Author Topic: Music Organization.. suggestions?  (Read 496 times)

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
Music Organization.. suggestions?
« on: June 11, 2011, 08:34:12 PM »
So if anyone didn't know, I am OCD about a lot of things. Whether it be a stickler for volume being factors of 5 in the car, or the fact that I like clean fresh starts and just need to hit the restart button way too often in lots of aspects.. anyway. One of the biggest annoyances for me is the fact that I am OCD about my music collection being organized.

This is all fine and well, an organized collection is a pleasure to go through and be proud of and enjoy but the problem comes when I have lost time and haven't been able to maintain the collection. I have about 15gigs of music but the last two-three years have been a blur and i haven't been able to keep updating my collection as I like. The problem now is that I can't start listening to music from my collection (my last ipod update was in 2008..) until I have all my songs in and updated.

This is where I need help. My .. friend has been keeping her music updated and organized. And she has about 20 gigs of music which I also have. However, there are slight differences in the folder structure and, most importantly, naming convention and the integration of hindi, telugu and english songs which she does differently than me. And, obviously, almost 13 gig or so of my collection is IN her collection, so there's a good 85% repeat. How do I go through these two collections and update mine with the additional stuff that she has from hers?

That's my main problem. I don't feel like going through a 1000 folders even if 850 of them are just going to be "ok she has it.. do i have it? yes.. delete!" done. How do I sync our music collections?

The closest thing I have come to thinking of, haven't implemented, is print out the list of songs onto a textfile via command prompt for both her and my collections, import them into excel and do a vlookup test for all the songs. The main drawback here is I am not able to print just the song names - it prints the whole folder structure and that's not a good thing for vlookups because her folder structure is different than mine.

Any tips?

I would totally spend like $50 to have someone do this for me as my stupid stupid stupid ocd has kept me from listening to my music for 2+ years now and it's just stupid.

Also, Godfather for the win for batch organizing music.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Re: Music Organization.. suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 07:38:35 PM »
That's a lot of music.  :king: :king:

Have someone write a little program in any language.
Your program can compare your first song to your friends first song, if there's a match then delete your song, if not compare to your friends second song. After testing your first song to all of your friends songs then go to your second song and do the same thing till you tested all your songs against your friends.
It'll be 2 nested loops and the number of camparisons will be your number of songs times the number of songs your friend has. It would be good to put both lists of songs into two text files like notepad.

This would be a simple program I'm thinking.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 07:44:06 PM »
Here's a nice site where your question will probably be addressed appropriately.

http://www.cprogramming.com/board.html

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 10:00:11 PM »

Your program can compare your first song to your friends first song, if there's a match then delete your song, if not compare to your friends second song. After testing your first song to all of your friends songs then go to your second song and do the same thing till you tested all your songs against your friends.
It'll be 2 nested loops and the number of camparisons will be your number of songs times the number of songs your friend has. It would be good to put both lists of songs into two text files like notepad.

I had a shell script do this when I was running debian but it was for two versions of my own collection so I knew the naming convention and the folder heirarchy. I suppose I could try writing a python script that does the same, I just don't know if it'll be able to match.. wait, can't I access a field of the file? Like just compare the title of the song and not just the filename? that might work, at least should be able to give me like 75% positive which would be worth it. But then again, excel vlookup function does a similar thing if I can figure out a way to obtain the property of each file - in fact that would solve the problem with just excel and nothing else.

Thanks for the website, I'll check it out.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 10:10:45 PM »

I had a shell script do this when I was running debian but it was for two versions of my own collection so I knew the naming convention and the folder heirarchy. I suppose I could try writing a python script that does the same, I just don't know if it'll be able to match.. wait, can't I access a field of the file? Like just compare the title of the song and not just the filename? that might work, at least should be able to give me like 75% positive which would be worth it. But then again, excel vlookup function does a similar thing if I can figure out a way to obtain the property of each file - in fact that would solve the problem with just excel and nothing else.

Thanks for the website, I'll check it out.

How can you just compare the titles? There me a lot of differences in spellings  :Confused:

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 06:09:40 AM »

Would it be best to write the program in Fortran or Cobol?
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 08:54:26 AM »

Would it be best to write the program in Fortran or Cobol?

Any language would do.