Author Topic: 2012 ATP Australian Open  (Read 42991 times)

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
Re: 2012 ATP Australian Open
« Reply #1340 on: January 29, 2012, 03:01:48 PM »
Eggovic owns Nadull now.  :whistle:

you are right, it's just now.......nadal owned him and pegged his 2008 and 2009 back singlehandedly while also handing loss after loss to fed in his prime.......rafa is playing like crap and yet managed to scare the s**t out of djokovic on his best surface.......

this fedtard celebration over djokovic's wins is so funny because the last thing fed can boast about is fighting spirit, something which nadal has in abundance.......just a matter of time before nadal starts dishing it to djokovic again and these fedtards will have no where to hide from embarrassment.......

when will they learn that nadal vs. djokovic is THE rivalry of this era.......
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Bazcovic

• Tennis God
« Reply #1341 on: January 29, 2012, 03:02:18 PM »
Nadal is a fighter, and hung in there.
However, Djokovic somehow is always in control vs. Nadal; his return and serve are simply better.
Like Nadal is a bad matchup for Federer, Djokovic somehow controls Nadal.

6 hours of play for 360 points.... these baseline wars will ultimately results in major injuries, I believe.
The average rally count increases and increases. Shortening the season, or shortening the rallies?

Offline Bazcovic

• Tennis God
« Reply #1342 on: January 29, 2012, 03:05:51 PM »
djokovic is definitely having the time of his life and if anyone's going to stop him, it's nadal.......make no mistake about it......

I believe that Djokovic's game is fundamentally better than Nadal's.

Nadal's amazing defense and fighting spirit are not enough vs. Djokovic.
Probably, hadn't Djokovic gone through the 5 hour physical crisis with Murray, he would've ended today's match in 4 sets.

Nadal gives Djokovic too much rhythm with the rather monotonous baseline game.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 03:09:17 PM by Bazcovic »

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #1343 on: January 29, 2012, 03:16:06 PM »
djokovic is definitely having the time of his life and if anyone's going to stop him, it's nadal.......make no mistake about it......

I believe that Djokovic's game is fundamentally better than Nadal's.

Nadal's amazing defense and fighting spirit are not enough vs. Djokovic.
Probably, hadn't Djokovic gone through the 5 hour physical crisis with Murray, he would've ended today's match in 4 sets.

Nadal gives Djokovic too much rhythm with the rather monotonous baseline game.

nadal's present game is no where near what he is capable of.......he needs to fix a few things which i think happens on clay........last year he let his focus and fitness drop which opened the door for djokovic who was waiting there like forever since 2008.......and as for novak i think he's sliding down gradually, nadal has started pegging him back.......we will talk again in 4 months.......
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Bazcovic

• Tennis God
« Reply #1344 on: January 29, 2012, 03:29:04 PM »
nadal's present game is no where near what he is capable of.......he needs to fix a few things which i think happens on clay........last year he let his focus and fitness drop which opened the door for djokovic who was waiting there like forever since 2008

I don't believe that Nadal opened the door for Djokovic in 2011. That is nonsense.

Djokovic launched himself with the Davis Cup win in 2010, and a very straightforward win @ the AO2011, where Nadal lost to Ferrer.

Offline mjjeyes

• Tennis Player
  • Serena Forever
« Reply #1345 on: January 29, 2012, 03:44:15 PM »
Men's final: 5 hours 53 minutes
Women's final: 1 hour 22 minutes

Prize money: equal

I'm calling sexism.

I am all for equal pay but to make it fair, men should be required to play the same amount of sets as women do in a match, otherwise it's just not right.

Offline Bazcovic

• Tennis God
« Reply #1346 on: January 29, 2012, 03:45:42 PM »

I'm calling sexism.

I am all for equal pay but to make it fair, men should be required to play the same amount of sets as women do in a match, otherwise it's just not right.

Women belong in the kitchen, not on a tennis court.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #1347 on: January 29, 2012, 03:56:15 PM »
Congrats to both players. great match. Bravo Nole. I just wanted to say hi to  Sid and Emma ....
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 03:59:23 PM by Alex »

Offline medwatt

• Tennis God
  • I am the most beautiful
« Reply #1348 on: January 29, 2012, 04:19:54 PM »
N. DJOKOVIC/R. Nadal 
5-7, 6-4, 6-2, 6-7(5), 7-5

NOVAK DJOKOVIC:  Many of you stayed this late.  Thank you. 

