0 (0%)
Hindu
3 (33.3%)
Buddhist
0 (0%)
Jewish
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: What is your religion?  (Read 2836 times)

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
Re: What is your religion?
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2011, 09:10:51 AM »
Is anyone a fan of Richard Dawkin's books?

Someone recommended The God Delusion, but that's just preaching to the choir. I do my own thinking. Why would I want to read it? Can you answer that? Is there anything in there for me that would validate my beliefs? I can't imagine there is.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 09:15:09 AM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Bundey

• Tennis God
  • Formerly known as "#1federerfan"
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2011, 12:13:22 PM »
Is anyone a fan of Richard Dawkin's books?

Someone recommended The God Delusion, but that's just preaching to the choir. I do my own thinking. Why would I want to read it? Can you answer that? Is there anything in there for me that would validate my beliefs? I can't imagine there is.

Well right now I am only on about page 200/420.  Yes, there definitely is a feel of "preaching to the choir" but there is a little more to it that just.  So far it has been a pretty fun read but nothing spectacular to completely affirm your atheism, so it's understandable that you wouldn't want to read it.  However I enjoy reading so it is just something to do while I'm not watching sports or playing Call of Duty this summer ahah.  I don't mind that there is nothing ground breaking in this book.  Also just because your read other people's opinions doesn't really mean you don't do your own thinking.  I doubt anyone came into Agnosticism/Atheism just by reading The God Delusion lol.  The books of his that I have read and would recommend are The Ancestor's Tale which takes a journey from humans all the way down the evolutionary chain to the origins of life, and The Greatest Show on Earth which more or less lays out the evidence for evolution which some reason people still deny.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 12:14:12 PM by Bundey »

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2011, 02:11:47 PM »
hindu - brahmin
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2011, 10:57:27 PM »

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2011, 05:10:08 PM »
hindu - brahmin

same here

Who's your Jesus, falconi?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1xrNaTO1bI[/youtube]

« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 05:11:04 PM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2011, 05:20:07 PM »

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2011, 05:21:56 PM »
What?

Do you know who Jesus is?

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2011, 05:29:02 PM »
What?

:rofl_2: :rofl_2: 

But what did you mean by your question??

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2011, 05:48:35 PM »
What?

I know nothing about your religion. Do you have a Jesus or Muhammad or do you just believe in sacred cows?

And, I didn't think you were religious. Not so much, or still practicing?

Do you have a heaven (I guess would be nirvana) and hell?
Do you have exclusive rights to nirvana, i.e., are you the chosen peeps?
Can you marry outside of your religion and still be hindu - brahmin?
Can you eat meat on Fridays?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 05:56:28 PM by Babblelot »

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2011, 06:13:34 PM »
What?

I know nothing about your religion. Do you have a Jesus or Muhammad or do you just believe in sacred cows?
What a distorted view! We believe there is only one self and that is the truth...everything else is just a manifestation of the supreme truth. We respect anything that has energy...which means we cannot disrespect anything because everything has energy..mountains, fire, stone, sun, earth, stars, moon,COW....EVERYTHING...what was known to us 100000 years ago is known to modern science only now.

And, I didn't think you were religious. Not so much, or still practicing?
Very much practicing (whatever that means)

Do you have a heaven (I guess would be nirvana) and hell?
No, because anything other than the self is just not true.

Do you have exclusive rights to nirvana, i.e., are you the chosen peeps?
No...anyone can attain moksha (nirvana)...from a stone to a tadpole to a human to an outcaste to a king can realise the self within him.

Absolutely. Only, the environment may not be conducive for you to continue being one. Hence the insistance of marriage within your community and/or your caste.

Yes. There is no restriction of any sort in Hinduism. Its only choice. I am a vegetarian(by birth and choice), and that is only for controlling your urges more than anything else....in other words, to avoid indulgence. One can however do whatever he likes as long as he realises that absitinance gets him closer to the final truth. The more you yield to your sense pleasures, the more distant you are from realising your true self. Hence I do not eat meat. I always could if I wanted to, but I see no reason in doing so and distancing myself from the truth. Hopefully Shank can add to this or vouch for this.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 06:16:33 PM by falcon »

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2011, 06:21:05 PM »
good stuff Falcon. I really liked how you explained your religion.
On the other hand, I think Babs, based on everything you said, should start practicing Hindu religion although I'm sure he can't live without his burgers (but it's allowed as you pointed out)  :rofl_2:

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2011, 06:22:31 PM »
On the other hand, I think Babs, based on everything you said, should start practicing Hindu religion although I'm sure he can't live without his burgers (but it's allowed as you pointed out)  :rofl_2:
:)) Babbs = burger +beer  :rofl_2:

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2011, 06:30:05 PM »
:)) Babbs = burger +beer  :rofl_2:
yup, you nailed it. Who knows? Maybe, in his particular case, burgers + beer will bring him closer to the truth  :rofl_2:.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2011, 06:39:54 PM »
You had me then you lost me.

I was totally ready to convert, until I got to these.

Btw, excellent job, my :friends:  I really appreciate this!

Absolutely. Only, the environment may not be conducive for you to continue being one. Hence the insistance of marriage within your community and/or your caste.

--Hmm... hooey. We had a conversation recently about "college life." Remember  :drunk:  That sounds like you're in an environment that's not conducive to practicing.

