Author Topic: This is what I think Djokovic and Nadal need to do in the future  (Read 704 times)

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
Both of them should make volley as routine weapon in their game. It is good weapon, no doubt about it.

It can save your energy men!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 08:24:02 AM by williamchung7 »

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
Re: This is what I think Djokovic and Nadal need to do in the future
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 09:04:16 AM »
Volley, we don't need no stinkin' volleys meyn.  :whistle:
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 02:07:29 PM »
With the way Djokovic is playing over the last 12 months,Nadal needs to stay away from him in the tennis draws,for as long as poss.That's the needs ATM.Clay could be mighty interesting this year.This just might be the year that both Fed & Nadal are not in the top 2 for rankings.

Offline Bazcovic

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 03:34:08 PM »
Ultimately, the wear and tear of the countless baseline encounters degrades the physical health of a player.
The rallies and thus the match length increases and increases.

How can Djokovic and Nadal remain fit an entire year?
Either shorten the points or shorten the season.

I'm very curious how their fitness will develop this (olympic) year.

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 05:36:49 PM »
One thing really annoying me is that I see there are a lot of chances for them to come to net, they choose not to.....

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 07:43:55 PM »
One thing really annoying me is that I see there are a lot of chances for them to come to net, they choose not to.....
Ayuh, no doubt about it.
I think most players of this generation have spent tens of thousands of hours bashing from the baseline and just don't have as much practice time transitioning to and finishing in the forecourt.
Let's not forget the ball is moving much faster these days, quite often in the shape of an egg! :scared:
CONK da ball!!!

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 08:23:52 PM »
Every time they slide to an abrupt stop when stretched moving laterally I look to see if the ankle rolls and the bone is sticking out of the skin.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 09:00:26 PM »
'The slide' on hardcourts has me mesmerized.

Either that or it's the rum. :Confused:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 09:07:23 PM »
Its painful to watch them play the way they were playing. No way is Rafa going to last till USO if he plays the same way the whole year. That actually goes for Nole too

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 09:21:55 PM »

Nadal is very good at passing, though Djokovic did have some chances while Nadal gets pinned in the duece court corner.
It could end some points earlier but with Djokovic's endurance he'll just stay back and wear anyone down so that is working.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 10:40:22 PM »
I'm wondering what permanent damage this match will do to Nadal. I wouldn't be surprised if he has severe tendinitis flare-up that takes him out of the rest of the year.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Bazcovic

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 03:01:30 AM »

Nadal is very good at passing, though Djokovic did have some chances while Nadal gets pinned in the duece court corner.
It could end some points earlier but with Djokovic's endurance he'll just stay back and wear anyone down so that is working.

True. Same applies to Murray, he is such a good passer.
But there are also excellent baseliners and returners  :scared:

They are just too good at everything. That's the problem.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 04:33:51 AM »
I think they all have some work to do on their serves.

Nadal showed some improvement in that dept. during AO 2012, with increased variety and willingness (and ability)to go up the 'T' in the ad court.  Overall, I thought there was an obvious change in strategy (especially against Nole) on the serve to be a bit more aggressive.  If he stays the course and continues to develop this aspect of his game, Raf may soon possess the key to break the spell DJoker has cast over him in recent months.

Perhaps this will be the next evolution in men's tennis.
Players develop serves and returns that can be used as powerful weapons to set up points for their almighty groundies.

I am eternally astounded no female player has sought to excel at these most important aspects of the game in order to dominate the lackluster field of the past millenium.  JFC, how hard is it? :mad1:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 11:14:16 AM »
one thing i have noticed for why players are not moving forward is - most of them are not good with punching the volleys deep and take another volley or two.......they try to end the point with one volley.......that's why they go for high percentage dropper 90% of times.......at least droppers land somewhere inside the court than blatant missing with deep volleys.......

even if it's djokovic or nadal or murray who occasionally volley, most of the times they don't try to hit deep volleys and aren't willing to take another volley.......fed volleys better compared to them but he too has his share of troubles against quality passing.......

« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 11:15:55 AM by Start da Game »
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 11:31:11 AM »
Agreed.
I've often wondered how the extreme grips on the FH and the majority of pros using 2HBH impact the ability to transition to the forecourt and be comfortable/competent with the grip change.  Certainly a far cry from days of old when players served with continental grips and then used an eastern on the FH and single handed BH.
CONK da ball!!!

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2012, 09:06:41 AM »
Hadn't thought about it monster,  but you may be on to something with respect to Rafa trying to serve differently to Nole.  It might account for all of those returns that were blasted back at his frets which really gave him fits.   Work in progress perhaps. 

And serving to the body was very effective.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 09:54:43 AM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif