Would You Want To Live Forever?

Of Course!
1 (25%)
No, Just Let Nature Take It's course.
2 (50%)
Haven't Thought About It.
1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Would You Want To Live Forever?  (Read 1757 times)

Offline foaquin

• Tennis Pro
Re: Would You Want To Live Forever?
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2011, 12:26:00 PM »
Wonder if this is what folks were thinking when a huge percentage of mothers died during childbirth back in the day. Or the fact that a big chunk of babies didn't make it past their first birthday due to diseases and other problems. When people used to die of malaria and the common cold or tb. Or when the thought of a kidney transplant was as alien as thinking about.. a kidney transplant.

Yes, Science has helped a lot. has made life a lot easier. but I think it's better not to play to be God.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2011, 12:38:09 PM »
Science won't beable to extend our lives forever. Accidents will get us sooner or later.

Then there's the universe, a stray asteroid can ruin anyone's day fairly quickly and in dramatic fashion.
God does have his safety net you know.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2011, 01:12:10 PM »
Science won't beable to extend our lives forever. Accidents will get us sooner or later.

Then there's the universe, a stray asteroid can ruin anyone's day fairly quickly and in dramatic fashion.
God does have his safety net you know.

Exactly...you can NEVER play with nature...nature is bigger, better and far more than what the human mind can conceive, she knows how to get back at you.

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2011, 01:41:31 PM »
Of course. Doesn't mean we just throw our hands up in the air and stop the next 80 year old you see and say "Hold tight buddy, any minute now you'll be history and no one can help you!" Our aim has been to understand "nature" and do our best to control as much as we can and make the best of our talents. I am not saying we are all going to live forever, as Swish said, eventualy the accdients will catch up to us, but doesn't mean we shouldn't try and be optimistic about and strive for something. A few centuries ago it might have been learning to amputate an injured arm to prevent spread of infection and thus extend someone's life another few years. And now, if the goal is to be able to live forever, then so be it. We should go for it. Obviously we can't avoid the inevitable and what's not in our control but we do our best. And the path we take is through medicine to fight aging and diseases, technology to improve safety (and yes swish, that could mean Asteroid detection and avoidance tech too.. don't they now have something in Japan that detects earthquakes a few instances before it actually happens?? ) And to say that we shouldn't meddle with GOD and nature is just throwing your hands up and giving up. And if we had done that we would still be living in the pre-reniassance era.

Sure in the end, NATURE or GOD is what created us, if we run out of answers, we always have that to go to. Who doesn't love a good mystery and the prospect of an omnipresent destiny-writer who watches and controls everything? If I went to a psychiatrist and told her I had problems but didn't know what they were, I would most definitely be pissed if she also said she didn't know, I would much rather come home with some diagnosis so I can either blame my life on it or work to overcome it.

We always have the GOD answer (the GOD delusion?), but to give up just because we can't eventually overcome this giganormous force? Well I am not sure that's the reason GOD has sent us and kept us and blessed us here for.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2011, 01:46:32 PM »
^^^yes, I am talking about the topic in hand and you are talking about ethics. Of course one should try to do his best....a doctor should do his best to save a patient, just that he can never make him live forever.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2011, 02:35:04 PM »
^^^yes, I am talking about the topic in hand and you are talking about ethics. Of course one should try to do his best....a doctor should do his best to save a patient, just that he can never make him live forever.

fair enough, i suppose i did deviate from the topic. but I still don't see why you say that last.. if a doctor should do his best to save a patient, isn't the logical reason and the next logical step be to extend that patient's life? and if we are striving to extend someone's life, why not shoot to try and make someone live forever? who cares if it happens or not, why is it wrong to shoot for it?

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2011, 02:41:21 PM »

fair enough, i suppose i did deviate from the topic. but I still don't see why you say that last.. if a doctor should do his best to save a patient, isn't the logical reason and the next logical step be to extend that patient's life? and if we are striving to extend someone's life, why not shoot to try and make someone live forever? who cares if it happens or not, why is it wrong to shoot for it?

I am saying that he can try all he wants, but he will not succeed. Whether he should or not is a diff topic altogether.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2011, 02:47:45 PM »

I am saying that he can try all he wants, but he will not succeed. Whether he should or not is a diff topic altogether.

That was my original point. Why are we deciding that he'll not succeed when in the past we have succeeded in doing many things that were also once deemed un-succeedable.  :)

Offline foaquin

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2011, 03:00:02 PM »
 Because according to logic/ religion/, humans are not everlasting. To defeat death is un-succeedable.

Offline foaquin

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2011, 03:01:57 PM »
It's as impossible as time-traveling.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2011, 03:48:01 PM »

time-travel depending on how you define it, is possible and happens at a very small scale on a macro-scale - eg, everytime astronauts go into space and come back. It is also mathematically possible and I believe observable at a quantum level (someone back me up on this please?) :)

Because according to logic/ religion/, humans are not everlasting. To defeat death is un-succeedable.