Q.  We have to. 
NOVAK DJOKOVIC:  I know you have to, but make it look like you want to.  (Laughter.)

Q.  Was that the greatest win of your life?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC:  Ah, yes.  Right now, yes. 
Probably Wimbledon because Wimbledon is right up there next to this one because it's just the tournament that I always dreamed of winning. 
But this one I think comes out on the top because just the fact that we played almost six hours is incredible, incredible.  I think it's probably the longest finals in the history of all Grand Slams, and just to hear that fact is making me cry, really. 
I'm very proud just to be part of this history, part of the elite of the players that have won this tournament for several times, and I was very flattered to be playing in front of Rod Laver, in front of the alltime greats, and in front of 15,000 people that stayed until 1:30 a.m.
It's incredible, really.

Q.  How did you keep going in that situation?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC:  Look, you know, it's finals.  It was the fifth set.  I had lots of chances to finish the match in the fourth, but he came up with some incredible serves and incredible points. 
So he deserved to prolong the match in the fifth set, and then really both of us could have won the match.  It could have gone either way.  I felt my body started to slow down, but on the other hand, I was aware of the fact that he's not as well feeling that great and fresh on the court.
I'm sure that physically it's taking a toll on him, as well.  So I tried mentally to hang in there, to hold my composure, to hold my emotions.  And, you know, even when I was 42 down I still pushed myself up to the limit. 
You know, one of the points I think of the match was at 4All, fifth, the first point after 35, 40shot rally I think we both went down on our knees.
But these kind of matches  I'm a professional tennis player.  I'm sure any other colleague tennis player would say the same:  We live for these matches.  We work every day.  We're trying to dedicate all our life to this sport to come to the situation where we play sixhour match for a Grand Slam title.

Q.  Apart from the breathing problems you have been having, what other physical issues did you have to go through today and during the tournament?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC:  Everything you can imagine.  (Smiling.)
I mean, I don't think it's worth of talking now about these things.  I mean, I overcomed everything, and that's the most important thing for me. 
And to be able to mentally hang in there and physically, you know  I mean, it was obvious on the court for everybody who has watched the match that both of us, physically, we took the last drop of energy that we had from our bodies. 
You know, I think it was just the matter of maybe luck in some moments and matter of, you know, wanting this more than maybe other player in the certain point.
You know, it's just incredible effort.

Q.  It was remarkable achievement.  Rafa spoke about enjoying the suffering, actually building for this moment and enjoying the suffering. 
NOVAK DJOKOVIC:  I absolutely agree with him.  I think I maybe had a similar feeling in couple of matches, but nothing like this.  You know, you are in pain, you are suffer, you know that you're trying to activate your legs, you're trying to push yourself another point, just one more point, one more game.
You're going through so much suffering your toes are bleeding.  Everything is just outrageous, you know, but you're still enjoying that pain.
So I would agree with that comment of Rafa.

Q.  Can you talk us through your postmatch celebration with the shirt ripping, et cetera, and do you have energy to celebrate further tonight?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC:  I don't know.  It's already 4:00 a.m.  I don't know how far I can go, but right now I'm up for everything.  (Laughter.)

Q.  Maybe some breakfast?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC:  Breakfast? 

Q.  Yeah. 
NOVAK DJOKOVIC:  I don't know.  Food is not on my mind right now.  (Smiling.)

Q.  You talked about believing you could repeat 2011.  If it's going to be this tough, do you really want to go through this four times?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC:  Well, if that's the way, you know, then I guess I will have to go through it.  I will have to accept it the way it is. 
I mean, I'm not really concerned about the rest of the year how physically I'm gonna endure and all of that.  It's just the start of the year.  I'm gonna have some weeks off now, and I'm gonna try to enjoy this victory as much as I can. 
Then back to office, you know, back to work, preparation.  There is much that awaits for me, but I definitely should enjoy the present moment.

Q.  Can you go back to the 44 point, 31ball rally.  You hit the backhand; you miss it; you fall on your back.  Was there any point when you're on your back and you're thinking, Maybe I should just stay down; I had a great year last year and I don't want to get up?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC:  No, not at that point.  At that point I was just thinking of getting some air and trying to recover for next point.
A thousand thoughts going through the mind, you know.  Trying to separate the right from wrong, trying to prioritize the next point and taking it step by step. 
I mean, I'm playing against one of the greatest players ever, you know, the player that is so mentally strong, and he always comes up with his best game and best shots at the right moments.
We both knew that we can't really go too far in the rallies, so you could feel that we all tried to hit the ball as much as  as hard as we could and tried to go for winners.
You know, he's not usually the one that takes the advantage over the point in being aggressive and hitting full shots.  He always tries to construct the point, and, you know, playing some variety in that game.
But then in the last game when I was serving I had a feeling that he was really trying to step into the backhand and forehand and just try to go for everything or nothing.
That's what I have done in game before, so at that stage you have nothing left.

