Author Topic: Wimbledon 2011: grunting tennis players are spoiling the game  (Read 2760 times)

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
Re: Wimbledon 2011: grunting tennis players are spoiling the game
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2011, 06:10:35 AM »
Chris said don't talk about it and it will go away.

:whistle:

1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2011, 06:25:04 AM »
....or we could go with option B and discuss it more. :))

I think the whole issue of intent is completely irrelevant.  As I've said before, it's a hinder, plain and simple.  Some fans also find it extremely unpleasant and plan their tennis attendace/viewing accordingly.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline garion

• Tennis God
  • Vamos!!!
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2011, 12:51:13 PM »
....or we could go with option B and discuss it more. :))

I think the whole issue of intent is completely irrelevant.  As I've said before, it's a hinder, plain and simple.  Some fans also find it extremely unpleasant and plan their tennis attendace/viewing accordingly.
I agree. Sorry, Chris but it is just plain annoying. That's part of the reason why I'm not a fan of Sharapova, Williams, Azarenka. And why watching Clijsters and Li and others is really nice.

I know Nadal sometimes bothers people but it's just not the same as the women's screams. And I have to admit, seeing/hearing Fed is really nice. He's so quiet. Just imagine the men's tour and lots of the men doing Karate screams as they play. It would be horrible.

Sadly, the WTA won't do anything about it no matter how much the fans and press say it's terrible.

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2011, 10:19:12 AM »
If you've got to scream to hit the ball, you've got problems. It's technique and skill that wins matches, not shrieking.

LOL, at conchita calling it 'roaring'. :rofl_2:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2011, 03:44:16 PM »
The thing about it is that if you want any of these 'screamers'....you'll see several points where they won't say (scream) on any point!  Then later they'll start it over.  Which means, they really DON'T have to scream.

And what is still silly is that you'll see them hit a hard forehand screaming...then the next shot might be a 'drop shop' - and the scream was louder :rofl_2:

Offline rogan

• New Poster
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2012, 07:46:51 PM »
I hate the loud grunting shrills too.  The sound level does not make the ball go further or more pace. Exhaling upon contact is taught and understandable but the loudness it not necessary. You can call it whatever you want or me but it is not necessary.  It is always a relief to see a player who does lose so I can then watch the tournament.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2012, 08:57:41 PM »
Just a complete lack of sportsmanship.  Period.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2012, 10:07:03 PM »
the good old days, Navratilova in 1992 after losing to Seles in the semi, then forcing the Wimby officials to keep Seles quiet in the final vs Graf. the noise and also the lenght of the roar is a disadvantage to the opponent player.
yes, I remember it too. Seles didn't grunt and she lost that match. everything started with Seles. there are theories that she was trained that way, but there theories that that's the way she was. now, I didn't have a big issue back in '90s with Seles, but then every single female player wanted to be like her so they started screaming and I don't even watch the WTA matches any more (some odd ones here and there) ...

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2012, 10:14:46 PM »
Just a complete lack of sportsmanship.  Period.
well, I agree but nobody does anything about it. how come that guys are simply natural ... they'll grunt a little bit when they get really tired because of long rallies, but it never bothered me at all . but, again, girls are not grunting, THEY ARE SCREAMING  :\ ... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH, EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEH,
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 10:15:49 PM by Alex »

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2012, 10:21:33 AM »
This ties in with another thread discussing the 'acceptance' and 'tolerance' of today's pros.  It's almost like they're all working for the same company and to rock the boat or create conflict would not be accepted. 

CONK da ball!!!

Offline Imsda

• Tennis Player
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2012, 06:07:07 PM »
I have to agree, it can get really annoying and very irratating to.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2012, 08:14:50 PM »
If we had some consistent players I wouldn't mind the grunting as much.
But who do we have? Hardly any rivalries.

If they were silent it wouldn't help for me, I don't feel any interest in players winning a slam then doing nothing for long periods.

Check out Chris Evert's career and Martina too, now that was interesting and many would talk about those two who weren't even die hard tennis fans. 

Offline medwatt

• Tennis God
  • I am the most beautiful
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2012, 09:20:29 PM »
It destroys the ATP too!!
The world awaits no genius

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2012, 10:29:10 PM »

If they were silent it wouldn't help for me, I don't feel any interest in players winning a slam then doing nothing for long periods.

Check out Chris Evert's career and Martina too, now that was interesting and many would talk about those two who weren't even die hard tennis fans.

Navratilova and Evert were/are ladies. they used to leave some little paper messages to one another after their matches ... 

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2012, 05:08:56 AM »

Completely baffled by the rationale behind these statements.
Being consistent is somehow related to grunting tolerance?
Being silent and winning a slam equates to a lack of interest?

I need to get my glasses checked.....
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2012, 05:10:00 AM »

Navratilova and Evert were/are ladies. they used to leave some little paper messages to one another after their matches ...
Oh, I could have some fun with this one......... :zipped:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2012, 11:48:37 AM »

and the messages read:

"i beat you b**ch! yay!"

"i beat you 5 times in a row before this match b**ch! yay!"
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Bazcovic

• Tennis God
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2012, 12:31:21 PM »
Azarenka is out. Minus 40 dB. Plus 50,000 spectators.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2012, 02:08:09 PM »

and the messages read:

"i beat you b**ch! yay!"

"i beat you 5 times in a row before this match b**ch! yay!"
You're much more high-minded than I am. :Devil:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2012, 06:13:13 PM »
Azarenka is out. Minus 40 dB. Plus 50,000 spectators.
lolz Buz. that's a good one. I was scared, and I  watched the match with sound completely off. now, Dallas can whine as much as she wants too, but I'm so happy that Screamarenka is out ... If I had some power, I would make all girls to wear some duck tape, over their mouth of course, before a match  :king: