Author Topic: Your Expectations for the Great Argentine Slasher  (Read 5818 times)

Offline hercules

• Tennis God
Re: Your Expectations for the Great Argentine Slasher
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2011, 12:54:34 AM »
affirmative. he needs to make his serve--both the first and the 2nd--a bit of a weapon.

it will shorten the points for one thing. also it keeps your opponent from acquiring much rhythm.
PRAY FOR DEATH

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2011, 12:58:10 PM »
Del Po made #11 with, for him, average play and missing some tournaments.
If he increases his endurance and plays more matches with this alone he'll make the top 8.

I just want to see a few very high level matches from him, that's enough for me.

Offline hercules

• Tennis God
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2011, 09:56:54 PM »
its happening swish. he showed me a lot during davis cup on foreign soil.

he competed well. its a sign of things to come.
PRAY FOR DEATH

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2011, 10:06:31 PM »
If he increases his endurance and plays more matches with this alone he'll make the top 8.

I just want to see a few very high level matches from him, that's enough for me.

I agree he could be top 5, but he's had two consecutive seasons that were marred by injury. I'd like to see Delpos hold up physically for more than a few months before I get excited about him. So for now, I expect something similar to 2011.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2011, 11:02:43 PM »

I agree he could be top 5, but he's had two consecutive seasons that were marred by injury. I'd like to see Delpos hold up physically for more than a few months before I get excited about him. So for now, I expect something similar to 2011.

I find the excitement in the journey, picking up clues along the way and monitoring the players form, it's not all about winning.

Offline hercules

• Tennis God
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2011, 10:25:46 AM »
it is also about health, fitness, proper growth, and progress.
PRAY FOR DEATH

Offline ashwin#1

• Tennis God
  • The Best
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2011, 08:56:37 AM »
i really hope del-potro doesn't damages his wrist again...he has to slightly modify his forehand (to reduce chances of injury) without changing the devastating effect it had previously ...

would love to see him in the top 5 again.. :) :)
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Offline hercules

• Tennis God
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2011, 09:20:11 AM »
clay warrior has very high expectations for the great argentine slasher.
PRAY FOR DEATH

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2011, 10:01:32 AM »
if he stays healthy and he could be a big threat to the top 4 in the new season.

Offline hercules

• Tennis God
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2011, 05:06:36 PM »
affirmative.
PRAY FOR DEATH

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2012, 05:04:16 PM »
After QF of French Open, any review for Del Potro's future?

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2012, 05:21:50 PM »

He'll be challenging again, I didn't see today's match but it's a very good showing against Fed.

I picked up on his form against Berdych and it was looking much better than I've seen since he came back.

He can rest up now and should be feeling good about his game, I know I am.  :king:

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2012, 10:44:37 PM »

He'll be challenging again, I didn't see today's match but it's a very good showing against Fed.

I picked up on his form against Berdych and it was looking much better than I've seen since he came back.

He can rest up now and should be feeling good about his game, I know I am.  :king:

I saw entire match from beginning to the end. The 1st and 2nd was all about Del Potro. I was hoping he can win it because he played much better than Federer in those two sets. But knee injure really caused him the rest of match. In the third set, at the 1st game, he clearly show the 1st sense of pain by his knee injure. I was concerned Del Potro will drop his level. And he did! In third set he perhaps drop about 10% of his level, Federer took advantage and improved his level. 4th set became disaster for Del Potro as he could not move because of injure and fatique. The knee injure keep him in trouble in final set, seal his fighting power.

I don't believe what he said in interview, that injure did not affect him in that match.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2012, 12:21:47 PM »
my expectations for the great argentine slasher is to apply for a switch to WTA tour by the end of this year.......
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2012, 09:38:36 PM »
my expectations for the great argentine slasher is to apply for a switch to WTA tour by the end of this year.......

General Shanks, I'm not happy either but you have to look at the circumstances.

DelPo hasn't played long matches in awhile and he was probably hurting some.
I saw the Fed interview today and Fed said he picked up on DelPo's lack of movement, he didn't know if it was injury or endurance but he tried to move him around as much as possible.

There's only so much DelPo can do, Fed isn't known for his RG domination but has only been beaten by one other guy there other than Nadal for seven years or so IIRC.
Fed's damn good at RG.

DelPo gave Fed the credit and no other excuses at all, top shelf behavior as a player and a person.

DelPo did show his old game and that was the best I've seen him play since before the injury so more is to come.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2012, 05:08:02 AM »
gen. swish, no questioning that he can produce.......but if he can't back it up with good fitness, the end result won't be fruitful.......i am disappointed that he is failing to stay fit.......these are his peak years....... 
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2012, 07:09:11 AM »
gen. swish, no questioning that he can produce.......but if he can't back it up with good fitness, the end result won't be fruitful.......i am disappointed that he is failing to stay fit.......these are his peak years....... 

I agree with the fitness, he has no excuse for not being able to go the distance.
He's had plenty of time and has not done enough work, as you said, these are his peak years and he's not taking it seriously enough.

Having a good game doesn't cut it today, the whole package has to be there.

Hopefully now that his game is coming around he'll know that hard work has to be done in all areas.

We will see later this year.

Offline hercules

• Tennis God
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2012, 03:28:09 PM »
i hear d-pot is back at home getting some treatment for his knee.

hoping he recovers fast for wimbledon.
PRAY FOR DEATH

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2012, 04:11:00 PM »
I really hope that DelPo comes back strong. He is fun to watch, and can potentially win more slams in my opinion.

I do think that he needs to develop some variety on his back hand wing though, and also can improve his serve quite a bit.

Offline hercules

• Tennis God
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2012, 04:26:18 PM »
he also has a big reach so he should crowd the net too behind those lethal strokes of his from time to time. you have to bring the fight to the top guns.

the serve seems to be improving.
PRAY FOR DEATH