Q.  In the last game you were crossing yourself after the break point.  Did you actually say a prayer at that point?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC:  Yeah.  I mean, yeah.  I was trying to find every possible help and energy that I can.  It paid off, I guess. 

Q.  Is there any part of you that feels a little bit sorry for Rafa?  I mean, he keeps coming up against you in the final and he keeps losing. 
NOVAK DJOKOVIC:  Well, you know, I was in that position.  I was in that position a couple years ago, you know, losing most of the semifinals and finals against him and Roger in Grand Slams so I know how it feels. 
I really thought what I said sincerely on the court, is that unfortunately there had to only be one winner because we both gave it all.  We both put 100% of our abilities on the court and played to the last moment.
Unfortunately there couldn't be two winners, but he definitely deserved to be a winner as well tonight.  You know, I would be saying same thing if I'm sitting here as a loser.

Q.  How much time do you take off now?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC:  I don't know.  I don't know.  I have to sit down with the team, but I'm definitely gonna take off at least two weeks.

Q.  You are on the road to a Grand Slam if you win Roland Garros.  How important will be your preparation for the French Open?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC:  Very important, you know.  I'm prioritizing Grand Slams this year, as every year, and Olympic Games.  I think that's one of my highest goals.
That doesn't mean of course that I'm not gonna prepare well and perform my best on the other tournaments.  It's just that, you know, the Grand Slams matter the most. 
So I want to do well and I want to get the first final at least in Paris, you know.  I have never been in finals there, and I have a feeling that I'm ready this year to achieve that.

Q.  Were you pleased when they gave you the chair in the ceremony?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC:  Oh, yes, very pleased.  I think we both were.  We both respect and  we are very much aware of the ceremonies and how they go.  Everybody has to talk, of course.  We agree with that. 
But, you know, if they could only consider a little bit our condition at that point, you know, and I think they did.  That's why I want to thank them for those chairs, because it saved our legs.

Q.  After this tennis overdose you just had, what are you going to say to your friends or acquaintances?  Don't talk about tennis for a week or... 
NOVAK DJOKOVIC:  Please.

Q.  Or a month?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC:  Please, yes.  I'm gonna definitely try to get that message to them (smiling).

Q.  You had a brutal match against Murray, very, very tough, and then came back with one day less rest and won in a long match like that.  How did you do it in terms of recovery?  Was it really hard?  Did you find a solution to help things out with regard to the breathing problems you had in the last match?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC:  Generally it's very important to prepare well.  Everybody has a different routine and different scheduling and program of practicing and recovering, and, you know, just preparing for what's coming up.
It's an individual sport, so we all try to rely on the people who are traveling with us.  That's why I have said on the court is this is a team effort, you know, because I couldn't do it myself.  I need all these people to take care of every aspect of my career, for my body, in order for me to be able to be ready to perform the way I did. 
The world awaits no genius

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #1349 on: January 29, 2012, 04:20:50 PM »

I'm calling sexism.

And when we poison the food we are going to serve to you - we'll have plenty of time then to go to the tennis court. :innocent:

Offline Avatar

• Tennis God
« Reply #1350 on: January 29, 2012, 05:32:53 PM »
More impressed with Rafa's come back from the dead performance. That man is superhuman

+1

nadal has more will power in his little toe then djokovic does in his entire being. nadals comeback is the real story imo.

Really? And here I am thinking the real story is how Novak won the championship, or that he beat Nadel for the 7th straight time in a final, or that he had to come back in the 5th set after getting down a break....by bad for not seeing the "real" story......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yep, your bad.  :innocent:

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #1351 on: January 29, 2012, 05:35:43 PM »
It's 5:22. Time to get out of bed   :::O :coffee:
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Online Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #1352 on: January 29, 2012, 05:41:08 PM »
It's 5:22. Time to get out of bed   :::O :coffee:

morning!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Richard Miller

• Tennis Player
« Reply #1353 on: January 29, 2012, 06:16:37 PM »
Eggovic owns Nadull now.  :whistle:

you are right, it's just now.......nadal owned him and pegged his 2008 and 2009 back singlehandedly while also handing loss after loss to fed in his prime.......rafa is playing like crap and yet managed to scare the s**t out of djokovic on his best surface.......

