Author Topic: 2012 ATP Australian Open  (Read 41801 times)

Offline foaquin

• Tennis Pro
Re: 2012 ATP Australian Open
« Reply #1100 on: January 27, 2012, 10:12:34 AM »
Ok, Rafa ,,you got what you wished for..NOw its your time to prove you can beat Djokovic.

Online Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #1101 on: January 27, 2012, 10:38:57 AM »
Ok, Rafa ,,you got what you wished for..NOw its your time to prove you can beat Djokovic.

Let's hope both guys are fresh and ready to rumble!  Hoping for another 5 setter!  Luv those things!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #1102 on: January 27, 2012, 11:12:56 AM »
this is the first time i saw some fight in murray.......he looked clutch on many occasions, very refreshing to see that.......i can see the lendl effect already.......yes the serve was ordinary from both but rest was good......

i think this is murray's best slam match in his career so far and best showing at a slam.......these are the kind of performances that make you believe that he can win a slam one day.......

djokovic i thought fooled murray with his "tiredness" bulls**t in the third set.......i don't know if he does it on purpose but one has to question how does he suddenly pick up his fitness level after a long passage of exhaustion and hard breathings through out sets 2 and 3? if he is doing it on purpose, it's a disgrace.......diverting the focus of the opponent is the cheapest of all tactics.......

Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #1103 on: January 27, 2012, 11:15:52 AM »
I sure hope that isn't considered an 'ordinary' serving day for either player. :(

Completely unacceptable by even WTA standards. ;-()

CONK da ball!!!

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #1104 on: January 27, 2012, 11:19:42 AM »
forget djokovic 2.0, forget the rest day, forget everything........nadal wants this slam so badly that he will come there to fight for 6 hours if it goes that long.......he will show absolutely no mercy now that the opponent is djokovic.......

nadal just needs to take one of the first two sets and he will win the final in 4 or 5 sets.......he will come there to fight like never before.......he was not well rested for us open final 3 best of 5 sets matches in 4 days and despite all that he lasted for 4 hours.......imagine what a fully rested and determined nadal will do.......

there is no way in heaven or earth or hell that djokovic wins this match.......he is going down! nadal will fight one of the greatest fights and take it all.......
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #1105 on: January 27, 2012, 11:22:17 AM »
I sure hope that isn't considered an 'ordinary' serving day for either player. :(

Completely unacceptable by even WTA standards. ;-()

djokovic definitely served like a WTA player.......murray dropped his serve whenever djokovic asked him to in the first and fourth sets.......so yeah that was poor serving today.......it looks like djokovic lost his rhythm on serve again, nadal will punish him on sunday.......

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #1106 on: January 27, 2012, 11:46:42 AM »
I'll go out on a limb and say if Nole serves less than 60% first serves he's going down in flames on Sunday.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #1107 on: January 27, 2012, 11:55:40 AM »
forget djokovic 2.0, forget the rest day, forget everything........nadal wants this slam so badly that he will come there to fight for 6 hours if it goes that long.......he will show absolutely no mercy now that the opponent is djokovic.......

nadal just needs to take one of the first two sets and he will win the final in 4 or 5 sets.......he will come there to fight like never before.......he was not well rested for us open final 3 best of 5 sets matches in 4 days and despite all that he lasted for 4 hours.......imagine what a fully rested and determined nadal will do.......

there is no way in heaven or earth or hell that djokovic wins this match.......he is going down! nadal will fight one of the greatest fights and take it all.......

I do not see Nole not winning over Rafa!  He has his number!  When a player has your number; you need to change your game - improve upon it to meet or be better some how.  Nadal still has the same game as 2011!  Just an opinion based on Djokovic's dominance over Nadal in 2011!  I think it was 6 times straight or something to that number.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #1108 on: January 27, 2012, 11:55:57 AM »
Today tennis was the only winner,no matter who your a fan of.This top 4 we have entertain.Going back the competition was a lot weaker than this.I can't believe how some of you pick faults in the tennis players.The work these guys put in is amazing.

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #1109 on: January 27, 2012, 12:02:03 PM »
Today tennis was the only winner,no matter who your a fan of.This top 4 we have entertain.Going back the competition was a lot weaker than this.I can't believe how some of you pick faults in the tennis players.The work these guys put in is amazing.
You thought the first 4 sets were good tennis? :confused1:

I thought the 5th was entertaining despite the poor serving.
You're right, these guys work very hard.
To be able to play at that level after 4+ hours is incredible.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #1110 on: January 27, 2012, 12:26:49 PM »
Its easy to speculate, but just like Shank, I 'knew' that Rafa was winning this one. I could really feel the difficulty that Fed was facing. Guess I am just becoming a more and more neutral follower of the game (tennis is more enjoyable now!!!). Its easy to say that he can do a lot with the variety, I really don't see what he can do. He has tried coming forward, tried chipping, slicing etc. How do you expect him to return from his backhand wing when Rafa time and again serves to his backhand side with such a huge spin? Beats me.
According to Raf & Uncle Toni, Nadal is a rhythm player.  A player with a variety of tools at his disposal can either choose to disrupt that tempo or play into his hand.  Fed did try a few different tactics with some success today, but when the chips were down he reverted to the old patterns just like you, Shank, and I knew he would. ;-()  Simply shocking that those old patterns failed to produce a different result..... :\

You haven't exactly told what Fed can/should/must/would do under ideal situations when Rafa serves to his backhand.
..-)How's that? ..-)

I'll attempt to clarify.
Nadal is a rhythm player.
Rhythm players need lots of practice.  During matches they need long points to establish their timing. 
Fed can shorten the points (win or lose) by hitting out (like he did in this match occasionally) or hitting short and forcing Raf to move into the forecourt.

Don't you use similar strategies when you play Falcon?
Utilize your strengths, force your opponent to play his least favorite style?

It seems fine when you say that with respect to the rallies where Rafa often plays to Fed's backhand, but I am still not convinced for the serve part. How can Fed shorten points when points become short anyway when he can't return serves effectively?

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #1111 on: January 27, 2012, 12:29:05 PM »
And no, the match was not great at all. It was poor serving all the way. For the first set and a half, Murray played some pathetic tennis, and when Murray started playing better (still serving crap of course), Djokovic was back to his 'tired' self for the nexy couple of sets. Fourth set was wta personified and it was only the last set that had the adrenaline rushing because well, it was the final set.

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #1112 on: January 27, 2012, 12:34:09 PM »
Its easy to speculate, but just like Shank, I 'knew' that Rafa was winning this one. I could really feel the difficulty that Fed was facing. Guess I am just becoming a more and more neutral follower of the game (tennis is more enjoyable now!!!). Its easy to say that he can do a lot with the variety, I really don't see what he can do. He has tried coming forward, tried chipping, slicing etc. How do you expect him to return from his backhand wing when Rafa time and again serves to his backhand side with such a huge spin? Beats me.
According to Raf & Uncle Toni, Nadal is a rhythm player.  A player with a variety of tools at his disposal can either choose to disrupt that tempo or play into his hand.  Fed did try a few different tactics with some success today, but when the chips were down he reverted to the old patterns just like you, Shank, and I knew he would. ;-()  Simply shocking that those old patterns failed to produce a different result..... :\

You haven't exactly told what Fed can/should/must/would do under ideal situations when Rafa serves to his backhand.
..-)How's that? ..-)

I'll attempt to clarify.
Rhythm players need lots of practice.  During matches they need long points to establish their timing. 
Fed can shorten the points (win or lose) by hitting out (like he did in this match occasionally) or hitting short and forcing Raf to move into the forecourt.

It seems fine when you say that with respect to the rallies where Rafa often plays to Fed's backhand, but I am still not convinced for the serve part. How can Fed shorten points when points become short anyway when he can't return serves effectively?
Since you didn't answer my question, I'll answer yours.

Fed can & did at times attack Nadal's serve to the BH side even producing a few winners.  Moving inside the baseline, cutting down the angle and playing aggressively. 

Nadal made a nice correction and consequently burned Fed to the FH side with 2nd serves on at least 2 occasions.  Nice to see.

Don't you use similar strategies in your own tennis Falc?
CONK da ball!!!

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #1113 on: January 27, 2012, 01:44:33 PM »

..-)How's that? ..-)

I'll attempt to clarify.

Fed can & did at times attack Nadal's serve to the BH side even producing a few winners.  Moving inside the baseline, cutting down the angle and playing aggressively. 

Nadal made a nice correction and consequently burned Fed to the FH side with 2nd serves on at least 2 occasions.  Nice to see.

Its way easier said than done. Everytime Fed was moving in, Rafa came up with body serves if I recollect correctly. As for my playing style, I have mostly played on clay, my serve sucks. Of course just as in any sport, I would play to my advantage and make my opponent play his or her least fav shot, be it tennis or badi.

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #1114 on: January 27, 2012, 02:09:19 PM »

..-)How's that? ..-)

I'll attempt to clarify.

Its way easier said than done. Everytime Fed was moving in, Rafa came up with body serves if I recollect correctly. As for my playing style, I have mostly played on clay, my serve sucks. Of course just as in any sport, I would play to my advantage and make my opponent play his or her least fav shot, be it tennis or badi.
Agreed.
Overall, I thought Nadal's serve was more effective than Fed's.  Not what I had anticipated.
CONK da ball!!!

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #1115 on: January 27, 2012, 02:39:07 PM »
lol. Scott. You can't handle the truth. 
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #1116 on: January 27, 2012, 03:02:49 PM »

..-)How's that? ..-)

I'll attempt to clarify.

Agreed.
Overall, I thought Nadal's serve was more effective than Fed's.  Not what I had anticipated.

Well, Nadal's serve didn't really hurt Federer backhand side like other past matches did in the past. The problem is he stick with only one strategy.

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #1117 on: January 27, 2012, 03:04:11 PM »

He needs to pick up his serve or Djokovic will punish every ball he serves. The second serve is too slow. It is not good idea to throw this kind of serve to Djokovic.

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #1118 on: January 27, 2012, 03:23:19 PM »
With the exception of a few spectacular Fed BH returns, I thought overall Raf's serve was more effective.  I don't mean better technically.  What I thought was pretty cool was when after Fed cracked a couple of great BH returns, Nadal crossed him up with 3 different 2nd serves to the FH. 

A quick look at the numbers confirms what I saw.

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/scores/stats/day16/1602ms.html

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/scores/stats/day16/1602dss.html

The only departments where Fed was better than Nadal was in serve speed and aces.  Certainly a factor in a quality serve, but just ask Andy (not Murray) if there's a bit more than just pace to an effective serve.
CONK da ball!!!

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #1119 on: January 27, 2012, 03:31:21 PM »

..-)How's that? ..-)

I'll attempt to clarify.

Agreed.

Well, Nadal's serve didn't really hurt Federer backhand side like other past matches did in the past. The problem is he stick with only one strategy.
Did you catch the 3 key times late in the match when he crossed Fed up and went to the FH on the 2nd serve? :confused1:

By using his lefty slice to the BH 90% of the time he set Fed up for the few times he wanted to go middle.   Sneaky Bastige!!!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 03:47:05 PM by monstertruck »
CONK da ball!!!