Author Topic: Why the "GOAT" thing doesn't really matter  (Read 4019 times)

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
Re: Why the "GOAT" thing doesn't really matter
« Reply #100 on: February 11, 2012, 05:41:29 AM »
So Mr. Lazy here actually took a few minutes and watched the Slow Roger v. Fast Roger vids (thanks for doing the leg work Babs!).

I see no definitive difference in foot speed.
Looks like his anticipation and efficiency of foot are both sharper in the 2011 clip.  But hey, that's just me. ;-()

Using a catch phrase such as "he's a 1/2 step slower now" to account for losing without proof could be considered just an opinion.  When it's repeated as fact and bandied about by others it becomes B.S.

CONK da ball!!!

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #101 on: February 11, 2012, 06:54:43 AM »
Using a catch phrase such as "he's a 1/2 step slower now" to account for losing without proof could be considered just an opinion.  When it's repeated as fact and bandied about by others it becomes B.S.

That s**t drives me nuts, Hoss. Conventional wisdom should always be challenged   ;-()
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #102 on: February 11, 2012, 02:26:00 PM »

That s**t drives me nuts, Hoss. Conventional wisdom should always be challenged   ;-()
To call such mental laziness 'wisdom' is absurd.
People attempt to be impressarios when they respond like trained parrots to situations by repeating some oft heard phrase .
Zero tolerance for that crap, I have.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #103 on: February 11, 2012, 02:39:02 PM »

People attempt to be impressarios when they respond like trained parrots to situations by repeating some oft heard phrase .

OK Yoda.

:coffee:

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #104 on: February 12, 2012, 05:50:13 AM »
 :))

:coffee:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2012, 08:43:35 AM »

what if he gets half a step slower when he is pushed hard by the schedule? i say so because from my observation, it seems that he's not bothering to keep up with full schedule on the tour anymore.......his priority is slams and he's saving himself up for them which in a way is even more dangerous to his fellow slam aspirants at the top.......he doesn't seem to expend too much energy for non-slam tournaments and that is enabling him to produce his best performances at slams even at this age........one can understand that because he's 30 years old, but that doesn't mean that he can move just as well every single tournament.......that's what i meant with "half a step slower" in general on the full schedule.......
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #106 on: February 12, 2012, 09:31:40 AM »
I've yet to see anything other than opinions offered as proof of such.

Would love to take a look at any facts folks might have to offer up as a basis for their opinions. :)

Correct me if I'm wrong Shanks-  you're saying he's slower when he's overbooked.  Consequently he's cut back on his schedule and now is just as fast as ever.  Is that right?
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2012, 03:10:24 PM »
I think he is slower a bit (not much). he can still beat anyone on the tour easily not called Djokovic or Nadal. As said before, his priorities are slams. he is a smart player. I don't blame him. what else does he need to prove? Does anyone really care if he lost R1 at IW?

I still have mixed feelings when it comes to Roger. His arrogance is beyond this world. and his ego, and his purses, white stupid jackets..... pathetic. meh, can't stand him, lol. sorry Dallas and all of his fans.
he is not the goat. he'll never will be regardless of the fact that he won 16 slams in a super weak era when he literally didn't have any competition. Yes, he is a ballerina,  he plays pretty tennis but I couldn't care less....

Sampras had to fight so many great players.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #108 on: February 12, 2012, 03:28:39 PM »
I think he is slower a bit (not much). he can still beat anyone on the tour easily not called Djokovic or Nadal. As said before, his priorities are slams. he is a smart player. I don't blame him. what else does he need to prove? Does anyone really care if he lost R1 at IW?

I still have mixed feelings when it comes to Roger. His arrogance is beyond this world. and his ego, and his purses, white stupid jackets..... pathetic. meh, can't stand him, lol. sorry Dallas and all of his fans.
he is not the goat. he'll never will be regardless of the fact that he won 16 slams in a super weak era when he literally didn't have any competition. Yes, he is a ballerina,  he plays pretty tennis but I couldn't care less...

