Author Topic: Recording info on opponents  (Read 233 times)

Offline OliveOil

• Tennis Player
Recording info on opponents
« on: January 16, 2015, 07:07:34 AM »
For a long time, I've kept records on the strengths, weaknesses, playing styles, etc. of each good opponent I play. I suspect a lot of tennis players do. I also occasionally keep notes on what happened in particular matches; what happened, and why.

Recently, I made an Android app to hold these types of notes for me. I made the app for myself, originally, but I've modified it so other people can use it as well. It's free, no ads. Anyway, I'd like to hear what some other tennis players think about it; so far I've only shown it to a few friends.

It's on Google Play, if you want to check it out. If you like it, do me a favor and review it. If not, tell me why and I'll improve it.

I thought this piece of equipment might be particularly useful to some of the people on this board, since many people on here are interested in keeping tennis journals.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
Re: Recording info on opponents
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 06:35:00 AM »
Nice!
I'll check it out later today.
Thanks.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline OliveOil

• Tennis Player
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 10:55:41 PM »
Thanks for the interest! I would definitely like to know what some other people think about it. I've been using it a bunch for my own matches.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 02:44:47 AM »
Just took a look at the sample pages.
You've got it broken down nicely.
I like the fact you have a section for match notes.
This might be a nice tool for a tournament player to track opponents they don't play regularly.
That being said, this could also be an effective aid for club players who play with/against the same opponents regularly.  Identifying and reviewing the playing characteristics of opponents is key to finding ways to win.
Self-assessment and that of a teaching pro might be useful to have on record as well.
Too bad I can't use this app on my desktop. :(
CONK da ball!!!

Offline OliveOil

• Tennis Player
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 11:10:47 PM »
Thanks. Unfortunately, porting the app to Windows would pretty much require rewriting all the code. I might make a Windows version at some point, but for now it's Android only.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 11:14:33 PM by OliveOil »

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 05:11:06 AM »
Thanks. Unfortunately, porting the app to Windows would pretty much require rewriting all the code. I might make a Windows version at some point, but for now it's Android only.
At some point I might get a 'real' cell phone..... ;-()

Have you considered adding a page for doubles opponents?
I think that might appeal to a wider group of club players.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline OliveOil

• Tennis Player
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 04:36:32 PM »
Good idea. Well, you could always create a separate sport, called "Tennis - Doubles", to separate singles and doubles opponents. Still, I might add doubles-specific stuff over the summer (I'm in the midst of a treacherous college schedule at the moment).