Author Topic: Federer's game plan against Djokovic  (Read 3853 times)

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
Federer's game plan against Djokovic
« on: May 31, 2011, 03:43:21 PM »
Going toe to toe didn't really work in Australia. I think Annacone is going to instruct his charge to junk ball the Djoker to death. Slices, drop shots, more slices, whatever to take Djoker out of his rhythm.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline kopite

• Tennis Player
Re: Federer's game plan against Djokovic
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 08:41:38 PM »
The Luck >>>> would be the most crucial plan

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 09:27:09 PM »
Serve well.
Return aggressively.
If he has to rally, engage in lots of FH cross court rallies.
If he has to go to the BH, play it low and short, Nole's BHDTL is a moneymaker.
Do not expect for there to be a mental or physical lapse on Nole's part.  That's a thing of the past.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 06:00:41 AM by monstertruck »
CONK da ball!!!

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 09:32:26 PM »
Serve well.
Return aggressively.
Engage in lots of FH cross court rallies.
If you have to go to the BH, play it low and short, Nole's BHDTL is a moneymaker.
Do not expect for there to be a mental or physical lapse on Nole's part.  That's a thing of the past.

In other words, Federer has to play the match of his life and even then he might not win.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 09:34:52 PM »
Serve well.
Return aggressively.
If you have to go to the BH, play it low and short, Nole's BHDTL is a moneymaker.

In other words, Federer has to play the match of his life and even then he might not win.
I kinda disagree with you on this. Fed at his best is better than Nole at his best. Atleast that's what I'd like to think...however Nole is playing at his best and Fed is far below his best now.

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 09:45:07 PM »
Serve well.
Return aggressively.

He has to play smart instead of arrogant. 

He can no longer afford to dick around with Rafa and Nole, they are both steadier and their weapons are more consistently effective.  Fed has to use the tools at his disposal and take the opponents out of their game.  He can no longer rally with these dudes and expect to come out on top in the long run.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 09:45:58 PM »
Serve well.
Return aggressively.

I kinda disagree with you on this. Fed at his best is better than Nole at his best. Atleast that's what I'd like to think...however Nole is playing at his best and Fed is far below his best now.
That pretty much sums it up Falc! :)
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 11:35:29 PM »
Going toe to toe didn't really work in Australia. I think Annacone is going to instruct his charge to junk ball the Djoker to death. Slices, drop shots, more slices, whatever to take Djoker out of his rhythm.

those tricks don't work against djokovic version 2.0........there is only one method of defeating him at present: hitting through his defense.......

Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 11:41:25 PM »
Serve well.
Return aggressively.

"fed at his best" never faced somebody even half as good as djokovic 2.0........outside of nadal on clay that is.........

« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 11:43:38 PM by Start da Game »
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 11:44:39 PM »
"fed at his best" never faced somebody even half as good as djokovic 2.0........outside of nadal on clay that is.........

Fed at his best(2004-2006) would wipe the court with Djokovic 2.0.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 12:17:01 AM »

who are all those legends that he actually wiped the court with during that period?

Offline vsty

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 12:52:13 AM »

I agree game wise Fed during 2004-06 was just on another plane. I mean his FH was spectacular & very consistent, his BH was more solid & most importantly his footwork was terrific reaching most of the balls well in time & transition from defence to offense was unbelievable. You can't just win a handful of matches annually for 3 consecutive years if u r not playing unbelievable however good or bad the competition might be.

Offline Mertov

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 01:36:17 AM »
Hi everyone,

I thought Federer would struggle against Wawrinka or at least against Monfils, but he is really playing his best tennis this year (Wilander said at least on clay he did).  They have not faced each other on clay yet this year.  I think Federer definitely has a chance although Djokovic is no doubt the favorite.

I agree with monstertruck in that he has to first of all serve well.  And if he keeps the rallies mixed up and not one pace (which he has shown plenty in Roland Garros) he can come out on top.  But if anything at all, again, he has to serve well and win enough free points on his service games.  Once he can get the set to the later stages he will have a chance, his tie-break record at Roland Garros or any set that goes beyond 5-5 is excellent.

Best
Mertov

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 02:13:08 AM »
Use deep and low slice during rally for changing direction or regaining control I believe is the key.
I think another key is don't miss judge the shot, sometimes Federer chooses to play wrong shot and lose the point (I have no idea what is this pheonomon). In the end, it becomes disaster. It happens a lot, a lot of times he just needs another easy forehand. 

Play big cross court backhand  or inside-out backhand if get chances, it will be important shot I believe.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 02:29:57 AM by williamchung7 »

Offline Bazcovic

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 02:30:27 AM »
Federer is playing really well this year.
Beating Tipsy, Wawrinka, and Monfils in 3 three sets is pretty good.
This year he is playing a really attacking hardcourt style of game at RG, which is funny to see. Most points are really short.

Tomorrow it will be 29 degrees celcius and sunny, so Federer wins in 3 or 4 sets, I think.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 10:23:01 AM »
Federer is playing really well this year.
Beating Tipsy, Wawrinka, and Monfils in 3 three sets is pretty good.
This year he is playing a really attacking hardcourt style of game at RG, which is funny to see. Most points are really short.

Tomorrow it will be 29 degrees celcius and sunny, so Federer wins in 3 or 4 sets, I think.

Semi is on Friday!

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2011, 11:35:42 AM »
Serve well.
Return aggressively.

May be not, but he would still beat the Nole of today...no doubts about that. Fed was in a different zone and different plane from 2004 to 2006 and even in patches in 07.

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline hcpoirot

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2011, 12:12:57 PM »
JUst play his best. Serve well and try to not squander the break point chances (if he had them) And if it is windy, please please do not try the drop shot at emergency points.

THis probably will be Roger tough test to see if he still had what it takes but NOle really in his BEST FORM EVER. Very tough tough to beat.

Win or lose hoping Roger just give all his best 2 days from now. Go Roger.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2011, 02:33:22 PM »
Serve well.
Return aggressively.

May be not, but he would still beat the Nole of today...no doubts about that. Fed was in a different zone and different plane from 2004 to 2006 and even in patches in 07.

i can't be sure because i am struggling to find somebody as good as nole among fed's opponents back then........nadal was definitely one on clay but we know what happened on that surface........

fed himself suggested just a week ago before the start of FO that he is now a better player compared to 2005........

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 02:56:39 PM »
Toughest test for Fed, if he can overcome Djokovic here, not only does he get another (realistic) shot at another FO but he also puts himself back in the mix for the top 3 players for real and not just, the player after the top 2.

Novak is too consistent from the baseline and he also seems to have gotten a little fight in his system now and confidence which are very dangerous especially in the hands of a super skilled player.

Federer needs to serve big and really get that one two punch down to hold easily. He'll also need to take the net to put the pressure on Djokovic. On returns and in rallies, variety is the key. Fed still has more variety than Djokovic. He needs to exploit Djokovic's up and down movement because we know how well Djokovic can make those side-to-side saves and splits.

Also could be key - not recomended - is the fact that Federer's fitness is still probably better than Djokovic's. An extended battle could weaken Djokovic a little - although it comes at a heavy expense of Fed's own baseline game going down. But seeing how Fed seems to go in and out of patches, it could work in his favour and not drain him too much. I think he has a better shot and would probably be more comfortable winning the match something like 6-4 1-6 6-3 3-6 6-4 than an intensive 7-6 7-6 7-5 victory.

It'll depend on how easily he can keep up his service games against Djokovic and see if he can put the pressure on at the right times to step ahead and close out the set. He has to be really sharp.