Author Topic: Rafa's game plan against Djokovic  (Read 14779 times)

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
Re: Rafa's game plan against Djokovic
« Reply #260 on: March 21, 2012, 08:00:06 PM »
Some of Nadal's matches in these two years are really frustration to watch. There is no fighting power and mental. That is not Nadal.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #261 on: March 21, 2012, 08:03:38 PM »
I don't think now Rafa has a problem only against Nole....the title of this thread should now read "rafa's game plan in tennis". He is really not finding his rhythm. Its frustrating to watch.

Rafa has now lost this year to 1) Djokovic and 2) Federer. Really frustrating to watch huh? He's been just the same in all his matches leading up to those losses.
Not quite...he's not rolling directly his way into a match against Fed or Nole. He has been struggling with his movement throughout.

Not enough to actually be bothered by anyone yet. The closest he came to being bothered was against Berdych and we know Berdych can give anyone fits for a set or two and that's exactly what happened. Nadal was just as impressive if not more so than Roger in that Australian Open and of course we know what happened there - he was up a break and one game from beating Djokovic and winning.

I'm not saying he's unbelievably in form but if we stop holding our players up to their VERY PEAK standards (Fed 2006, Djokovic Jan-Sep 2011, Nadal March - Sep 2010) then we're always going to find fault with everyone. Each one of these players has hit a certain peak that, in hindsight, is good enough to destroy his main rivals today but that's not how tennis works. To say Rafa has been struggling with his movement is pretty far-fetched, the guy is still very much the number 2 player in the world despite Fed's recent surge, he's still a favorite over EVERYONE but Djokovic and even then, with Novak's 2 losses on hard-courts this year, Nadal is easily the favourite on clay - you can't do this with struggling movement.

You can say things like he isn't moving like he's used to moving on clay, or back when he won Miami two years ago, or he isn't hitting his backhand with the same authority that he did in 2010, but you can't say he isn't finding his rythm or has lost his game plan because as far as I am concerned the match against Fed was the only one this year where he seemed a little questionable. He even had Djokovic on the ropes at the AO, you can't say he's had a terrible game plan or hasn't had any rythm.

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #262 on: March 22, 2012, 01:49:32 AM »
Nadal perhaps need to do more on the second serve from Djokovic. I find that Djokovic's serve is decline which slightly weaker than last year as he was totally comfortable on his serve.

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #263 on: March 22, 2012, 10:54:58 AM »
Nadal perhaps need to do more on the second serve from Djokovic. I find that Djokovic's serve is decline which slightly weaker than last year as he was totally comfortable on his serve.
as much as I agree with you, it's not happening because Nadal seems to be happy to just push the ball back... yes, he did try to be more aggressive at the AO but it didn't work out. I really believe that the only way to beat Djokovic is to be super aggressive....don't give him a pace etc.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #264 on: March 22, 2012, 01:29:38 PM »
Rafa clearly was sluggish in this tournament and i did not see any enthusiasm from him Pawan. I hope this was just a comeback 'blues' and that he will be back to his fighting best very soon.

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #265 on: March 22, 2012, 02:51:25 PM »
as much as I agree with you, it's not happening because Nadal seems to be happy to just push the ball back... yes, he did try to be more aggressive at the AO but it didn't work out. I really believe that the only way to beat Djokovic is to be super aggressive....don't give him a pace etc.

For this thread, we are discussing what Nadal need to do or change to beat Djokovic. That is one thing I think he needs to do.
So in term of this thread purpose, I disagree with you. In other hand, your statement perhaps indicates that he didn't do it except AO final this year.

AO final perhap is the 1st time I saw him tried to attack Djokovic' serve more. It actually work. If he keep this mind set and continue doing this, he will eventually take Djokovic out of his comfort zone. This is logic leads me believe he needs to do this more when he match up with Djokovic.

