Author Topic: Chris! dying to hear what you have to say...  (Read 1903 times)

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
Chris! dying to hear what you have to say...
« on: June 06, 2011, 07:27:27 AM »
...about my homies.

NoCal versus SoCal   :Boxing:
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
Re: Chris! dying to hear what you have to say...
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 12:12:36 PM »
San Fran vs LA you mean Bab? :)
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 10:11:01 AM »

Yes, bring it on! :Boxing:
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 12:32:19 PM »

Yes, bring it on! :Boxing:

Weather: LA
Everything else: SF
(for me)  But.... my absolute favorite city in California is SAN DIEGO!  If I had to move from Texas to California - I'd move to San Diego in a heartbeat!

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 01:02:12 PM »
Ok I have some pretty clear and outright opinions and thoughts on LA in particular and there's bound to be at least 1 member or guest I offend here so maybe I should take it to a PM :rofl_2: but for now I'll keep it here and sorry if anybody is offended that's not what I want to do.

Firstly I should say I loved the whole trip and the experience of visiting all 3 places and to me when you want to see the world its 3 places you MUST do. That's 17 for me now and not 1 of the 3 would quite be able to sneak into the top 5 on my list I say.

I'll include Vegas as I absolutely loved it, the sightseeing and attractions there is unbelievable and being so close to mini landmarks from all over the world is awesome. Its 24 hours which is my kind of place when I'm away like that because I always want to be on the go. Great choice of shows, I did just a little gambling which was fun. I absolutely loved the New York rollercoaster and then the 3 highest rides in the world on the Stratosphere. The showgirls in the show I saw too were just fantastic :)) I guess though its very much a city that when you've done it unless you are big on the gambling or the parties or just absolutely fall in love with the place its 1 you would look at again in like 10 years. Although I'm probably not the best person to ask on that as unless there's a Grand Slam there its hard for me to want to go back to a city again and see all the same things.

So to San Francisco, that's 1 really cool city, lots to see and do and feels quite different to other American cities, quite a chilled out environment it seemed and down by Fishermans Wharf is just beautiful and really cool and some of the vantage points across the city like Coit Tower and Alamo Hill are breathtaking. The weather can be indifferent and those streets need mountain equipment almost to get up or even down some of them  :rofl_2: I like its traditional side with some of the old buildings and the trams and then its more modern aspect. It is crazy to me they have a mental asylum right in the middle of the city especially when they are all roaming around the beautiful city Hall, but overall I have San Francisco as a 6 on my scale.

Ok to LA, wow this was not what I expected a lot, you were quite right in your views Bab before I went, its clear to me that LA is built up way too much by people and media etc and its really quite a let down. We were talking about Memorial weekend, well you would never have known as other than the 200metres that is the heart of Holllywood around 1pm that was crazilly busy and I'd already done that part at 10am there were no crowds and nothing that got in the way of my plans. So much of downtown itself was a bit like a ghosttown and just seconds from main downtown or even Hollywood or Bev Hills was pretty run down and not very attractive. I don't know if some people got out of there over the long weekend but seriously is that where you guys send all the dead meat and rejects of America! :rofl_2: If the people weren't looking strange they were either Mexican(I guess way too many of them get over the border) or Chinese(well they are taking over most places I go it seems) it was crazy I heard so little English spoken the whole time I was in LA, whatever part of the whole area I was in, was crazy. It definitely has some really nice places like Griffiths Park and the view over the city is 1 of the best anywhere in the world I'd say, the main part of Hollywood and some attractions in downtown and definitely the beautiful weather but overall a big disappointment. I score LA probably a 2-3 at the very best and that must be that low knowing my Lakers are there. Of 17 places I've been Los Angeles is ranked just that- number 17!

So San Francisco easily wins the Battle of California in this one Bab :)

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 02:36:06 PM »
Nice Summary Chris - and I agree with you based on my visits to those 3 cities as well.  It was definitely a let down for us when we went to LA and Hollywood.  I said "THIS is Hollywood?"... :confused1: :confused1: :confused1:  I couldn't believe it.  Then when we went on a tour, the tour guide had to say the same thing in about 4 languages so by the time they got to English, we had already passed whatever we were suppose to be looking at from the tour bus!  Not a good experience for me at all!!!!  English SHOULD have been the first language they talked to us on the tour bus - not the last... Then the smog was so bad in LA...I just didn't get it.

I loved San Francisco (but I said next time I would bring my coat)! lol!  We took the boat tour to Alcatraz Island and I literally FROZE to death on the water going and coming back.  My ears were almost frostbitten!  But I loved the city, the food, the streets...walking and riding on the cable cars.  SF was a great trip but I just wasn't dressed properly.  I will next time! :rofl_2:

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 03:55:13 PM »
That's exactly how I was Dallas in the 'This is really Hollywood?' I was expecting something really grand and something really high market and absolute class but it just wasn't at all. Wow that's incredible that in America, such a major city they have English as the 4th language on that Bus Tour! :scared: Thats craziness and as you say once they got to that stage with English you'd gone right past it. That clearly typifies my point of so little English being spoken there. Yeah on the highland you can really see the smog much more clearly, its a big issue it seems there.

