Author Topic: Djokovic's Goals for This Year.  (Read 2712 times)

Online Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Djokovic's Goals for This Year.
« on: February 01, 2012, 07:49:37 PM »
Djokovic has his eyes set on RG.
He also wants the CYGS and the Olympics.

He's aiming high and probably has the best chance anyone has had in a long time.

http://www.nation.com.pk/pakistan-news-newspaper-daily-english-online/sports/01-Feb-2012/french-open-and-olympics-top-for-djokovic

BELGRADE - Australian Open champion Novak Djokovic said Tuesday that his main focus this year would be on the Olympic Games and the French Open, a Grand Slam win that would see him hold all four major titles at once.

The French Open was the only Grand Slam that Djokovic failed to win last season as he went as far as the semi-finals for the third time. "The Grand Slam tournaments and the Olympic Games are my priority this year," Djokovic told the Politika daily in an interview published Tuesday.

"Honestly probably Roland Garros is my number one priority but my ambition is unchanged and I'd like to win all tournaments I play in," the world number one said. The five-time Grand Slam winner was confident of his chances on clay in France.

"I am at the top of my game ... I am sure that I could reach the final," he said. Djokovic's victories on clay in 2011 at the Masters in Madrid and Rome have boosted his belief that he can become the first man to complete the Grand Slam - all four major titles in the same year - since Australia's Rod Laver in 1969.

The 24-year-old will also focus on the Olympic Games saying they are "the most prestigious events in the history of sports". "Every one of us should push themselves to give their all (in the Games)," he told the Serbian daily.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-01-30/djokovic-confident-of-calendar-grand-slam/3801006

World number one Novak Djokovic is confidently targeting the greatest prize in tennis - a calendar year grand slam.

Following his herculean six-hour victory over Rafael Nadal in Sunday's Australian Open final, the Serbian star has declared he has the game and the mental strength to win on all surfaces and his next mission will be the French Open.

Already just the fifth man in history to win three straight majors, joining Nadal, Rod Laver, Roger Federer and Pete Sampras, Djokovic believes he can join Laver and Don Budge as the only men's players to have won all four grand slam crowns within a year.

"One player has done it (Laver in the Open era) so it is possible," Djokovic said on Monday.

"Obviously the times are different. Tennis nowadays is much more competitive and much more physical and that makes that challenge more difficult to achieve.

"But everything is possible. I need to go slowly and really take one tournament at a time but grand slams are my biggest priority - including Olympics - and I will try to aim my form for those tournament."

Djokovic described it as "an ultimate challenge to win all four grand slams."

"But the way I'm playing right now I think I have a game that is good enough to win the titles on all surfaces.

"I have proven that, even last year, winning back-to-back Madrid and Rome (on clay) - it was an incredible effort and gives me a lot of confidence and self-belief coming to the clay courts now," he said.

He said he feels ready to win in Paris following his remarkable 5-7, 6-4, 6-2, 6-7 (5-7), 7-5 triumph.

Djokovic said when he woke up just hours after his win and with a few hours sleep he was sore all over and could not yet come to terms with his win.

"I felt lots of pain all over the body, adrenaline is still there and I still am very excited about what I have experienced here in the last two weeks and especially last night.

"And I'm full of joy, but I still don't have a real sense of what is going on. I think I will feel that when I go back home and take some time and enjoy the success."

Djokovic said his confidence was now stratospheric, reinforced by the fact that his win had given him his seventh straight victory over Nadal.

Just a few years ago, before Djokovic discovered he was allergic to gluten and dramatically changed his diet, he had been labelled a flop after a series of retirements and failures in big matches.

At that point he doubted himself continually when he strode onto court against Federer or Nadal.

"At the end of 2010 I won the Davis Cup and the (2011) Australian Open - and that gave me wings," he said.

"I felt when I played two, three or four years ago against Rafa and Roger in grand slam semi-finals and finals that they were just superior on the court.

"I felt they had this mental advantage over all the players because they know when the match is breaking down and it's the fifth set they will always prevail because they believe more and have more experience and they know what to do."

Djokovic candidly admitted he had "lots of doubts."

"Will I make it? Will I be able to become number one and achieve my goals, win Wimbledon, win grand slams against those two guys who are incredibly dominant and strong?

"But I worked hard and I always believed and I had people who were convincing me I had a quality to be at the top and it worked in the end."

« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 07:50:42 PM by swish »

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
Re: Djokovic's Goals for This Year.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 09:44:15 PM »
gosh, I'm so happy. I'm  the only person who has supported him on this site like forever. again, fantastic match. I hope Novak will take FO, W and USO  :whistle:

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 09:52:45 PM »
A lot of words to say

Just win Baby!
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 06:30:33 AM »
gosh, I'm so happy. I'm  the only person who has supported him on this site like forever. again, fantastic match. I hope Novak will take FO, W and USO  :whistle:

Alex if comes up against Murray next your man will lose :whistle:

Offline Richard Miller

• Tennis Player
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 07:19:55 AM »
Strike the iron while it's hot... he's absolutely right and he has the determination and confidence :) When you think that 13 months ago he had one slam, and has won 4/5 slams since, it's mind-boggling. :)

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 01:09:09 PM »

you wish  :)~. it ain't gonna be easy.  Novak is a monster right now. Murray is my second favorite right now as I kinda gave up on Gasquet. Murray does have some work to do.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 09:08:07 AM »
he barely limped past nadal in a 6 hour match which nadal choked it away in the end.......how about focusing on the job than talking about it like this? CYGS + olympic gold is too much to aim at this point.......
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 09:22:30 AM »
he barely limped past nadal in a 6 hour match which nadal choked it away in the end.......how about focusing on the job than talking about it like this? CYGS + olympic gold is too much to aim at this point.......

why too much? both Nole and Rafa are great champions. why not go for everything?

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 09:31:01 AM »
because repeating his last season itself is close to impossible.......of course he can aim whatever he wants but don't you think it's a bit premature to talk about the calender slam in the media just yet? still long long way to go.......
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 09:43:45 AM »
because repeating his last season itself is close to impossible.......of course he can aim whatever he wants but don't you think it's a bit premature to talk about the calender slam in the media just yet? still long long way to go.......
it's sport bud. why not? I know you love Rafa but Novak is creating his own history right now. as simple as that.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 01:22:08 PM »
That's what legends do.

Success demands singleness of purpose.
Vince Lombardi
CONK da ball!!!

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 02:45:53 PM »

you wish  :)~. it ain't gonna be easy.  Novak is a monster right now. Murray is my second favorite right now as I kinda gave up on Gasquet. Murray does have some work to do.

If Murray plays Novak same as Ozz open,he just as much a Tennis Monster on Court.Just wait till the Lendl factor kicks in,be Afraid be very Afraid ;-() :)~
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 02:46:37 PM by sid »

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 05:23:07 PM »
Sid, now I'm really afraid  :)~. now, seriously, I'd love to see Murray winning a major. I really do but ... it's up to Andy to step it up. I think Lendl will help him out in a mental department, so it's all good  :)

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 05:51:48 PM »
CYGS is tooooo far away at this point. So much can happen at this point and in the meantime. Heck Fed tried for 3 consecutive years and I think he was more dominant over his peers than Nole is right now.

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Online Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 06:04:05 PM »
Four in a row is good enough.

I have the feeling he wants Nadal wherever he plays.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 08:35:46 PM »
this is a very good article. I should have posted in the AO thread but this is good  :)
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/glory-in-golden-era-of-mens-tennis/story-fnbe6xeb-1226262260411

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 09:30:24 PM »
this is a very good article. I should have posted in the AO thread but this is good  :)
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/glory-in-golden-era-of-mens-tennis/story-fnbe6xeb-1226262260411

A question i would ask is this.If Murray had been in Nadal's half & thay played @ Ozz,who would you said would have won in SF????????.Myself i think Murray would have beaten Nadal.Why i hear some ask,well just look @ the final & Djokovic having to play 5 set's in SF.Nadal was lucky to be in Roger's half,but i'm please on how the draw came out this time with Murray & Djokovic in same side.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 04:00:49 AM »
^^^sid, it's hard to say. I have this feeling that Murray wouuld have   def. Rafa, but it's just a feeling. I think that Andy played so well against Novak ... probably his best slam. it's just that Nole is a bit better than Andy and Nada atml. I really feel that top guys tried so hard but there could be only one winner. There is nothing that Murray or Nadal should be ashamed of. they didn't chocke, they  were simply def. by a guy who played better.

Offline Richard Miller

• Tennis Player
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 04:02:25 AM »

More like, he beat Nadal who gave his everything, without even playing his top game on that day. And the only reason it went for 6 hours is because Novak choked the 4th, he practically gifted the 5th to Nadal. :) And you can bet he's focusing on the job, next stop, RG :)

CYGS is tooooo far away at this point. So much can happen at this point and in the meantime. Heck Fed tried for 3 consecutive years and I think he was more dominant over his peers than Nole is right now.

Over his peers yes, over Nadal, no.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 04:03:48 AM by Richard Miller »

Online Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2012, 04:24:38 PM »
We still have to see what Murray can bring to the table.
Already I've seen more determination and fight from him than I've seen since he beat Nadal at the '08 USO.
That's a long time ago.

Lendl is doing his things his way and Murray is listening.

I have a feeling there is more to come.