirot

• Tennis God
« Reply #142 on: May 31, 2011, 01:10:06 PM »
Now what NOle had in abundance is confidence, the best thing in any sport game. Just ask ROger & Nadal when they were in their top form.

Basically any time when their serve will get broken or in losing position, ROger & Rafa can make an ace or stunning winner just to save themselves. So did NOvak now. When he in tight position, he just come up with winners.

Nole always had the skill to be the best , now team up with the boost of confidence, it will be super hard to beat him.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #143 on: May 31, 2011, 01:55:32 PM »
I didn't want to open a new thread. Toni Nadal about Rafa's confidence etc.
Coach admits that Djokovic undermined Nadal's confidence
http://www.monstersandcritics.com/sport/tennis/article_1642680.php/Coach-admits-that-Djokovic-undermined-Nadal-s-con

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #144 on: July 03, 2011, 12:01:15 AM »

will Rafa change anything different in tomorrow's final?   How do they match up on grass and whom does the surface favor?

I am excited about this match, I hope we get to see a tough 5 setter :)

Offline vsty

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #145 on: July 03, 2011, 02:11:34 AM »
Let's compare how they match-up at the moment on grass:

1) Serve: Slight edge Djokovic (so Rafa needs to vary the placement of his serve to keep Djokovic guessing)

2) Return game: Djokovic hands down. I mean as good as Rafa is service return is his tool to get the point stared on neutral terms rather than a way to get in control of point which Djokovic does so effectively. I don't see rafa scoring much on this point unless Novak starts S&V ing & Rafa hits outright return winners which is highly unlikely.

2) FH: Rafa especially with his variety. Rafa needs to explore various options with his FH especially his killer inside out FH which can be the deal-breaker if it starts firing.

3) BH: Djoko clearly. But,Rafa needs to go hard with his CC BH which is very effective on grass & slice low to Djokovic's BH to keep it from firing.

4) Net-play: Slight edge Rafa.

5) Momentum: Clearly Rafa especially with wins over tough opponents like Murray & Del Po. Djokovic has yet to face a Top 10 opponent at Wimby.

6) Intangibles: Rafa clearly with his big match experience & winning 4 of last 5 GS's against 4 different opponents including Djokovic & Federer.

7) Recent H2H: Djoko clearly with winning their last 4 encounters & last 2 on clay & in straights !!

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #146 on: July 03, 2011, 02:20:11 AM »

That is a great breakdown vsty!

Offline vsty

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #147 on: July 03, 2011, 02:23:30 AM »

Hey Thanks Tennisfan what do u think about today's match & who u think will win?

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #148 on: July 03, 2011, 02:40:10 AM »
This is a tough one to call, i have been changing my mind every few minutes lol.

I agree about your analysis and definitely think that it is going to be a high quality match.

Dont ask me why, but I am leaning slightly towards Djoker.   We will find out soon!

Hey Thanks Tennisfan what do u think about today's match & who u think will win?

Offline vsty

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #149 on: July 03, 2011, 02:53:20 AM »
I am worried for Rafa !! :(

He was all at sea aginst Djokovic during his last 2 meetings !! If Rafa carries the same mentality he will lose.

But, strangely I think grass should help Rafa where his shots will have more penetration which he lacked severely in his last 2 matches on clay which might keep Djokovic honest !! So, may be Rafa will win & everyone knows Rafa is a different beast at slams.  :)

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #150 on: July 03, 2011, 08:45:21 AM »
So far, I still see that Djokovic is dominant the baseline rally. Nadal almost run for every ball so far....

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #151 on: July 03, 2011, 09:15:34 AM »
Good 1st serve percentage is important for Nadal to stay in this match. Cheap point is the way to avoid baseline rally.

Offline Pamqnx

• Tennis God
« Reply #152 on: July 03, 2011, 09:26:16 AM »
Good 1st serve percentage is important for Nadal to stay in this match. Cheap point is the way to avoid baseline rally.
Lol, are we talking about Nadal, or about Karlovic ?

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #153 on: July 03, 2011, 09:28:43 AM »

Nadal!!
What I've seen in the match. It is what Nadal need to do right now. He can not win in baseline rally.

Offline Pamqnx

• Tennis God
« Reply #154 on: July 03, 2011, 09:34:57 AM »

Nadal!!
What I've seen in the match. It is what Nadal need to do right now. He can not win in baseline rally.
It was a joke... Who could have thought the sentence "Nadal can not win in baseline rallies" would be true one day ? (well, against one player only, and for the moment...it may change)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #155 on: July 03, 2011, 01:55:54 PM »
Rafa's game plan against Djokovic?

While coming onto the court swat him from behind with his racquet, that ought to do the trick! :rofl_2:
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #156 on: July 03, 2011, 03:07:28 PM »
Rafa's game plan against Djokovic?

While coming onto the court swat him from behind with his racquet, that ought to do the trick! :rofl_2:
Unless he continues with the pre-match stalling tactic I believe Nole will be the one doing the following out onto the court for awhile. ;-()
CONK da ball!!!

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #157 on: July 03, 2011, 06:42:42 PM »

Nadal!!
It was a joke... Who could have thought the sentence "Nadal can not win in baseline rallies" would be true one day ? (well, against one player only, and for the moment...it may change)

Yeah, i never thought I would hear that either. 

Like babble says, its all about the match ups. Djokovic proved that he has the game and weapons to dominate Rafa from the baseline.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #158 on: July 03, 2011, 10:15:22 PM »
Nole looked so calm in the baseline exchanges today.  He rarely looks rushed even when on defense.  His composure and confidence right now is oozing out of him.  Djokovic is on track to have one of the best seasons ever, and I hope he can continue in form. 

What's amazing is that Nole has defeated Nadal all 5 times this year, that is crazy, especially since he beat him twice on clay.  It is a real shame Nole lost int he semis of the FO, to see Nadal and Nole face off in the FO finals could have been epic rather than the mental collapse we saw from Federer which was disappointing.

If Nole can have success on clay against Rafa, controlling that high bouncing lefty forehand to Nole's backhand (One of Nadal's greatest weapons), then grass should really be no problem for him against Rafa.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #159 on: July 04, 2011, 01:20:08 AM »
There's no easy way out for Nadal it seems.

Djokovic is more consistent from the baseline.
Nadal isn't getting the points he usually does against everyone with his shots to the side lines, Djokovic ran down countless ones and got them back in play either deep or with adequate pace to get back into the point.

Nadal has to go for more, either by picking up the pace of his shots or getting closer to the lines, more risk and more unforced errors unless he's really zoning.

Djokovic has resolved his endurance issues, he can run down balls all day it seems.

Djokovic is very good in returning, getting the ball back into play and his groung game takes over from there.

The drop shots from Rafa have to be almost perfect, Nole can get to many of these where Rafa would usually get points from.

Djokovic's speed around the court is holding his whole game together.

Then finally mentally, it's there and pretty solid, not too many letdowns as in the past.

Put all this together and Nadal is losing quite a few points here and there.

Since this year the pattern has become pretty constant, it appears Nadal has no answers for now.