McEnroe, Lendl, Connors, Edberg, Wilander had to fight so many great players, too.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #109 on: February 12, 2012, 03:30:46 PM »
and this is what Fed said after they lost to the USA... :(PATHETIC

Later, speaking in French to Swiss media, Federer appeared less gracious. He claimed not to be too disappointed while pointing a finger at Wawrinka, who slumped back in his chair looking every inch the junior partner in the relationship.

„I played well enough in doubles, but Stanislas not so much,” Federer said, adding that Wawrinka „didn’t have his best match in singles. It’s a shame, because of that defeat we weren’t able to put the U.S under pressure.”

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #110 on: February 12, 2012, 03:38:17 PM »

he is not the goat. he'll never will be regardless of the fact that he won 16 slams in a super weak era when he literally didn't have any competition. Yes, he is a ballerina,  he plays pretty tennis but I couldn't care less...

McEnroe, Lendl, Connors, Edberg, Wilander had to fight so many great players, too.
of course. I still don't understand how so many Fed fans can not see it. Fed is the luckiest player in the world ... his competition was non existent. I can't even stress that enough.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #111 on: February 12, 2012, 04:22:39 PM »
I think he is slower a bit (not much).
Not something I'd wanna hang my hat on....
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #112 on: February 12, 2012, 04:23:44 PM »

Later, speaking in French to Swiss media, Federer appeared less gracious. He claimed not to be too disappointed while pointing a finger at Wawrinka, who slumped back in his chair looking every inch the junior partner in the relationship.

I played well enough in doubles, but Stanislas not so much,” Federer said, adding that Wawrinka „didn’t have his best match in singles. It’s a shame, because of that defeat we weren’t able to put the U.S under pressure.”
What a great way to get your partner's back.
That should go a long way to cementing their 'friendship'. :rofl_2:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #113 on: February 12, 2012, 08:18:22 PM »
wawrinka is a good player. its simply not fair to blame him ... I really don't understand what Roger was thinking.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #114 on: February 12, 2012, 08:21:37 PM »
wawrinka is a good player. its simply not fair to blame him ... I really don't understand what Roger was thinking.

Fed has his reasons, that's enough.  :rofl_2:

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #115 on: February 12, 2012, 09:23:34 PM »
I'm sure he did  ..-). what an idiot. and they think that Rog is classy... the biggest BS in history. I'm so happy that Rafa owns him. 

Offline Richard Miller

• Tennis Player
« Reply #116 on: February 13, 2012, 02:27:30 AM »

of course. I still don't understand how so many Fed fans can not see it. Fed is the luckiest player in the world ... his competition was non existent. I can't even stress that enough.

Well, I don't like Federer one bit, but I'm not buying the competition thing. You can always cherry pick to support your argument... "Sampras had to fight so many great players" - Wimbledon '99 he practically got a bye into semis, Wimbledon 2000 semis against a qualifier, etc. :)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #117 on: February 13, 2012, 04:51:08 AM »
5 straight USO's.
5 straight Wimbledon's.
6 WTF's.
18/19 slam finals.
23 straight slam SF's.
237 straight weeks at #1.

Fed haters take off the blinds.  :hammer:

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #118 on: February 13, 2012, 09:33:51 AM »

„I played well enough in doubles, but Stanislas not so much,” Federer said, adding that Wawrinka „didn’t have his best match in singles. It’s a shame, because of that defeat we weren’t able to put the U.S under pressure.”

what? :hysterical: look at your own singles you clown......this is the lowest of the lows even for his stands......
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #119 on: February 13, 2012, 09:47:02 AM »
I've yet to see anything other than opinions offered as proof of such.

Would love to take a look at any facts folks might have to offer up as a basis for their opinions. :)

Correct me if I'm wrong Shanks-  you're saying he's slower when he's overbooked.  Consequently he's cut back on his schedule and now is just as fast as ever.  Is that right?

yes, almost as fast as ever in slams.......i have noticed particularly last year that he is not caring for anything but slams and is just unloading in slams.......i think that approach is mainly responsible for his top movement in slams even at 30.......it's not that he's cutting back much on his schedule, but you can see he doesn't waste many reserves for unnecessary tournaments.......