Author Topic: Tom Cruise squirted by fake reporter!  (Read 5626 times)

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
Tom Cruise squirted by fake reporter!
« on: June 21, 2005, 03:15:17 PM »

Did you guys/gals hear about the reporter who gave Tom Cruise a fake microphone. It sprouted out water into Tom's face and he was pretty pissed. But he only called the guy a jerk a million times.
Here's the real story:

Tom Cruise Squirted By Fake Reporter
Police Arrest Four Men After Incident

Jun 20, 2005 8:04 am US/Eastern
LONDON (CBS) The usually mild-mannered Tom Cruise had an angry outburst on the red carpet.

The star had some harsh words for a group of men who pulled a prank on him, squirting him with water at the London premiere of his new movie, "War of the Worlds."

CBS News Correspondent Richard Roth points out that it was more than just a movie premiere. It was the London debut of an engagement that's now a whole weekend old, with Cruise and new fiancée Katie Holmes providing a glimpse at the diamond Cruise gave Holmes last Friday in Paris.

But romance wasn't the only distraction from the elaborately staged Hollywood promotion.

A prankster's fake microphone squirted Cruise with water.

The movie star kept his composure. But he displayed anger, and didn't appear to be acting, Roth says.

"What's so funny about that?" Cruise asked.

The prankster gave an inaudible answer.

"That's ridiculous," Cruise responded, getting visibly angry. "Do you like thinking less of people, is that it?"

Again, an inaudible reply from the prankster.

"You like doing mean things to people, is that it?" Cruise continued, as he wiped his face with his hand, then a blue shirt that he was given.

As the prankster turned to go, Cruise reached out and grabbed his hand.

"Hey, hey, hey," Cruise said. "No, don't run away. …It's incredibly rude. I'm here giving you an interview, and answering your questions, and you do something really nasty. You're a jerk. You're a jerk."

Cruise wiped his face again as the prankster said something else, then Cruise came back with, "Well, you know what? You're a jerk. …You ought to be ashamed of yourself."

With that, Cruise threw his hands up and, smiling, observed, "Amazing."

And as he walked away, the crowd yelled out, "Tom, Tom…"

The bogus interviewer and his camera crew, working for a local comedy show, were led away. They face assault charges, Roth says.

With a movie to promote, Cruise was quickly back on script, commenting about the film.

In "War of the Worlds," notes Roth, Cruise plays a divorced dad, facing alien invaders, who hopes to save his family, the world -- and a slumping Hollywood box office. This is not to be confused with real life, where he's a divorced dad facing enthusiastic fans who hopes to convince the world this romance is true love, which might, incidentally, provide a boost to the movie business.

I guess that it seemed like a good idea at the time for the prankster.
Be the change that you seek.

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 03:17:17 PM »
Yes, I totally agree with Cruise, for two reasons a) the joke was crude and unimaginative and b) you don't do that to someone you don't know- between friends, maybe, but not to a stranger.

Personally, if it had been me I might have punched the guy in the face, or maybe spat in his face- you simply don't do that to people- it was a poor joke.

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 03:25:28 PM »
Everyone was expecting Tom to punch the guy dead in the face, even the guy who did the prank, but Tom's a cool guy so it would be unnecessary for him to react violently.
Be the change that you seek.

Offline Belgian Miss

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 07:41:34 AM »
He isnt going to persecute them.  They apologised.  Nice people...

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 11:51:01 AM »
This the reason why I can't stand movie stars. They are so full of themselves and think the world revolves around them and their opinions. Especially in america we even allow movie stars to influence are poltical views. Somehow we belive that because they can get in front of a camera and say a few lines that that makes them super intelligent. It was a joke and it was just water, it wasn't that serious to make such and issue out of. It just kind of shows you how full of himself Tom cruise is, he takes himself way to seriously and expects everyone else to love him and take him seriously. I just don't like how we put movie stars high on a peddle stool and take them so seriously in America. And all they do is get a front of a camera, memorize some lines and say them.

Offline RainerShuttle

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 12:15:16 PM »
http://www.tampabays10.com/video/player.aspx?aid=18920&sid=15047&bw=hi

See the squirting in action. Tom Cruise trying to sound 'ard.

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2005, 06:11:43 PM »
This the reason why I can't stand movie stars. They are so full of themselves and think the world revolves around them and their opinions. Especially in america we even allow movie stars to influence are poltical views. Somehow we belive that because they can get in front of a camera and say a few lines that that makes them super intelligent. It was a joke and it was just water, it wasn't that serious to make such and issue out of. It just kind of shows you how full of himself Tom cruise is, he takes himself way to seriously and expects everyone else to love him and take him seriously. I just don't like how we put movie stars high on a peddle stool and take them so seriously in America. And all they do is get a front of a camera, memorize some lines and say them.