--Boo :thumb-down:  homey's not down with rigid social class systems. FAIL

Yes. There is no restriction of any sort in Hinduism. Its only choice. I am a vegetarian (by birth and choice), and that is only for controlling your urges more than anything else....in other words, to avoid indulgence. One can however do whatever he likes as long as he realises that absitinance gets him closer to the final truth. The more you yield to your sense pleasures, the more distant you are from realising your true self. Hence I do not eat meat. I always could if I wanted to, but I see no reason in doing so and distancing myself from the truth. 

--That is completely opposite of being human. You wouldn't waste your capacity to learn and, say, abstain from grad school. You wouldn't abstain from pleasure if you have more capacity to do what makes you feel good, i.e., brings you closer to "the truth." Pathology will not bring you happiness, but abstinence will not bring you closer to "the truth." FAIL

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2011, 06:46:16 PM »
You had me then you lost me.

I was totally ready to convert, until I got to these.

Btw, excellent job, my :friends:  I really appreciate this!

--Hmm... hooey. We had a conversation recently about "college life." Remember  :drunk:  That sounds like you're in an environment that's not conducive to practicing.

--Boo :thumb-down:  homey's not down with rigid social class systems. FAIL

That's why I said 'may'. There is no restriction whatsoever. Hinduism and society are two different things; you are mixing up the two here anyway with this question. If we are discussing religion here, keep social oreder outside of it. I still follow my religion in Canada....not everyone is strong willed. Its about respect. Would you respect a cow as much as a Hindu does? Would you find it strange if I chanted prayers to the sun or food? Would you find it awkward? If you don't and appreciate things, then you are absolutely free to do whatever you want. Not everyone is so free minded in this world. If you marry within your religion, chances are that the other person understands its value as much, other than that, there is nothing to it. However as I stated earlier, you are mixing up religion and society here.

Yes. There is no restriction of any sort in Hinduism. Its only choice. I am a vegetarian (by birth and choice), and that is only for controlling your urges more than anything else....in other words, to avoid indulgence. One can however do whatever he likes as long as he realises that absitinance gets him closer to the final truth. The more you yield to your sense pleasures, the more distant you are from realising your true self. Hence I do not eat meat. I always could if I wanted to, but I see no reason in doing so and distancing myself from the truth. 

--That is completely opposite of being human. You wouldn't waste your capacity to learn and, say, abstain from grad school. You wouldn't abstain from pleasure if you have more capacity to do what makes you feel good, i.e., brings you closer to "the truth." Pathology will not bring you happiness, but abstinence will not bring you closer to "the truth." FAIL

abstinence is with respect to sense pleasures, physically and mentally, going to grad school is my duty and shirking duty is a bigger sin, especially on the pretext of 'abstinence'. Abstinence doesn't bring you closer to truth. It controls your mind which would then help you seek bigger answers in your life. If you are in and out gratifying your bodily pleasures, when will you pause and look for something more meaningful than to satisfy the body (mind including) which is so temporary?

« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 06:53:03 PM by falcon »

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2011, 06:51:55 PM »

No I still follow my religion in Canada....not everyone is strong willed. Its about respect. Would you respect a cow as much as a Hindu does? Would you find in awkward? If you don't and appreciate things, then you are absolutely free to do whatever you want.

I respect a cow as much as you respect a carrot.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2011, 06:53:35 PM »

No I still follow my religion in Canada....not everyone is strong willed. Its about respect. Would you respect a cow as much as a Hindu does? Would you find in awkward? If you don't and appreciate things, then you are absolutely free to do whatever you want.

I pray before I eat my food. Do you?

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2011, 06:57:28 PM »
abstinence is with respect to sense pleasures, physically and mentally, going to grad school is my duty and shirking duty is a bigger sin, especially on the pretext of 'abstinence'. Abstinence doesn't bring you closer to truth. Its controls your mind which would then help you seek bigger answers in your life.

Yeah, I figured out that every religion has issues with the fact that human beings have the capacity to feel good and use this capacity to guilt and shame their followers.

You are very talented and likely (of course, I don't know) had a relatively good starting point in life. We call that the "lucky sperm club." What, then, is the duty of the impoverish who have to work for pennies in inhumane conditions in your country?

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2011, 07:00:30 PM »
abstinence is with respect to sense pleasures, physically and mentally, going to grad school is my duty and shirking duty is a bigger sin, especially on the pretext of 'abstinence'. Abstinence doesn't bring you closer to truth. Its controls your mind which would then help you seek bigger answers in your life.

Yeah, I figured out that every religion has issues with the fact that human beings have the capacity to feel good and use this capacity to guilt and shame their followers.

You are very talented and likely (of course, I don't know) had a relatively good starting point in life. We call that the "lucky sperm club." What, then, is the duty of the impoverish who have to work for pennies in inhumane conditions in your country?
we don't guilt or shame anyone because we have the concept of karma and we have no concept of heaven or hell...do what you want and you will get what you deserve...everyone is damn free to do whatever he or she wants.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2011, 07:01:51 PM »

I pray before I eat my food. Do you?

Do you know where your food comes from? How it gets to you? Do you grow your own food, or do you go to the supermarket and buy it? Do you know how the supermarket gets their food? Do you know how the supermarket suppliers grow their food? Do you know the by products of the food you eat? Do you know the externalities of the food you eat?

You pray for the food that was supplied to you from bad people who are working to squash good people.

Stop praying for that. I don't appreciate it.