Author Topic: Tips for Mental Toughness?  (Read 738 times)

Offline SimonSNET

• New Poster
  • SNET
Tips for Mental Toughness?
« on: May 24, 2012, 02:09:57 PM »
I've been playing competitive tennis for a number of years and something I have always struggled with is mental toughness. For example, sometimes on my second serve a sort of doubt creeps in my mind about double faulting and when that happens it becomes a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I'm sure you've heard that the mental aspect is a big part of the game but is maybe not talked about as much as technique. I'm wondering if there are little things other people to build mental toughness. Lately what I've been trying is when those moments of self-doubt happen I simply try to flood/distract my brain from it with a lot of positive self-talk, you know like 'come on' and such. It's almost like crowding out those negative thoughts.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
Re: Tips for Mental Toughness?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 08:03:45 PM »
Does the doubt come from lack of practice or poor technique?
Fear of losing the point or 'looking bad'?

Find the source of your doubt and you may be on the path to eliminating it.

For me it was mostly lack of practice which led to lack of confidence in the second delivery.  Look to generate plenty of spin.  This should help with both consistency and accuracy.

In the end remember this-  only by focusing soley on what you are doing can you control how you are doing.

Good luck and don't forget to have fun! :)
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Re: Tips for Mental Toughness?
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 05:54:15 AM »
Does the doubt come from lack of practice or poor technique?
Fear of losing the point or 'looking bad'?

Find the source of your doubt and you may be on the path to eliminating it.

For me it was mostly lack of practice which led to lack of confidence in the second delivery.  Look to generate plenty of spin.  This should help with both consistency and accuracy.

In the end remember this-  only by focusing soley on what you are doing can you control how you are doing.

Good luck and don't forget to have fun! :)

I have to echo this.  You need to focus on the point at hand, and that is it.  The last point does not matter, and the next point does not matter yet.  If you worry about any other point things can get messy. 
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com