Author Topic: Young Generation  (Read 4009 times)

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
Young Generation
« on: July 04, 2011, 10:01:21 AM »
There are new generations come out this year. However, I only know Harrison and Tomic.

Bernard Tomic reaches his first GS QF ever in his career.  His forehand perhaps one of the strangest forehand in recent years. Its motion for me looks like he touch the ball very gental and smooth. First time I saw it, I doubt he can generate pace and speed for winners. But this wimbledon proves that I am wrong. His forehand has great speed and very flat. A lot of winners come from his forehand side. He has solid backhand with great cross-court angle and he is good to play down the line shot with his both wing. The thing is he is still developing his tennis.

Like he is 193 cm tall, he should able to serve 210 220km 1st serve. Now his 1st serve speed is below it and his second serve is around 150 160km. He improves his movement, but it is still not enough for becoming top player. He has good slice shot and he is not fear go to play volley. His groundstroke is still developing. These considerations simply turn me he can be danger player in the future. He is talent player and he is only 18 years old.

But who know? Let see for next 2-3 years.

About Harrison, I am not familiar with Harrison. Does anyone want to share his/her considerations? 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 11:55:09 PM by williamchung7 »

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
Re: Young Generation - Bernard Tomic & Ryan Harrison
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 10:24:15 AM »
Haven't seen enough of either, but I'm sure you guys will accurately assess their chances after watching a few sets.

I've seen more of Raonic, and he's already 1-1 in ATP finals. But Raonic is turning into another giant with health issues. Since his early success this year, he's been nursing injuries. TBD
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 12:51:18 AM »
Tomic eyes top 30
14/7/2011 2:58 PM
Vince Rugari
Sportal
Related Links
Aussies given Fed test
Rising star Bernard Tomic has set his sights on reaching the top 30 in the ATP Rankings by the end of the year.

Tomic made a surprise appearance at Gold Coast Titans training on Monday morning at Robina, showing his support to his hometown rugby league team accompanied by childhood friend and former mixed doubles partner Eden Cartwright - the daughter of Titans coach John Cartwright.

Fresh off the plane from Beijing, Tomic last week represented his country at Australia's Davis Cup Asia-Oceania tie against China and overcame a second-set blip to beat Ze Zhang 6-3 5-7 6-4 6-4.

That continued his rich vein of form which started with his sensational run at Wimbledon, reaching the last eight on his way to becoming Australia's highest ranked tennis player.

The 18-year-old will spend the next two to three weeks on the Gold Coast before flying over to Montreal in Canada to kick off the summer hardcourt season ahead of the US Open in August.

But Tomic, currently ranked No.72 in the world, confirmed his lofty ambitions by declaring his intent to continue climbing the international tennis ladder at breakneck speed.

"I've got hardly any (points to defend) so I've got six months where I can play a lot of tournaments and improve my ranking," he said.

"If I keep playing the way I'm playing and I stay healthy I can make the top 30 by the end of the year. If I play like this I've got a good chance."

"But I've got to stay healthy and fit and not have any injuries this year."

Expectations will be high for Tomic's US Open campaign after his rapid rise to fame, particularly given his preference for playing on hardcourt.

But showing his undoubted natural talent is complemented by a level head and mature outlook on his career, it won't be the end of the world for him if he cannot replicate his Wimbledon heroics.

"If I can have another run like I did in Wimbledon it'd be good but if not, I've got to keep my head down and train a bit more," he said.

"I knew sooner or later I'd have the ability to do it, it was just a matter of when. It's so tough these days on the men's tour and it was difficult for me to make that break due to my young age."

"But I'm happy with the way I did it and I got through in the end. I think I've made that transition."

"As long as you stay on the right track, do the right things and enjoy what you're doing you'll have a good career ahead of you."

For now though, Tomic is happy to simply kick back and enjoy some well-earned time off on his native Gold Coast.

"I'm really excited and happy to be back and to have a bit of time off. I really enjoy the times that I come and have these sort of little breaks. They're really good and fire you up for the next season," he said.

"This is where I grew up. My dream was to always travel the world and play tennis but if you have a bit of time off it's really good to come back home and see your family."

Photograph Copyright : Getty Images

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 10:19:15 AM »
Haven't seen enough of either, but I'm sure you guys will accurately assess their chances after watching a few sets.

I've seen more of Raonic, and he's already 1-1 in ATP finals. But Raonic is turning into another giant with health issues. Since his early success this year, he's been nursing injuries. TBD

I watched entire match between Harrison and Lu on LA open. Currently, Harrion weakness is his groundstroke is still developing. He need bigger forehand hand and backhand down the line shot. Lu almost control every groundstroke while he made more errors during the match. The credit is Harrison defence well and his fighting attitude.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 12:33:03 PM »

I watched entire match between Harrison and Lu on LA open. Currently, Harrion weakness is his groundstroke is still developing. He need bigger forehand hand and backhand down the line shot. Lu almost control every groundstroke while he made more errors during the match. The credit is Harrison defence well and his fighting attitude.

