Author Topic: Which youngster will first come out from the bunch ?  (Read 2995 times)

Offline Richard Miller

• Tennis Player
Re: Which youngster will first come out from the bunch ?
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2012, 05:12:18 AM »
guys, I'm a tennis addict  :). I can watch even Scott vs Babs and be happy :king:.  However it's so sad that top guys are so dominant. yeah it won't last forever but these youngsters don't work too hard. Raonic is too slow, Tomic is not that good, Dimitrov is nowhere, Dolgo is actually not in this group (23yo). I think eventually someone will show up but not very soon. I also think that all of these youngsters have zero confidence. Nole, Raf will simply destroy them.

i don't know what's so special about raonic, he's very inconsistent and hasn't got solid enough baseline game either to challenge the big guns.......harrison's powder puff groundstrokes will be punished by the top guns.......

tomic moves like a cow, which is a huge liability against any top player.......dimitrov is just too weak at the moment and i don't know why people talk about him all the time.......

of all the players, dolgopolov is the best bet.......the only thing which he needs to do is know when to play which shot.......probably improve the serve a little more as well.......he has the makings of a good player and moves brilliantly.......23 yrs old means nothing.......when we take the mileage factor into account, he still has a good 6 or 7 years at the top on the tour.......

I guess people are desperate to find a new face. Raonic still played futures and challengers throughout the 2010, and suddenly one year later, everybody think he can win a slam. Talk about being optimistic :)

Dolgopolov is inconsistent as hell, not sure he'll be able to fix that. More seriously, he has some blood condition that makes him easily fatigued, which can really affect his chances in today's physical game.

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2012, 06:13:25 AM »
guys, I'm a tennis addict  :). I can watch even Scott vs Babs and be happy :king:.  However it's so sad that top guys are so dominant. yeah it won't last forever but these youngsters don't work too hard. Raonic is too slow, Tomic is not that good, Dimitrov is nowhere, Dolgo is actually not in this group (23yo). I think eventually someone will show up but not very soon. I also think that all of these youngsters have zero confidence. Nole, Raf will simply destroy them.

i don't know what's so special about raonic, he's very inconsistent and hasn't got solid enough baseline game either to challenge the big guns.......harrison's powder puff groundstrokes will be punished by the top guns.......

tomic moves like a cow, which is a huge liability against any top player.......dimitrov is just too weak at the moment and i don't know why people talk about him all the time.......

of all the players, dolgopolov is the best bet.......the only thing which he needs to do is know when to play which shot.......probably improve the serve a little more as well.......he has the makings of a good player and moves brilliantly.......23 yrs old means nothing.......when we take the mileage factor into account, he still has a good 6 or 7 years at the top on the tour.......

I guess people are desperate to find a new face. Raonic still played futures and challengers throughout the 2010, and suddenly one year later, everybody think he can win a slam. Talk about being optimistic :)

Dolgopolov is inconsistent as hell, not sure he'll be able to fix that. More seriously, he has some blood condition that makes him easily fatigued, which can really affect his chances in today's physical game.
Wrong.
&
Wrong.

I thought we were having a discussion about youngsters coming out of the bunch and playing well??? :confused1:
Milos has done that.
So have some other players.
They all have a long long way to go before they are winning slams.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Richard Miller

• Tennis Player
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2012, 07:16:18 AM »
Not bad, but nothing special and he's the oldest one in that generation :)

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2012, 04:04:28 PM »
Not bad, but nothing special and he's the oldest one in that generation :)
Not bad?  Nothing special?  Where's the love???

In 2011 went from #152 to #37, currently at #29.

Raonic started 2011 playing qualifying matches for the Aircel Chennai Open where he lost in the qualifying round against douard Roger-Vasselin. Next, he successfully qualified for the 2011 Australian Open. He won his first round match against German Bjrn Phau in three sets, his first victory in a main draw Grand Slam match.[14] In the second round he defeated No. 22 seed Michal Llodra of France, again in three sets, becoming the first Canadian man in 10 years to reach the third round of a singles Grand Slam.[15] He then knocked out the Russian World No. 10 Mikhail Youzhny in four sets to reach the fourth round, the first qualifier to make the 4th round of a Grand Slam since 1999.[16] Playing his next match at the Hisense Arena, he fell to World No. 7 David Ferrer after he lost the last three sets, despite winning the first.[17]

Despite the loss, Raonic received rave reviews for his performance at the Australian Open, such as when John McEnroe referred to Raonic as "the real deal" on Twitter,[18] or the BBC's reference to Raonic as part of "a new generation".[19] Martina Navratilova referred to Raonic as "a new star" saying that "the sky is the limit" for the young tennis player,[20] and the Sydney Morning Herald referred to Raonic as a "future superstar".[21]

Two weeks later, Raonic began play at the SAP Open tournament. After upsetting No. 4 seed Xavier Malisse in the first round in two sets, he then beat James Blake, again in two sets.[22] After beating Richard Berankis in the quarterfinal match, 64, 76(2), he reached ATP tournament semifinals for the first time in his career. Raonic advanced to his first final of an ATP tournament when the No. 2 seed Gal Monfilsdefaulted in the semifinals citing a wrist injury.[23] In the final, Milos beat 1st seeded Fernando Verdasco 76(6), 76(5), winning his first ATP title, and became the first Canadian player to win an ATP singles tournament since Greg Rusedski in 1995 (before Rusedski started representing Great Britain).[24]