Lol, people (most likely you included) were saying exactly the same thing last year, "Hey, Nadal played extremely close matches at IW and Miami against Nole, on his favorite surface, so imagine what will happen on clay". Well, enter clay (and grass) and Novak bulldozed Nadal, so much for that argument :)

last year's 6-0 meant jacks**t for this match, quite evidently.......similarly today's defeat will mean nothing when he takes him out finally at indian wells or miami or clay and resumes his domination over djokovic.......one win is all what he needs, i am sure djokovic can never be to rafa what rafa is to fed.......with a poor serve and poor backhand, he handed djokovic one of the scariest treatments today on djokovic's best surface.......he should have won it but i don't know what went wrong in sets 2 and 5 in particular.......

Lol, you said you didn't even watch the match, didn't you? Rafa actually served very well and hit BH much better than last year, there was nothing poor there. And he could get one win, but like that is going to turn around things - now you sound the same as some Fedtards, who think Fed is going to dominate Rafa again, just because he bageled him at WTF... pot meet kettle   :))

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #1354 on: January 29, 2012, 06:23:45 PM »
More impressed with Rafa's come back from the dead performance. That man is superhuman

+1

nadal has more will power in his little toe then djokovic does in his entire being. nadals comeback is the real story imo.

Really? And here I am thinking the real story is how Novak won the championship, or that he beat Nadel for the 7th straight time in a final, or that he had to come back in the 5th set after getting down a break....by bad for not seeing the "real" story......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yep, your bad.  :innocent:

Yep, Dallas, this match had all that and more. But I was more impressed by Nadal's superhuman resurrection from the dead.

Superhuman                                                                       Superhuman
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 06:24:56 PM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #1355 on: January 29, 2012, 09:05:48 PM »

I'm calling sexism.

And when we poison the food we are going to serve to you - we'll have plenty of time then to go to the tennis court. :innocent:

No he is right there Dallas, women are supposed to belong to the kitchen not some darn tennis court....but he just forgot to complete the sentence....men are supposed to hunt for deer, rabbits, hare etc for the kitchen to keep running, not play tennis!

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #1356 on: January 29, 2012, 09:17:18 PM »
Nadal came close but Djokovic went through a very tough SF with Murray that lasted almost 5 hrs.
There's no doubt that his body wasn't fully rested.
Nadal had a much less taxing match against Fed with an extra days rest.

Nadal can take some pride in taking the match to the fifth set but he had a pretty good physical advantage in the rest area.

Then there's the mental tiring of Djokovic's match with Murray, it was close and stressful.

Nadal did say he's optimistic that he stayed close to Djokovic but he didn't see a top form Djokovic.

I don't see Nadal closing the gap on Djokovic at all.

The only one looking able to make a move is Murray, he's definitely closing the gap on Djokovic and may have beat Nadal.
This will be something to look for as the season moves on.
Things should be harder for both Nadal and Djokovic but especially Nadal as Murray has been pretty close to him at times.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #1357 on: January 29, 2012, 09:40:33 PM »
^^^ if the 'its all about match-ups' is true, then Murray cannot hurt Nadal. Murray just doesn't have the serve nor the powerful backhand that nole posesses. He shouldn't be too difficult for Rafa to handle.

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #1358 on: January 29, 2012, 10:05:28 PM »

I'm calling sexism.

No he is right there Dallas, women are supposed to belong to the kitchen not some darn tennis court....but he just forgot to complete the sentence....men are supposed to hunt for deer, rabbits, hare etc for the kitchen to keep running, not play tennis!

What a comeback! I just hope the women get to prove they are the equals of the men, by playing 5-set matches at the slams..

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #1359 on: January 29, 2012, 10:38:05 PM »
last year's 6-0 meant jacks**t for this match, quite evidently.......similarly today's defeat will mean nothing when he takes him out finally at indian wells or miami or clay and resumes his domination over djokovic.......one win is all what he needs, i am sure djokovic can never be to rafa what rafa is to fed.......with a poor serve and poor backhand, he handed djokovic one of the scariest treatments today on djokovic's best surface.......he should have won it but i don't know what went wrong in sets 2 and 5 in particular.......

Complete and total delusion. Shankar - go medicate yourself.
Then we will fight in the shade.