Author Topic: should I take vitamins?  (Read 887 times)

Offline Teresa Owen

• New Poster
should I take vitamins?
« on: September 16, 2011, 03:43:05 PM »
I play tennis casually, maybe 3-4 times a week but it's been wearing me out lately and my joints feel sore. I'm seeing a massage therapist but I'm not really noticing any improvement. Do you think I should start taking like vitamins, stuff that athletes take? When I was in high school I played basketball, so I can say I'm actually a fit person and I'm in shape. Also, I have a balanced diet, I eat fish and red meat, vegetables...apparently that's not enough.
I've read that some pro tennis players take aceformula, i found the website, it's aceformula.com (not much of a detective work), and it says there that it's a safe, natural product, do you think I should give it a try? I don't have any experience with supplements, I don't know if they have side effects or not, so I could really use some help here. There's also creatine, but that's something bodybuilders take so I'm on a fence about that one.

Any suggestions you have, please reply.
Thanks everyone!

Offline oversee

• New Poster
Re: should I take vitamins?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
Personally I don't think there is anything magical about Aceformula. I would imagine that it is overpriced for what you get. If you look at the ingredients, it is mainly a few vitamins plus glucosamine and a few other common supplements. It is artificially sweetened and I try to avoid artificial sweeteners. Generally vitamins don't do much unless your diet is lacking in them. There aren't many vitamins in this supplement. If you felt you needed vitamins you would do better to take a standard vitamin and mineral supplement that would give you 100% of most vitamins and minerals. Glucosamine and Chondroitin are well known to be helpful in joint health, but you can get a supplement with both of those at any drugstore and in Aceformula you have no way of knowing how much of each is in the formula. Lutein is normally used for eye health. Alpha lipoic acid is good in regulating blood sugar.
If I were you, I would try a Glucosamine/ Chondroitin supplement along with a good Magnesium supplement - try to find one that isn't Magnesium Oxide - you will probably have to go to a vitamin store for it. Magnesium is very good for muscle recovery. If you decide to take a multi-vitamin, try not to get one that gives you much more than 100% of the RDA for each vitamin. I used to take a B supplement until I had a blood test that showed that I had way too much B6 in my body.
Everyone's idea of a balanced diet is different. If you are eating lots of green vegetables and meats and avoiding empty carbs like breads and sweets, then you are probably eating a healthy diet.
You are not a pro-athlete nor a bodybuilder, so you don't need creatine. I don't think a massage therapist will help with joint pain. Playing tennis 3 or 4 times a week is actually healthier for you than only playing on weekends. Maybe you should consider whether your sessions are too long for your body to handle. Depending on how aggressive your game is, an hour might be enough. You should never ignore joint pain. If it doesn't improve after taking the Glucosamine for a few months, then you should see a doctor.