Tennis Discussions > Tennis Discussions

Young Generation

(1/14) > >>

williamchung7:
There are new generations come out this year. However, I only know Harrison and Tomic.

Bernard Tomic reaches his first GS QF ever in his career.  His forehand perhaps one of the strangest forehand in recent years. Its motion for me looks like he touch the ball very gental and smooth. First time I saw it, I doubt he can generate pace and speed for winners. But this wimbledon proves that I am wrong. His forehand has great speed and very flat. A lot of winners come from his forehand side. He has solid backhand with great cross-court angle and he is good to play down the line shot with his both wing. The thing is he is still developing his tennis.

Like he is 193 cm tall, he should able to serve 210 220km 1st serve. Now his 1st serve speed is below it and his second serve is around 150 160km. He improves his movement, but it is still not enough for becoming top player. He has good slice shot and he is not fear go to play volley. His groundstroke is still developing. These considerations simply turn me he can be danger player in the future. He is talent player and he is only 18 years old.

But who know? Let see for next 2-3 years.

About Harrison, I am not familiar with Harrison. Does anyone want to share his/her considerations? 

Babblelot:
Haven't seen enough of either, but I'm sure you guys will accurately assess their chances after watching a few sets.

I've seen more of Raonic, and he's already 1-1 in ATP finals. But Raonic is turning into another giant with health issues. Since his early success this year, he's been nursing injuries. TBD

williamchung7:
Tomic eyes top 30
14/7/2011 2:58 PM
Vince Rugari
Sportal
Related Links
Aussies given Fed test
Rising star Bernard Tomic has set his sights on reaching the top 30 in the ATP Rankings by the end of the year.

Tomic made a surprise appearance at Gold Coast Titans training on Monday morning at Robina, showing his support to his hometown rugby league team accompanied by childhood friend and former mixed doubles partner Eden Cartwright - the daughter of Titans coach John Cartwright.

Fresh off the plane from Beijing, Tomic last week represented his country at Australia's Davis Cup Asia-Oceania tie against China and overcame a second-set blip to beat Ze Zhang 6-3 5-7 6-4 6-4.

That continued his rich vein of form which started with his sensational run at Wimbledon, reaching the last eight on his way to becoming Australia's highest ranked tennis player.

The 18-year-old will spend the next two to three weeks on the Gold Coast before flying over to Montreal in Canada to kick off the summer hardcourt season ahead of the US Open in August.

But Tomic, currently ranked No.72 in the world, confirmed his lofty ambitions by declaring his intent to continue climbing the international tennis ladder at breakneck speed.

"I've got hardly any (points to defend) so I've got six months where I can play a lot of tournaments and improve my ranking," he said.

"If I keep playing the way I'm playing and I stay healthy I can make the top 30 by the end of the year. If I play like this I've got a good chance."

"But I've got to stay healthy and fit and not have any injuries this year."

Expectations will be high for Tomic's US Open campaign after his rapid rise to fame, particularly given his preference for playing on hardcourt.

But showing his undoubted natural talent is complemented by a level head and mature outlook on his career, it won't be the end of the world for him if he cannot replicate his Wimbledon heroics.

"If I can have another run like I did in Wimbledon it'd be good but if not, I've got to keep my head down and train a bit more," he said.

"I knew sooner or later I'd have the ability to do it, it was just a matter of when. It's so tough these days on the men's tour and it was difficult for me to make that break due to my young age."

"But I'm happy with the way I did it and I got through in the end. I think I've made that transition."

"As long as you stay on the right track, do the right things and enjoy what you're doing you'll have a good career ahead of you."

For now though, Tomic is happy to simply kick back and enjoy some well-earned time off on his native Gold Coast.

"I'm really excited and happy to be back and to have a bit of time off. I really enjoy the times that I come and have these sort of little breaks. They're really good and fire you up for the next season," he said.

"This is where I grew up. My dream was to always travel the world and play tennis but if you have a bit of time off it's really good to come back home and see your family."

Photograph Copyright : Getty Images

williamchung7:

--- Quote from: Babblelot on July 04, 2011, 10:24:15 AM ---Haven't seen enough of either, but I'm sure you guys will accurately assess their chances after watching a few sets.

I've seen more of Raonic, and he's already 1-1 in ATP finals. But Raonic is turning into another giant with health issues. Since his early success this year, he's been nursing injuries. TBD

--- End quote ---

I watched entire match between Harrison and Lu on LA open. Currently, Harrion weakness is his groundstroke is still developing. He need bigger forehand hand and backhand down the line shot. Lu almost control every groundstroke while he made more errors during the match. The credit is Harrison defence well and his fighting attitude.

Babblelot:

--- Quote from: williamchung7 on July 30, 2011, 10:19:15 AM ---
--- Quote from: Babblelot on July 04, 2011, 10:24:15 AM ---Haven't seen enough of either, but I'm sure you guys will accurately assess their chances after watching a few sets.

--- End quote ---

I watched entire match between Harrison and Lu on LA open. Currently, Harrion weakness is his groundstroke is still developing. He need bigger forehand hand and backhand down the line shot. Lu almost control every groundstroke while he made more errors during the match. The credit is Harrison defence well and his fighting attitude.

--- End quote ---

I didn't watch the match, but from previous matches, I noticed that Harrison's FH was huge as was his serve. His BH is pretty weak, though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version