Author Topic: Bethanie Mattek-Sands - Wins the Australian Open Grand Slam!  (Read 533 times)

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
Bethanie Mattek-Sands - Wins the Australian Open Grand Slam!
« on: February 03, 2012, 09:02:09 AM »
http://straightsets.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/29/for-mattek-sands-a-loss-turns-into-a-win/?ref=tennis

"January 29, 2012, 6:45 pm
For Mattek-Sands, a Loss Turns Into a Win

By BEN ROTHENBERG

Greg Wood/Agence France-Presse — Getty ImagesBethanie Mattek-Sands hitting a return against Leander Paes and Elena Vesnina in the mixed doubles final.

MELBOURNE — Few players win their first Grand Slam title because they lost on the first day of the tournament, but that’s exactly what happened to the Minnesota-born Arizona resident Bethanie Mattek-Sands.

Mattek-Sands paired with Horia Tecau of Romania to beat Elena Vesnina of Russia and Leander Paes of India, 6-3, 5-7, 10-3, in the Australian Open mixed doubles final, capping off an improbable run to the final with her first Grand Slam title of any kind.

Mattek-Sands said that had she won her first-round singles match (a three-set loss to No. 8 seed Agnieszka Radwanska), she would not have signed up for the mixed doubles event at all. Because of that loss, she is now a Grand Slam champion.

After winning the title on their first championship point, Mattek-Sands jumped in the air five times before hugging Tecau (who had only jumped once).

Mattek-Sands called the victory the top accomplishment of her career and was especially proud of her finish, despite having her serve broken twice late in the second set.

“You know, I have been in a couple singles finals in WTA events and haven’t been able to close it out,” Mattek-Sands said after the match. “So I think finally closing one out feels awesome.”

For the final, Mattek-Sands, who has been called the Lady Gaga of Tennis, chose a tennis-ball-colored long-sleeved top from which her husband, Justin Sands, had cut off the right sleeve, in order to show off her colorful arm tattoos. She had worn a checkered headband that she had received from the Australian Pat Cash during warm-ups, but switched into a black hat by the start of play.

Mattek-Sands had more intensive mixed-doubles preparation than most heading into the tournament, having previously competed at the mixed-doubles-centric Hopman Cup tournament in Perth with her fellow Minnesotan Mardy Fish.

Like Mattek-Sands, Tecau had never won a Grand Slam title, having lost the men’s doubles finals at Wimbledon in 2010 and 2011 with Robert Lindstedt. His win Sunday made him the first Romanian to win a Grand Slam since Virginia Ruzici won singles and women’s doubles at the 1978 French Open.
"

Probably, the only American to win a 2012 Australian Open Grand Slam that I know of!  I could be wrong too since I did not check the draw finals!

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
Re: Bethanie Mattek-Sands - Wins the Australian Open Grand Slam!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 09:47:11 AM »
gosh, I love Mattek... I need to see some pics. what a crazy woman, kinda remind me of Emma. love it  :rofl_2:

Offline ashwin#1

• Tennis God
  • The Best
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 10:28:21 AM »
gosh, I love Mattek... I need to see some pics. what a crazy woman, kinda remind me of Emma. love it  :rofl_2:

:rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

1. her long socks looks incredibly good on her..but i hate that black strips( probably bug resistant) on her face..
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 10:34:26 AM »

:rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

1. her long socks looks incredibly good on her..but i hate that black strips( probably bug resistant) on her face..
lol. I'm going to find some pics. Mattek is my hero  :)

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 10:43:15 AM »
I love interesting characters. I find Beth so interesting. what a lovely girl. she should be #1 because of her fashion style. one of few girls on the wta I really love so much.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 01:15:06 PM »
Beating Paes on the dubs court is no small feat! :scared:

Unfortunately, she and her partner denied Leander the chance to bag 2 slam titles in one tourney! :(

Nice to see BMS playing some decent tennis. :)
CONK da ball!!!