Raonic received a wild card into the main singles draw of the following week's 2011 Regions Morgan Keegan Championships. Interestingly, he opened against Fernando Verdasco, the player he had just faced two days earlier, and prevailed again, this time in three sets. Milos next defeated Radek těpnek also in three sets, serving a career-high 38 aces in the process.[25] After defeating qualifier Robert Kendrick in the quarter-finals, again losing the second set before prevailing, Raonic continued his unbeaten run, defeating No. 4 seed Mardy Fish in the semis, once again despite dropping the second set. He lost a closely contested final, however, to No. 1 seed and two-time Memphis champion Andy Roddick, 6-7(7), 7-6(11), 5-7, with Roddick making a diving forehand to win break point, on his fifth championship point for the match.[26] Raonic's performance in this tournament elevated him to yet another career high ranking of World No. 37, making him the highest-ranked Canadian male singles player in ATP Rankings history. [27]

Raonic won both his singles Davis Cup rubbers against Mexico on clay as well as the doubles tie together with Vasek Pospisil to advance Canada to the second round.[28]

He was given wild-card berth for the Indian Wells Masters 1000 tournament main draw,[29] where he lost to Ryan Harrison in the third round after the wins over Marsel İlhan and Mardy Fish in the first and second round, respectively. He also received wild-card entry into the Sony Ericsson Open Masters 1000 tournament.[30]

Let's see if he can continue to improve this year and crack the top 20.
Keep in mind that developing a game in which you move into the forecourt takes longer than playing from the baseline.
CONK da ball!!!

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2012, 04:16:16 PM »
Raonic injured...again.

Pulls out of Davis Cup after experiencing pain in knee.

Even Safin, the tallest player ever to reach #1 at 6'4", had a career marred by injury. This game is not kind on bodies that large. I know everyone is quick to say the future of tennis will be dominated by giants. No reason to believe that. 
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2012, 04:20:18 PM »
Raonic injured...again.

Even Safin, the tallest player ever to reach #1 at 6'4", had a career marred by injury. This game is not kind on bodies that large.  I know everyone is quick to say the future of tennis will be dominated by giants.   No reason to believe that.
If that is indeed true, you can expect to see my name in the top 10 any day now..... :\
CONK da ball!!!

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2012, 04:22:29 PM »
Raonic injured...again.

Even Safin, the tallest player ever to reach #1 at 6'4", had a career marred by injury. This game is not kind on bodies that large.  I know everyone is quick to say the future of tennis will be dominated by giants.   No reason to believe that.
If that is indeed true, you can expect to see my name in the top 10 any day now..... :\

In your case, Hoss, it's the 280 not the 6-5 that's holding you back.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2012, 04:28:21 PM »
Raonic injured...again.

In your case, Hoss, it's the 280 not the 6-5 that's holding you back.
It's not holding me back, it's holding me down!
And for the record I'm only 6'2", but I play tall. ;-()
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2012, 06:50:28 PM »
Raonic injured...again.

Even Safin, the tallest player ever to reach #1 at 6'4", had a career marred by injury. This game is not kind on bodies that large. I know everyone is quick to say the future of tennis will be dominated by giants. No reason to believe that. 

He may just be playing it safe, the previous injury may make him a little more observant to aches and pains he experiences.

We pay attention to anyone tall having a problem but many players have problems all the time, I've not seen anything to make me believe taller players get injured more.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2012, 11:07:01 PM »
Raonic injured...again.

He may just be playing it safe, the previous injury may make him a little more observant to aches and pains he experiences.

We pay attention to anyone tall having a problem but many players have problems all the time, I've not seen anything to make me believe taller players get injured more.

Oh? How 'bout 89%. They don't tweek ankles. They miss significant time.
Safin  6'4"
Del Potro  6'7"
Ancic  6'5"
Cilic  6'5"
Querrey  6'6"
Raonic  6'5"
Karlovic  6'10"

Perhaps Isner (6'9") is the exception. I don't recall him being injured.

That's 8/9.

Who else is tall?

My guess is they don't develop a well-rounded game and wind up finding themselves in compromising positions, as well as become too dependent on one aspect of their game, usually quirky.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 11:27:07 PM by Babblelot »

Offline medwatt

• Tennis God
  • I am the most beautiful
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2012, 10:26:37 AM »
Raonic injured...again.

Oh? How 'bout 89%. They don't tweek ankles. They miss significant time.
Safin  6'4"
Del Potro  6'7"
Ancic  6'5"
Cilic  6'5"
Querrey  6'6"
Raonic  6'5"
Karlovic  6'10"

Perhaps Isner (6'9") is the exception. I don't recall him being injured.

That's 8/9.

Who else is tall?

My guess is they don't develop a well-rounded game and wind up finding themselves in compromising positions, as well as become too dependent on one aspect of their game, usually quirky.
I'm 6' 1'' and I get injured.  :)
The world awaits no genius

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2012, 12:25:14 PM »
I guess it depends on your definition of tall.....

Today's top 10 ATP

6' 2"
6' 1"
6' 1"
6' 3"
5' 9"
6' 2"
6' 5"
6' 2"
5' 11"
6' 6"
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2012, 01:46:05 PM »
I like Raonic. I mean he represents Canada. I love his behavior on the court... he seems to be so calm and focused. He does remind me of young Sampras. however, I think he is too slow. You can't win big tournaments nowadays by just having a great serve. it doesn't work that way. I really hope I'm wrong  :)

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2012, 03:44:05 PM »
Yep, shorter players get injured, too, Captain Obvious. But they've also had a stranglehold on the #1 spot since the advent of the ATP rankings. If giants are really legitimate challengers to the #1 spot, they don't get there because they drop too many points missing too much time due to injury.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2012, 04:41:36 PM »
Dmitrov has dropped 30 spots to 82 since August   :rofl_2:

Too much Serena, too little tennis?