Doesn't matter is he's American- it is rude to squirt water in someone's face, especially if you don't know them. Come up to me in the street and do it, and you'll be lucky if I don't put you in hospital.

The joke was s**t and rude.

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2005, 01:38:57 AM »
When you put yourself in the public eye things like that can occur. It was a joke that probably would have aired on a blooper show. I could careless about him being squirted with water and if someone puts someone in the hospital from squirting water on them they have other issues to worry about. My issue is with how celebrities are idolized, if you put yourself in the public eye you should expect these kinds of things. It's clear that Tom cruise takes himself way seriously to get all bent out of shape over alittle water.

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2005, 05:04:31 AM »
When you put yourself in the public eye things like that can occur. It was a joke that probably would have aired on a blooper show. I could careless about him being squirted with water and if someone puts someone in the hospital from squirting water on them they have other issues to worry about. My issue is with how celebrities are idolized, if you put yourself in the public eye you should expect these kinds of things. It's clear that Tom cruise takes himself way seriously to get all bent out of shape over alittle water.

NO. It is a matter of principles- you don't do that to people you don't know; between friends is a different matter. The fact that he is a celebrity is irrelevant- he was being physically INTEFERED with by a fellow human being for no good reason, so why shouldn't he go mad at the guy.

Can't you undestand that it was the dickhead reporter that intefered with Cruise by squiriting him with water- he is the culprit, not Cruise.

The fact that Cruise is an idol is irrelevant because it is a matter of principles. I think your logic is twisted, probably because you simply don't like Cruise, where as my opinion is much more objective- I'm looking at the case and what happened, rather than what type of people are involved.

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2005, 08:36:31 AM »
I think he overreacted, it really is not something that is that big of a deal.

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2005, 09:17:45 AM »
I think he overreacted, it really is not something that is that big of a deal.

Maybe, but what the reporter did was still wrong. and not funny and not imaginative.

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2005, 09:45:03 AM »
Well I also dont know what the reporter was thinking.    It was not that funny as a joke, and there was always the risk of him being exploited, embarassed, and facing trouble, for basicaly nothing.

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2005, 09:57:51 AM »
Overreacted? There would be hell to pay if someone did that to me. It's incredibly rude, and what would one have to gain from it?

Offline timd818

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2005, 11:49:38 AM »
I don't like Tom Cruise, but that was a cruel thing to do to someone you don't know.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050625/ap_en_ce/people_cruise;_ylt=AvLH.AgvSsqjF1NZHbhTxH2s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3YXYwNDRrBHNlYwM3NjI-

I like him even less now after reading this article. Who is he to say how people should deal with their depression?
He thinks it's ok for him to judge people because he belongs in "Scientology".
I've been a tennis bum for half my life.
I'll just be a bum for the other half.

Offline BitterBlueBong

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2005, 12:15:43 PM »
Quote from: "timd818"
I like him even less now after reading this article. Who is he to say how people should deal with their depression? He thinks it's ok for him to judge people because he belongs in "Scientology".

He has taken this Scientology kick to a new level. Apparently, his former publicist forced him to keep that mess under wraps (and didn't even want Cruise to mention Scientology when he was doing promo for "The Last Samurai"). But then Cruise got rid of his PR people and is now letting his sister handle things -- and of course she is allowing him to come off like a complete lunatic.

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2005, 01:20:35 PM »
I sort of cringe as well when I see him with Katie Holmes.   Maybe it isnt fair, I guess it just seems strange to see somebody his age with a woman so much younger, there isnt anything morally wrong it but it just seems strange.

Offline timd818

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2005, 01:40:27 PM »
OMG.....can you believe this nut?

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash3tc.htm
I've been a tennis bum for half my life.
I'll just be a bum for the other half.

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2005, 03:28:02 PM »
Overreacted? There would be hell to pay if someone did that to me. It's incredibly rude, and what would one have to gain from it?

YEs.

Offline gm3106

• Tennis God
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2005, 03:29:03 PM »
don't like Tom Cruise, but that was a cruel thing to do to someone you don't know.

Exactly. Between friends is a different matter, but you don't do that to strangers. Doesn't matter if the person is famous.

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2005, 03:41:32 PM »
Well if the semi-phony reporter was doing a film about celebrities, he may have felt he had to do something like that to one of them.   If that is the case he shouldnt even be making the film though, I dont know how on earth he thought he was going to pull it off without major hassle, or if he did.