Yeah it definitely sounds like you would have froze in San Fran, you just absolutely love the heat so anything not over 90-100F I guess is cold for you :rofl_2: It can certainly be cold out on the water so going to Alcatraz must have finished you off in the cold aspect :rofl_2: its a very cool city though, similar to how I expected, just the streets are extremely steep, I didn't think they were quite that steep so that can't be easy for some people walking there especially in the wet!

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 04:00:02 PM »
You say that Chris - about walking up the streets, but when my girlfriend and I started walking up a steep hill, we had to pause to 'catch our breath', and there coming right behind us - and passing us on the hill, was the old Chinese lady just walking like it was nothing to her!  We both looked at each other and laughed at how out-of-shape we must be because she looked like she was at least 100 years old and could out-walk us to death!  :rofl_2:

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 04:19:08 PM »
Nice to know you had a good trip Chris :) may be you can plan your next trip to Vancouver before the end of 2012  :)

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 04:39:39 PM »
You say that Chris - about walking up the streets, but when my girlfriend and I started walking up a steep hill, we had to pause to 'catch our breath', and there coming right behind us - and passing us on the hill, was the old Chinese lady just walking like it was nothing to her!  We both looked at each other and laughed at how out-of-shape we must be because she looked like she was at least 100 years old and could out-walk us to death!  :rofl_2:

:rofl_2: :rofl_2: That's just soooo funny Dallas but doesn't really surprise me as I guess the locals get used to them and then us tourists get there and we're like what the heck have we got to keep doing here? :rofl_2: From my point of view I'm glad I visited that city at 23 years of age especially with my knees :rofl_2:

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 04:42:48 PM »
Nice to know you had a good trip Chris :) may be you can plan your next trip to Vancouver before the end of 2012  :)

Absolutely fantastic trip Falcon, loved it :)) I'm maxing out this year with trips away and planning my holidays on the Slams as always but also the Olympics next year(although that seems pointless with the craphouse ticket systems we always use in this country) so as much as I would absolutely looooooooove to meet up with you in Vancouver by the end of 2012 I can't see how I could do it :( I think just a few months later in March 2013 I am going to be going to Toronto.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 04:49:43 PM »

What about me, falconi? There's no chance of Chris getting up there, but I'll be taking me mum to Vancouver before too long.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 04:50:41 PM »

Absolutely fantastic trip Falcon, loved it :)) I'm maxing out this year with trips away and planning my holidays on the Slams as always but also the Olympics next year(although that seems pointless with the craphouse ticket systems we always use in this country) so as much as I would absolutely looooooooove to meet up with you in Vancouver by the end of 2012 I can't see how I could do it :( I think just a few months later in March 2013 I am going to be going to Toronto.

Toronto is where Emma is put up so may be the two of you could meet :) As for me, most likely I'll be done by around Sept 2012 here and then I am going back again...I won't be here in 2013  :(

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 04:51:20 PM »

What about me, falconi? There's no chance of Chris getting up there, but I'll be taking me mum to Vancouver before too long.

I thought only your mom is coming here...so when are YOU coming??????? That would be just spectacular if you could come here!!!

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 04:55:21 PM »

Hey it's the green eyed monster :)~ :rofl_2:

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2011, 04:56:17 PM »

Hey it's the green eyed monster :)~ :rofl_2:
:rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:  can't stop laughing  :rofl_2:

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2011, 04:56:51 PM »

Toronto is where Emma is put up so may be the two of you could meet :) As for me, most likely I'll be done by around Sept 2012 here and then I am going back again...I won't be here in 2013  :(

Yeah I thought it was Toronto Emma lived, that would be real cool :) But just toooooo sad you won't be there in 2013 :( I'm sure 1 day though our paths will cross :)

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 04:58:06 PM »

Yeah I thought it was Toronto Emma lived, that would be real cool :) But just toooooo sad you won't be there in 2013 :( I'm sure 1 day though our paths will cross :)

Yeah Chris. Really hope so.  ://

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 05:00:18 PM »

I thought only your mom is coming here...so when are YOU coming??????? That would be just spectacular if you could come here!!!

She wants me to accompany her because I take care of everything for her. I've got to fit in NYC and/or Italy, as well as Vancouver, so we haven't set a date.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 05:03:23 PM »

She wants me to accompany her because I take care of everything for her. I've got to fit in NYC and/or Italy, as well as Vancouver, so we haven't set a date.
hopefully then its before 2013. Lets see. I should be in Vancouver at that time too. I already have a couple of trips planned this year; can't be sure about next year as well.