Author Topic: Federer's game plan against Djokovic  (Read 4263 times)

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
Re: Federer's game plan against Djokovic
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2011, 03:22:59 PM »
Serve well.
Return aggressively.
Engage in lots of FH cross court rallies.
If you have to go to the BH, play it low and short, Nole's BHDTL is a moneymaker.
Do not expect for there to be a mental or physical lapse on Nole's part.  That's a thing of the past.

In other words, Federer has to play the match of his life and even then he might not win.
I kinda disagree with you on this. Fed at his best is better than Nole at his best. Atleast that's what I'd like to think...however Nole is playing at his best and Fed is far below his best now.

"fed at his best" never faced somebody even half as good as djokovic 2.0........outside of nadal on clay that is.........
May be not, but he would still beat the Nole of today...no doubts about that. Fed was in a different zone and different plane from 2004 to 2006 and even in patches in 07.

i can't be sure because i am struggling to find somebody as good as nole among fed's opponents back then........nadal was definitely one on clay but we know what happened on that surface........

fed himself suggested just a week ago before the start of FO that he is now a better player compared to 2005........

I agree on that point as we have said this many a time in the past and we were perhaps one of the very few on the board who said it then. I still stand by the fact that there was no one as good as Nole is now back then, but some players were on fire in a tournament and Fed stopped them (hot streaks of Gonzo, baggy in AO come to mind immediately). Anyway, Nole will beat Fed tomm....I am pretty sure about it; infact its strange that they haven't met more on clay to be honest. I would have loved to see more battles between these two on clay.

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2011, 05:51:40 PM »
Fed needs to stay away from long rallies, Djokovic is so reliable that even Nadal with his large net clearance was about even in long rallies.

So Fed has to keep points short, serve well and up the pace on his shots.
Use some angles to get Djokovic out of position.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2011, 11:41:23 PM »
Fed needs to stay away from long rallies, Djokovic is so reliable that even Nadal with his large net clearance was about even in long rallies.

So Fed has to keep points short, serve well and up the pace on his shots.
Use some angles to get Djokovic out of position.

It's not that simple to just "up the pace", he's still going to have to be patient in the rallies. But he has to keep changing the angles, try some slices and droppers. Just keep exchanging cross-court with Nole is suicide.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2011, 12:25:42 AM »
i will say it again,

you have to hit through his defense, good luck trying that.....
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2011, 02:11:34 AM »
Need to be smart indeed!

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2011, 12:35:03 AM »
Should we make a review, see how many strategues or tactics have been used in this remarkable semi.  :)

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2011, 12:44:50 AM »
I reveiw entire match and indentify a key shot. Federer served well, both forehand and backhand play well and defence well ideed. But one key shot played biggest part in this match. It is not deep defence backhand slice. It is slice use for moving Djokovic. Federer use short and low backhand slice to move Djokoivc from baseline. I find that Djokovic ( I think most players) had problem to hit backhand when the ball is low and shallow on the court. Djokovic has to move forward and shots need to carefully play to pass through tht net. The result is the ball is slower and short. It mean Federer use these shots to take out Djokovic from baseline and gain short respond. And then, Federer can attack it. Federer also use deep slice to change direction. These shots is low and deep, Djokovic has to use his own strength to create direction and pace :zipped:

In other hand, Djokoic didn't play a lot of backhand down the line or big cross court backhand (most of them are in 1st set). I believe it is because variety of Federer's groundstroke did not give many chances for him to play those tow shots. It is what Nadal can't do to Djokovic.

But Nadal can do what Djokovic slightly can't do is take out Federer's comfort zone, the top spin.   ;-()
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 01:03:27 AM by williamchung7 »

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2011, 07:20:03 AM »
Good stuff!
Nice to see that tennis isn't always about smashing the ball from the baseline...
CONK da ball!!!

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2011, 02:36:59 AM »
Maybe Nadal can learn something from Federer's tactic. It is time for him to bring new stuff in his game.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2011, 05:25:25 AM »
I thought he might show us some different tactics in this last final. :(
He must find a way to create time and space for his strokes.

...oh yeah, and fix his trrrble BH. :rofl_2:
NOT
CONK da ball!!!

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2011, 05:04:56 AM »
Federer's game plan to Djokovic should stick what he did against Djokovic in past three years, keep changing pace and rhythm by drop shot, slice and normal groundstroke shot.

This years, two loses prove that toe to toe does not work to against Djokovic.

And maybe Federer should learn some knowleges of  Sampras groundstroke shot, especially backhand.

1. Sampras able to swing his backhand to make big cross court angle to opponent oppiste position in the middle of the court, consistently.
2. Smapras able to swing his forhand and use opponent strength to make suddently changing course forehand. 

I saw him play similar shots couple of times on French open.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 05:15:47 AM by williamchung7 »

Offline Jovan

• Tennis Player
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2011, 08:18:45 AM »
hi people. i see you all argue about who will be better in his peak. in my opinion that is absurd. everythink is in head. self - confidence is playing huge factor in tennis (all individual sport). i mean Nole will not beat Nadal in Wimbledon final (at least not that easy) if they play different tournaments from start of the year. that is how i look on that subject.  ;-() cheer up  :)

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2011, 06:02:20 AM »
Should we restart this discussion again.  :rofl_2:
I am kind of idiot.  :rofl_2:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2011, 09:20:56 AM »
Play aggressive and run make Novak run like a jack rabbit. Keep down the UF errors and serve outstanding.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2011, 11:28:40 AM »
Play aggressive and run make Novak run like a jack rabbit. Keep down the UF errors and serve outstanding.
It sounds good but it's not that easy. You have to do it consistently. Fed is just not that consistent any more. I see lot's of Fed fans, on this and other boards,  predicting that Rog will win this easily  :confused1:. I don't understand. Wishful thinking, maybe  :innocent:.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2011, 11:29:40 AM »
maintain depth and hit through his defense........there is no other way he gets beat.......just forget that french open match, he let both the occasion and the crowd get the best of him.......not playing the quarterfinal also did not do him any favour.......
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2011, 11:32:08 AM »
It sounds good but it's not that easy. You have to do it consistently. Fed is just not that consistent any more. I see lot's of Fed fans, on this and other boards,  predicting that Rog will win this easily  :confused1:. I don't understand. Wishful thinking, maybe  :innocent:.

they live in dreamland.......tipsarevic showed how djokovic can be beaten........he slapped down forehand after forehand and backhand after backhand, flat and down the line cracking djokovic's defenses........

that's just how you tackle djokovic.......nadal will do it a little slowly and differently but the basic gameplan is that.......

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2011, 12:04:27 PM »
I think Fed needs to employ that big forehand that worked well for him yesterday.  Fed will need to serve well, hit big forehands and consistent backhands.  Low UFEs.  But that is all obvious.  I think one key will be for Fed to close the net and take care of some business up there too, not let Novak run back and forth all day long and keep hitting balls back.  Nole will have to be not playing at his best.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2011, 12:09:26 PM »
Fed needs to use the crowd. No one has the crowd support and pull over them that Roger does he needs to use it. See what Jimbo could do with the crowd back in the day.

Also let's recall that at the French, it was actually Federer's defense that was pretty damn spectacular. He let Djokovic do the mood swings and form swings and beat himself a bit with some spectacular defense. I don't know how much will play in this match but it's just interesting to keep in mind.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2011, 01:36:19 PM »
Fed needs to use the crowd. No one has the crowd support and pull over them that Roger does he needs to use it. See what Jimbo could do with the crowd back in the day.

Also let's recall that at the French, it was actually Federer's defense that was pretty damn spectacular. He let Djokovic do the mood swings and form swings and beat himself a bit with some spectacular defense. I don't know how much will play in this match but it's just interesting to keep in mind.
Oh, the crowd thing. Sure, the crowd will help Rog win the match  :rofl_2:. You can do better than this Pawan.  :innocent:

Novak played sh!t in Paris, that's why he lost. It's as simple as that  :gleam:.