The same could be said about humans not being able to fly a 100 years ago, we found a way around that. maybe we can find a way around this one too? theoretically we have already pushed the borders of "everlasting" by extending so many people's lives. Do you think its possible that maybe somehow people can live to be 200-300 years old? That's not "forever" but do you think we should try and shoot for that maybe?

ok i am going to stop with my posts, i think this is really interesting but i feel like i'm just being annoying, I hope you guys realize that's not my point. I understand where you are coming from but I just want to make the point that to start something with the fundamental assumption that it is impossible is not necessarily the right way to approach anything, and if that's not the right way to start, why are we even bothering to go in that direction? And if we are bothering to go in that direction, to challenge the impossible so to speak, well we've come a long way in the last few centuries, so why not dream further ahead? 

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2011, 03:59:07 PM »

time-travel depending on how you define it, is possible and happens at a very small scale on a macro-scale - eg, everytime astronauts go into space and come back. It is also mathematically possible and I believe observable at a quantum level (someone back me up on this please?) :)

The same could be said about humans not being able to fly a 100 years ago, we found a way around that. maybe we can find a way around this one too? theoretically we have already pushed the borders of "everlasting" by extending so many people's lives. Do you think its possible that maybe somehow people can live to be 200-300 years old? That's not "forever" but do you think we should try and shoot for that maybe?

ok i am going to stop with my posts, i think this is really interesting but i feel like i'm just being annoying, I hope you guys realize that's not my point. I understand where you are coming from but I just want to make the point that to start something with the fundamental assumption that it is impossible is not necessarily the right way to approach anything, and if that's not the right way to start, why are we even bothering to go in that direction? And if we are bothering to go in that direction, to challenge the impossible so to speak, well we've come a long way in the last few centuries, so why not dream further ahead?

Time travel is not perceived rightly  by many actually. yes time travel is possible....futuristically speaking (both science and my religion supports this...although science hasn't achieved it in a macro level yet). Time travel doesn't mean sitting in a machine, push a button and you go the prehistoric era. Time travel means you are traveling in another dimension, so you 1 year may have already been 100,000 years in another dimension, so when you go to the other dimension, 100,000 years have passed within your one year. Anyway, there's a lot of science that one can do with relativity and logically arrive at it or one could just read up old scriptures that still exist in India (something that modern science calls mumbo jumbo  ..-)) that very much support s what I am exactly saying here.

I am not commenting on the second part now.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2011, 04:02:36 PM »
Ok, I might as well comment on the second part  :)~ Pawan, I want you to comment on this thread, it is indeed interesting for me as well as you, as I are from a scientific background, although I tend to philosophize things way more.

As for your post, yes man can  go on trying to extend life, and then? There has been evidence (once again in scriptures) that many men used to live for thousands of years, so yes I believe it is possible to live for a really really long time and I for one believe that science can do it. However, what is 'forever'? Till the end of world? Either way the term 'forever' is very very loosely used.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2011, 04:44:16 AM »
Imagine the host of challenges.
Over-population being the first one that comes to mind for me.

Imagine the societal changes.
If people live longer, can or would they become any more intelligent.

Fun stuff to think about.

CONK da ball!!!

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2011, 10:57:56 AM »
Imagine the host of challenges.
Over-population being the first one that comes to mind for me.

Imagine the societal changes.
If people live longer, can or would they become any more intelligent.

Fun stuff to think about.

Correct, overpopulation comes immediately to mind, coupled with dearth of food, water and natural resources. This would probably alsocreate policies such as no more children kind of stuff, which is really bad. But sometimes I think that if the longevity of man is reall extended to such an extent owing to advances in science, man will also find a way to establish himself or rather sutain himself in planets other than earth....fair enough to see that science may advance to that extent too  :)

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2011, 02:45:18 PM »
War - uh!

What is it good for?

Well, to be honest, overpopulation...

1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2011, 06:01:46 PM »
War - uh!

What is it good for?

Well, to be honest, overpopulation...
Interesting.
I wonder if there would be more or less WAR as lifespans lengthened?

I'm of the mind that there will be a cataclysmic event either man-made or natural within the next 100 years which will reduce the population by 3/4 or more and we will begin again.  Perhaps none the wiser.... :Confused:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2011, 07:47:52 PM »
If they get us up to a reasonable number like 200 healthy years there will be population problems.
So the easy thing to do is have a hundred year limit.

When you hit 100, off you go, you'll have a choice of method too.
I'd pick the Mariana trench myself.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2011, 04:35:42 AM »
If they get us up to a reasonable number like 200 healthy years there will be population problems.

I'd go for a moon shot myself. :))
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2011, 08:16:10 AM »

I'd go for a moon shot myself. :))

So basically buried... face down.  :cool: