Author Topic: getting a stringing machine  (Read 1870 times)

Offline thejackal

• Tennis God
getting a stringing machine
« on: June 17, 2005, 04:41:58 PM »
Thinking of getting the Gamma Progression II 602 http://www.atssports.com/Tennis.cfm?ProdID=267&secondary=31

I've heard good things about it and it's a damn good deal for the price.  Who here do their own rackets and what machines do you have?
official blogger

tennisconnected.com

Offline ImaMadGoat

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 07:05:33 PM »
I posted the same topic back in march and ended up buying the ATS super stringer II. It suites me well for what I need. The only difference between my machine and the one your looking at is the 6pt mounting vs. the 2 pt, everything else is the same. I believe the ATS stringer is $135. I've strung about 12 racquets so far with mine and no real problems at all. I find it pretty relaxing to just take an evening with a nice light beer and a racquet to string.

If your hell bent on the 6 pt system go for it...it is less stress on the frame, but I havent seen any problems with just using the 2pt system. All my racquets play great. Its also cool cause you can get into 2 peice hyrbid stringing which I think gives better performance. At least it does for me. I use Roddick's system except I use the much much cheaper Babolat super fine play 17 guage in the crosses rather than natty gut. But i use the pro hurricanes on the mains and I love em. They hold tension a lot better than ballistics do.

Right on with using ATS Sports. Ever since I bought my string I have purchased everything I need from these guys. They're prices are competetive with Tennis warehouse and they are a lot closer to NY than tennis warehouse is whcih means shorter time in shipping. Pay for ground and you get the package in 2-3 days....vs 5 days from cali.

Good Luck.
Constant Improvement, Relentless Effort.

http://www.3wisefools.com - The culmination of ridiculous banter and serious discussion.

Offline thejackal

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 07:24:50 PM »
I'm already into hybrids and such (amateur string nerd, lol).   A friend of my dad's suggested that machine (he's a certified coach) as he owns one and it has worked well for him.  What kinda free strings did u get with the machine?  They wouldn'
t let me pick which ones, a major bummer IMO.
official blogger

tennisconnected.com

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005, 08:05:41 PM »
I use the Klippermate, but I would much rather have what you are looking to get.  I was broke when I bought the Klippermate so I conserved money, although I do not mind it at all.  Next time around I will put some money forth for a better one.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline thejackal

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2005, 08:12:20 PM »
Scott, what kinda hassels did you run into with the Klippermate?  And do you have any tricks or tips about stringing that you can share?
official blogger

tennisconnected.com

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2005, 07:42:58 AM »
No real hassles I guess.  I would like a stringer that grabs the strings instead of wraps around a circle and then pulls.  Most stringers clamps the string and hold it that way, the klippermate kinda does.  What they have works and works fine, but my preference would still be a nicer stringer.

I guess the important thing is that when I pick up a racquet when I break strings in one that the new racquet doesn't feel any different.  I have never really noticed any difference in string tension.
Scott Baker

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2005, 06:26:43 PM »
I'm with Goat.  I have the predecessor to this one and it's worked just fine.  I've strung with it probably over 250 times, and no problems.  If you want to save $160 us dollars, you might want to consider it.  After a while, when you're breaking strings all the time, it becomes a drag stringing.  And I could see the extra mounting gear on the one you're getting making stringing seem even MORE like work.

Offline thejackal

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2005, 06:40:44 PM »
True, but i'd rather get a more expensive machine than risk losing a racket.  Beside, I might string for other people eventually (for mony of course  :))  ) and a better machine will probably make my job a bit easier.
official blogger

tennisconnected.com

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2005, 06:44:36 PM »
My machine is probably the cheapest one out there and it takes me 25 minutes to do a racquet while watching tv.  As long as you get use to what you have, it will make no difference.
Scott Baker

Offline thejackal

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2005, 06:47:44 PM »
Beside, my parents are set on the 6pt mounting, so I can't complain.  Anyone know what kinda free strings you get?  I don't think highly of Gamma, but free is free right?
official blogger

tennisconnected.com

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2005, 07:03:29 PM »
Quote from: "thejackal"
True, but i'd rather get a more expensive machine than risk losing a racket.  Beside, I might string for other people eventually (for mony of course  :))  ) and a better machine will probably make my job a bit easier.
I've strung for other people and you basically have nothing to worry about.  I guess the advantage of the one you want is that it WILL be more stable, but I actually think it won't make your job "easier" because of the extra set up.  

Like I said, after a while you sort of dread having to string 3 rackets when you just strung them 4 days ago, and all the extra points would only make it worse... for me anyways.  The simpler the better.

Everything else is the same.  Your stringer will hold the racket better, allow for less stress on the frame.  And probably 3 or 4 minutes more time securing the racket into place.  Ugh.  The part I hate the most about stringing is getting the racket into place and string in and measure properly.  Once I start it's not so bad.  I can watch TV and do it.

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2005, 07:06:07 PM »
Quote from: "thejackal"
Beside, my parents are set on the 6pt mounting, so I can't complain.
In that case... :).

I don't understand how some serious players don't have stringers.  It's so convenient and one of the best investments you'll ever make.  You basically save about $15 dollars on every string job (most places seem to charge wholesale cost of string + 15 dollars).

Offline thejackal

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2005, 07:37:09 PM »
Right now I order strings from tennis warehouse and get them done at $8 per job, so it's not that bad in the first place.  I average 3 weeks per hybrid.
official blogger

tennisconnected.com