In fact, everyone needs to attack Djokovic's serve to beat Djokovic because his serve is not good as his other weapons. If you are able to return aggressive to set up the point, you can beat Djokovic by taking out his comfort zone. It may give you free point as double faults concerns. That is main weakness I see. Also, I believe Djokovic knows that his serve is his weakness. It is reason he tried to improve his second serve delivering in 2008 and 2010. Now his second serve drops too short.

So the question remain is can he do it? That is question you set up in your last statement.
Maybe he can, maybe he cannot as his movement and reflext continue decling. But I see it is the thing he has to change if he wants to beat Djokovic.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 03:24:49 PM by williamchung7 »

Online Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #266 on: March 22, 2012, 06:02:26 PM »
Will, with all respect, Novak's serve is more than fine... you don't get to be #1 with a bad serve. do you actually watch tennis? OK I feel like a major b!tch right now... sorry couldn't help it  :rofl_2:

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #267 on: March 24, 2012, 12:11:27 AM »
Djoker was struggling on serve in the 3rd set in the AO SF against Murray, still took the Brit to a TB.. There is no way, Djoker needs the serve to win.. He can rally with the best and do it the hard way from the baseline (or waaaayyy behind it)!! The serve makes it a bit easier to dominate.. Still, Novak can match the big boys, even on a bad day on the service line ;-() ;-()
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 05:37:25 AM by propstoart »

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #268 on: March 24, 2012, 12:14:11 AM »
Djoker was struggling on serve in the 3rd set in the AO SF against Murray, still took the Brit to a TB.. There is no way, Djoker needs the serve to win.. He can rally with the best and do it the hard way from the baseline (or waaaayyyt behind it)!! The serve makes it a bit easier to dominate.. Still, Novak can match the big boys, even on a bad day on the service line ;-() ;-()
Now, Alex will kiss you exactly like the pic in your dp  :rofl_2:

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #269 on: June 08, 2012, 06:13:26 PM »

Time to revive this thread gain.

French Open finals 2012 Nadal vs Djokovic.

This time Rafa has a couple of wins over Djokovic on clay. He made some adjustments and started playing more aggressive and attack Noles forehand  and it seems to have worked in both the finals. Will he continue to do the same in the final? Will Nole make any changes to his own game to counter  Rafas tactics?

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #270 on: June 08, 2012, 07:21:14 PM »

This time Rafa has a couple of wins over Djokovic on clay. He made some adjustments and started playing more aggressive and attack Noles forehand  and it seems to have worked in both the finals. Will he continue to do the same in the final? Will Nole make any changes to his own game to counter  Rafas tactics?

That's the pertinent question now.

Nole must come to the net. He did so only a few times today, but looked good.

I bet he doesn't and loses.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #271 on: June 09, 2012, 02:09:03 AM »

just 3 months ago we were asking game-plans to beat djokovic, now we are back to "how can nadal be stopped at the french open?".......how greatly nadal has turned things around.......

« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 02:09:39 AM by Start da Game »
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #272 on: June 09, 2012, 04:19:23 AM »
Honestly, guys .. The difference an year makes is quite huge, especially in modern professional sport.. The attacking spirit Nole displayed last year was in stark contrast to his displays against Rafa this term so far.. Even in the final in Oz he was content to slug it out from the back, and this almost cost him the title..
If Nole does not serve big and mix aggression with usual 'stellar' defense, I see Rafa winning this in straights.. The SF against Roger did not require him taking major risks, but in the final he better paint the lines with his strokes, especially the sidelines, with strokes up/down them.. Rafa will not provide freebies and will punish every short ball from Nole.. It is going to be a monumental challenge - Nole must win in 3 or 4 sets max - can't see him clinching a 5-setter against Rafa on the dirt..

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #273 on: June 11, 2012, 07:23:38 AM »
The aggressive tactic create by Nalbandian, Davydenko and Djokovic is the right play to against Nadal. I can see Nadal is forced to defence. The only issue is can you bring the agreesive game plan consistently through entire match. Nadal is more like a Lleyton Hewitt which chasing the ball entire match in this stage. It is not good for his rest of career in technically.