I didn't watch the match, but from previous matches, I noticed that Harrison's FH was huge as was his serve. His BH is pretty weak, though.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 12:39:50 PM »

I didn't watch the match, but from previous matches, I noticed that Harrison's FH was huge as was his serve. His BH is pretty weak, though.

So like your game?
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 12:51:24 PM »

So like your game?

Almost, he's not as quick. He'd give you a good run for your money, though.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 01:00:04 PM »
I do not like Tomic. I do not like his personality. I'm too lazy to explain why but if you google his name you'll get a hint. I do like Harrison. I am not talking about their tennis skills. I do hope that Harrison will be a multiple GS champion.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 01:03:55 PM »

I'm watching the replay, now, william. I see what you are saying. At times, his groundies do look very weak and Lu is dictating, just as you said. Those are typically his return games. He can go big with the FH when he controls the point, otherwise he's pretty defensive.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 01:07:23 PM by Babblelot »

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 09:40:02 PM »
I do not like Tomic. I do not like his personality. I'm too lazy to explain why but if you google his name you'll get a hint. I do like Harrison. I am not talking about their tennis skills. I do hope that Harrison will be a multiple GS champion.

I did google his name but couldn't find a hint. On  the other hand, I googled Amy Winehouse and read her biography only to find out that, she did not have one single episode that would lead her to drugs and alcohol  at an early age and to her eventual death; on top of that, she was not a very nice person yet you worship her. Look, the truth is, we are going to stay blind about the person whom we love so much that there's nothing he or she can do wrong; yet stay so highly critical of the person we hate so much and for no apparent reason even when he or she did nothing wrong or even remotely wrong. Who's perfect? are you?
You are everything I am not.

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 04:56:59 AM »

I'm watching the replay, now, william. I see what you are saying. At times, his groundies do look very weak and Lu is dictating, just as you said. Those are typically his return games. He can go big with the FH when he controls the point, otherwise he's pretty defensive.
Yes, that is area he need to improve.

For Tomic, I would like to say his movement and reflex are not well and need to be improved if he want to be World No.1 and win Slam.
But he has really really really good slice which always low and various. It help him to win some time during ralley.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 12:04:54 PM by williamchung7 »

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 11:17:38 AM »
Profile: Bernard Tomic - Age 18

Plays with a double-handed backhand...Started playing tennis aged seven...Father, John, started work driving taxis; mother, Ady, was a biomedical scientist; sister, Sara, also plays tennis...Favourite surface is grass...Idols growing up were Pete Sampras, Lance Armstrong, Ian Thorpe and Michael Jordan...Hobbies include basketball, football and table tennis...Likes Eminem and 50 Cent...As a junior he won the 2008 Australian Open - aged 15, the youngest player in tournament history - 2009 US Open titles and the under-12, under-14 and under-16 Orange Bowls...Made his Davis Cup debut for Australia in 2009...Coached by his father, John.

Profile: Ryan Harrison - Age 19

Began playing at age two...Nicknamed "Harry"...Father, Pat, played collegiate tennis at Oklahoma State and Mississippi before a brief pro career in futures and challengers... Mother, Susie...Oldest of three children in family; brother, Christian (born 29 May 1994) and sister, Madison (15 December 1996)...Christian is also a tennis player, and Ryan calls him, "very good. Best in the world for his age"...At age 11, Ryan entered Shreveport City Championships and reached final, where he lost to his dad...In 2005, family moved to Texas and his dad became head pro at John Newcombe's Tennis Academy in New Braunfels where he now trains...Grandfather, Jimmy, was running back at Louisiana Tech, earning All-American honors in 1949...Considers grass favorite surface...Also a big New Orleans Saints fan, watched 2010 Super Bowl with Devin Britton with Drew Brees jerseys...Likes rock music, and Lifehouse is his favorite band...Reached a career-high No. 7 in world junior rankings in April 2008...Advanced to semi-finals at Australian Open juniors in '08...Family moved to the Nick Bollettieri Tennis Academy in 2008 where he now lives and trains...Coached by his Scott McCain (since May 2011).

Profile: Milos Raonic - Age 20

Plays with two-handed backhand…Speaks Serbian and English...Moved from Podgorica, Montenegro to Canada aged three…Parents are Dusan and Vesna (both engineers); sister, Jelena and brother, Momir…Started playing tennis aged eight…His dad "used a ball machine at 6:30 a.m. or 9:00 p.m. because court fees were a lot cheaper at this time"…Was among the first group of players to join Tennis Canada's National Training Centre in Montreal when it was opened in 2007...Favourite surface is hard courts...Favourite shots are serve and overhead (coypcat!  :)~ )...Hobbies include watching movies and talking to family on Skype...Supports Real Madrid (soccer) and Toronto Raptors (basketball)...Idol growing up was Pete Sampras, "I video-taped all his televised matches"…Career goal is to be a "consistent Top 50 player with Top 10 aspirations"...Made Davis Cup debut for Canada versus Colombia in March 2010…Coached by former ATP pro Galo Blanco (since October 2010)…

Profile: Alexandr Dolgopolov - Age 22

Began playing at age three...Nickname is "Dolgo" or "The Dog" by players in the locker room...Mother, Elena, was an ex-gymnast who earned a gold and silver medal at the European Championships...Father, Oleksandar, was a former ATP pro and coached Oleksander Jr from a young age until 2008...Also has a younger sister, Maria...Speaks Russian and English...Hobbies include car racing, driving his Subaru STIL and making internet games, which he is paid for...Favourite surface is clay...Ambition is to be ranked No. 1...Identifies his father as the most inspirational person in his life for helping become the tennis player that he is...If he wasn't a tennis player he would be Rally Car Driver as he loves to race...Made Davis Cup debut in September 2006.

You can clearly see Tomic with the most potential there. 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 11:18:54 AM by Emma »

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 11:01:27 AM »
Raonic is apparently a big Pete which is so sweet and even sweeter when he says things like, ""I video-taped all his televised matches"…" even I didn't do that. I wasn't too keen on video taping his matches where he lost. Pete is absolutely the right kind of person to be idolized. Raonic is apparently a big Pete fan which is so sweet and even sweeter when he says things like, ""I video-taped all his televised matches"…" even I didn't do that. I wasn't too keen on video taping his matches where he lost. lolol. Pete is absolutely the right kind of person to be idolized. No temper tantrum, no mocking of players oncourt or cheating points, no taking advantage of the rules or distort them even and a gracious loser all 'n all. That's together with his awesome game and a "I let my racquet do the talking" oncourt persona. Till today, he remained just as gracious even wehn his record was broken almost immediately; no disrespecting the past champions either. Hopefully Raonic is not only adopting his game but his overall attitude as well.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 11:24:35 AM »
Dolgopolov: got 1 ATP title and that's on clay and clay being his favourite surface, makes sense; however, he bombed out of RG this year to Troicki in the 3rd round. Rankwise he's 21. Will break into top 20 any time soon perhaps? Best showing AO qtr where he went out to Murray, the eventual finalist but beat two top ten players just before, Tsonga and Soderling.

Raonic: 1 title so far and on hard. Best performance so far was at the 2011 AO where he went out to Ferrer in Round 16. Ranked 27 at the moment. With the injuries and all, hard to say if he'd be able to move up his ranking this year at all. May just slide down instead.

Tomic: No career titles so far; hasn't made any final either. Best performance at Wimbledon qtr final this year. Went out to the eventual champion Novak. Ranked 68 at the moment. With a good showing at the USO and the Masters, he might break into top 30 - who knows.

Harrison: No title, no finals. Ranked 76. Best showing I'd say Indian Wells where he beat a handful of good players like Chardy, Garcia-Lopez, Raonic etc. and then finally went out to Federer. He's having a good year this year overall and will probably pick up a lot more next year.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 09:50:51 PM »

Harrison: No title, no finals. Ranked 76. Best showing I'd say Indian Wells where he beat a handful of good players like Chardy, Garcia-Lopez, Raonic etc. and then finally went out to Federer. He's having a good year this year overall and will probably pick up a lot more next year.

Harrison made back-to-back semis this summer.

You're highlighting Tomic's Juniors accomplishments!   :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 10:59:15 AM »

Harrison made back-to-back semis this summer.

You're highlighting Tomic's Juniors accomplishments!   :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

I went with Harrison's Indian Wells results as his best thus far because first, this was a much bigger tournament; 2nd, he beat a number of great players there as opposed to those two semis, where he beat players not as noteworthy and the tournaments were smaller; on top of that, he went out to the same player in both semis: Mardy Fish.

As to Tomic, all the top players now had a great showing in their juniors so it's more of a deciding factor for me to predict one's future rather than to go with someone's two months resutls. Tomic is and will always be much more consistent than let's say Raonic and that's because one, Tomic is a better mover which prevents him from tennis related injuries unlike Raonic who is heavily prone to injuries; 2nd, Tomic has no hype no pressure. People aren't expecting huge from him and there's no 70+ waiting period on him. It's been already done and dealt with. Tomic is also mentally tougher of the four mentioned above. Typcially he tends to go out to the better player and there's no shame in that. I am no fan but it is what it is.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 11:02:47 AM by Emma »

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 01:19:08 AM »
[youtube]HculvsylcVk[/youtube]

Personally, I really like the way Harrison is playing. He will have really good aggressive tennis style if he able to continue improving and free injure.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 01:21:40 AM by williamchung7 »

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2011, 01:32:33 AM »
And I just check some of his 1st serve speed, fastest serve 137mhp. But what I like his serve is placement, he really like to serve to T corner.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2011, 01:38:16 AM »
Yeah, weren't we talking about Harrison v. Lu a few weeks ago. I agreed with you that Harrison didn't play the way I had remembered him. He's looked a lot better since. Big serve and big FH. Scrapy. Tenacious. Can come to net. Will have to see how much of a liability the BH is.

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2011, 02:59:31 AM »
Yeah, weren't we talking about Harrison v. Lu a few weeks ago. I agreed with you that Harrison didn't play the way I had remembered him. He's looked a lot better since. Big serve and big FH. Scrapy. Tenacious. Can come to net. Will have to see how much of a liability the BH is.

He played like Federer in this match except he is double backhand.
Is he a Federer fan?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 03:00:19 AM by williamchung7 »